Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 224 of 237 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 2365
  1. #2231
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Have you tried to connect the DAC to the SBTouch via a passive USB hub?
    No, I haven't. I thought that was only required for USB 1.1 devices?
    BR.

  2. #2232
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Learnincurve View Post
    No, I haven't. I thought that was only required for USB 1.1 devices?
    BR.
    I know that is recommended in the first post by Triode but if you have one available, why not try? It won't do any harm.

    Ronnie.

  3. #2233
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I know that is recommended in the first post by Triode but if you have one available, why not try? It won't do any harm.

    Ronnie.
    I wanted to do this yesterday, but didn't find time to source one. Will borrow one from work today and try.

    The main reason I didn't think to try it is that the DAC seems to play PCM just fine at up to 24/192, and I do hear a difference in quality from 96 to 192 (but that might be psychoachoustics )

    so I couldn't imagine a mechanism for 22/192 PCM working and encapsulated DSD at 24/176 failing, but it could be that my 192 stream is being downsampled somewhere over direct USB and that the DAC is only receiving a 96kHz stream (there's no readout on the DAC itself). That would obvioulsy kill the dsd content of the stream. It will be interesting to try.

    Then there is the question of whether the hub degrades the signal in any way and what steps can be taken to avoid that .

    Thanks for all the help so far.

    If I don't get there soon, there is an increasingly strong smell of a DIY Raspberry Pi Squeezebox coming soon

    BR.

    --Marius--

  4. #2234
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Learnincurve View Post
    Then there is the question of whether the hub degrades the signal in any way and what steps can be taken to avoid that .
    In what way would it degrade the signal, and what effect would that have?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  5. #2235
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    In what way would it degrade the signal, and what effect would that have?
    Others claim to hear big differences when using solid gold, triple-isolated USB cables of no more than 10 cm length (all exaggerated a bit for effect), so I imagined that putting a 10$ passive hub in the path might be a problem.

  6. #2236
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Learnincurve View Post
    Others claim to hear big differences when using solid gold, triple-isolated USB cables of no more than 10 cm length (all exaggerated a bit for effect), so I imagined that putting a 10$ passive hub in the path might be a problem.
    Well, yes, once we move into the realm of human psychology, everything is of course possible
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  7. #2237
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Well, yes, once we move into the realm of human psychology, everything is of course possible
    Placebo is a powerful drug. especially if it costs a lot! There's no doubt that my touch won't sound anything like as good with a cheap hub between it and the DAC.

  8. #2238
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    130
    Tried the hub and rebooted, sadly no difference

  9. #2239
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4
    I can't make EDO working..I tried software 7.7..and 7.8...,button factory settings and still have no output on USB to Amanero and have no DAC list in "Select Audio Output".Please help.What do I wrong?

  10. #2240
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by oskarkowal View Post
    I can't make EDO working..I tried software 7.7..and 7.8...,button factory settings and still have no output on USB to Amanero and have no DAC list in "Select Audio Output".Please help.What do I wrong?

    Hi Oskar, first try to uninstall the EDO

    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...actory-default

    Then follow these instructions by Ralphy

    on the Touch go to Settings->Advanced->Applet Installer, unselect "Recommended Applets Only" and two new applets should appear in the list: Kernel Updater and Enhanced Digital Output - install them one at a time (touch will reboot each time you install one). You only need to install the Kernel Updater if you need to use one of the test kernels.
    do the install with the Amanero connected to the SBTouch, it should work, see here,

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...YKQ/edit#gid=0

    atb

    Ronnie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •