Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 50 of 237 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lespaul View Post
    I went out and bought a Squeezebox touch too see if it worked with the Berkeley Alpha USB converter. It appears it dos not.
    Everything appears correct, the converter is recognized as a high speed device, and all supported resolutions up to 192kHz is listed.

The problem is that there is no sound. I see from the previous posts that there are a couple of other guys in the same situation with different DAC`s.

I appreciate the work that i being done on this, and I hope that some day I can get this to work with my gear.
    I used a Berkeley Alpha USB with the Touch and EDO (0.5) as well as the Wavelength WaveLink (both use the same Streamlength code) - and it worked no problem. The device is definitely supported, so perhaps you can retrace your steps and see what you did wrong. I don't mean to overstate the obvious, but it is imperative that the Touch be completely powered off, then plug in the Berkeley to the Touch and power up the Berkeley, and then power up the Touch and install EDO with the Berkeley already connected.

Also, if you indeed followed that procedure, after EDO installed were you able to see (and select) the Berkeley when you went to "Digital Output" to select a device?
    Last edited by edwardian; 2012-05-21 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by mldb View Post
    I think having 24/192 I2S capability will make this excellent digital audio player complete. Given that it can output 24/192 with coaxial output, the chip itself is capable in handling it. Just need to find the right setting. Read your post on suggested setting. Hope we can hear good news soon.
    It's a different output from the imx35 chip and has a different device driver. So its not certain the soc can handle it at present. I've not yet looked at this again.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardian View Post
    I used a Berkeley Alpha USB with the Touch and EDO (0.5) as well as the Wavelength WaveLink (both use the same Streamlength code) - and it worked no problem. The device is definitely supported, so perhaps you can retrace your steps and see what you did wrong. I don't mean to overstate the obvious, but it is imperative that the Touch be completely powered off, then plug in the Berkeley to the Touch and power up the Berkeley, and then power up the Touch and install EDO with the Berkeley already connected.

Also, if you indeed followed that procedure, after EDO installed were you able to see (and select) the Berkeley when you went to "Digital Output" to select a device?
    Thank you edwardian, after reading your post i reset to factory settings and gave it another try, and this time it worked
    BTW, did you compare the SBT to a PC or MAC? My initial impression is that I get slightly better sound from a PC, but I need to do some more testing.

Please take this discussion to the audiophile board - I am happy to discuss there on the thread set up specifically to discuss sound quality and tuning of EDO. I will post a response there. Anyone wishing to follow this conversation can do so here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ty-impressions

In each of the cases below I fear you have probably been caught out by the placebo effect - I can see no technical reason why settings will have an impact on sound quality and I would like to end this conversation here as it is distracting from conversation of the EDO app and issues users have installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SBGK View Post
    Can confirm that 0.7 version makes my ears bleed with it's strident treble, unlistenable in my setup, so something must have changed to alter the sound.

For me 0.6 is near perfect, whether it is a technically worse version than 0.7 and 0.6 is compensating for some defiency in my setup - I don't know, but 0.6 sounds amazing for me. I'll stick with that for now.
    Do you have a view on why changing the settings in file /etc/squeezeplay/userpath/settings/SqueezeboxFab4.lua to point to the same device as in EnhancedDigitalOutput.lua seems to moderate the harsh sound that some have reported with the EDO mods ?
    I remembered Soundchecks post on page 7 asking about the nrpacks parameter

So tried a few options, EDO default is 8, I guess the recommendation is 1 for better latency. As is my want, I tried larger values and sure enough a less digital sound was produced, I have tried the value below and it works for all sample rates on my VLink 192 and the result is a gorgeous liquid sound. It's a keeper for me.

echo 15000000000 > /sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/nrpacks

Quote Originally Posted by Lespaul View Post
    Thank you edwardian, after reading your post i reset to factory settings and gave it another try, and this time it worked
    BTW, did you compare the SBT to a PC or MAC? My initial impression is that I get slightly better sound from a PC, but I need to do some more testing.
    I don't want to get too much into sound quality discussions in this thread (per Triode's request), but to answer your question - I do not have a souped up audiophile optimized PC or Mac to compare to, however I did compare to my run-of-the-mill Sony laptop and the SB Touch was significantly better. Caveat: I have a third-party linear PSU on the Touch, and a lot of software tweaks on my LMS server as well as the Touch (including Soundcheck's TT3.0). YMMV.

What do "large" etc. mean numerically, as implemented, in the buffer option settings? Somehow I thought we'd be able to set it manually or choose among some specific size options (as a subset of each main option). Not saying it'll matter here with EDO, but it certainly does matter with some "other" software. Thanks.

Nad m51 dac

I still can't get the SBT to work with the NAD M51 DAC. The DAC appears as one of the devices available when in the Digital output menu but I get no sound. Works with the Audiophilleo 2.

Quote Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
    What do "large" etc. mean numerically, as implemented, in the buffer option settings? Somehow I thought we'd be able to set it manually or choose among some specific size options (as a subset of each main option). Not saying it'll matter here with EDO, but it certainly does matter with some "other" software. Thanks.
    desc = "BUFFER_DEFAULT", time = 20000, count = 2
    desc = "BUFFER_LARGE", time = 100000, count = 4
    desc = "BUFFER_SMALL", time = 4000, count = 2
    desc = "BUFFER_RAND", time = 100000, count = 104
    desc = "BUFFER_VLARGE", time =4000000, count = 4
    desc = "BUFFER_VLRAND", time =4000000, count = 104

Guido F.
    Music Room:
    Marantz TT 15S1, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge>ART ADC>Vinyl Studio
    CISCO Router>DLink Bridge>Vortexbox Appliance/Squeezelite>SOtM Card>REGEN>Benchmark DAC2 D>Little Dot Mk 9 Preamp>DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core DRC/EQ/Preamp+CIA PS>Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
    REL T1 Sub
    Bedroom:
    Squeezebox Touch (analog out)>Little Dot Mk III amp>AKG K701 headphones
    Sony D100 amp>PSB alpha B1 speakers
    Treadmill:
    FiiO X3 Digital Music Player>AKG K550 headphones

Lost EDO

Hi guys

I've just updated my Touch to 762 r9545 and Triode's wonderful app has disappeared off the 3rd party list. What gives?

Update

Strange. It's prompting me to update to 7.7.2, reinstalling Triode's app, then asking to go back to 7.6.2!!, removing his app in the process. Any ideas anyone?