Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 151 of 237 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 2367
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    My DAC is a M2Tech Evo, and it will only handle 24/192 over coax too.
    The best I've managed over optical is 24/96, but I'm not sure if the limiting part is the optical out from the Touch or the optical in on the DAC.
    I suspect that it's the Touch - why put in a faster pulsing optical unit when the unit is designed to handle 24/96?
    On my system the limitation is definitely the optical input on my M1-CL1C (stated in the manual to only support 24/96)

Using my Vortexbox Appliance, Squeezelite and a Meridian Explorer USB DAC with optical output, I have sent 24/192 PCM over optical to a Marantz M-CR603, at least that's what the squeezelite log says. The Marantz manual doesn't say what it will support over optical, and doesn't have a display saying what it is receiving, but the Meridian DAC says it is processing 24/192, and it all seems to work.

I don't know why the Touch would be limited on optical out - maybe others will know.
    LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.10, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Alternatively Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 17.10 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    On my system the limitation is definitely the optical input on my M1-CL1C (stated in the manual to only support 24/96)

Using my Vortexbox Appliance, Squeezelite and a Meridian Explorer USB DAC with optical output, I have sent 24/192 PCM over optical to a Marantz M-CR603, at least that's what the squeezelite log says. The Marantz manual doesn't say what it will support over optical, and doesn't have a display saying what it is receiving, but the Meridian DAC says it is processing 24/192, and it all seems to work.

I don't know why the Touch would be limited on optical out - maybe others will know.
    It's the speed of the optical send unit - it ain't fast enough.
    The original spec for the Touch was 24/96 files max.
    EDO is not an officially supported plugin, and without EDO the Touch doesn't do 24/192 natively.
    Chris :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    It's the speed of the optical send unit - it ain't fast enough.
    The original spec for the Touch was 24/96 files max.
    EDO is not an officially supported plugin, and without EDO the Touch doesn't do 24/192 natively.
    Fair enough, but since the original problem was with a V-DAC II optical input, and the spec for that is quite explicit about only supporting 24/96, it really doesn't matter to Riplee whether the Touch can do it or not with EDO.
    LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.10, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Wireless Xubuntu 17.10 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by Riplee View Post
    .. but I must say...the settings in the LMS under File Types is a bit confusing...perhaps someone can tell me exactly how that should be set to send FALC and not wav...just to be sure.
    Any input appreciated!!

Riplee
    Assuming your files are all in FLAC format, go to the File Types entry for FLAC. This shows

Code:
    AIFF
    FLAC
    MP3
    PCM
    To send data in FLAC format, requiring decompression on the Touch, set all to 'disabled' except FLAC, which should be set to 'native'.

To send WAV (PCM), set all to 'disabled' except PCM, which should be set to 'flac'. A flax.exe (or similar) process will then run on the LMS server converting all FLACs to PCM and sending them out in that format.

(If I've got this wrong I'm sure someone will tell me )

Assuming your files are all in FLAC format, go to the File Types entry for FLAC. This shows

Code:
    AIFF
    FLAC
    MP3
    PCM
    To send data in FLAC format, requiring decompression on the Touch, set all to 'disabled' except FLAC, which should be set to 'native'.

To send WAV (PCM), set all to 'disabled' except PCM, which should be set to 'flac'. A flax.exe (or similar) process will then run on the LMS server converting all FLACs to PCM and sending them out in that format.

(If I've got this wrong I'm sure someone will tell me )
    I think this works, but the default settings (which is what I use) will always play FLAC as native to every player. My settings (default) are;

FLAC file category:

AIFF - FLAC
    FLAC - native
    mp3 - flac/lame
    pcm - flac
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thank You everyone for the info. I guess I should have looked into this more before asking, but I now know more about this than I did last night. I just found this: "The V-DAC II inputs include Coax (24/192), Toslink (24/96) and Asynchronous USB (24/96)"

The info on setting the LMS correctly is helpful, no doubt. Well...now I need to consider if getting anew DAC is worth it...I vote Yes, but the wife may not.

Thanks Again!

I've installed LMS 7.7.3 and now my Touch, which has the EDO firmware installed, is trying to update its firmware. Any way I can stop this happening, or update EDO to avoid it?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by onlyconnect View Post
    I've installed LMS 7.7.3 and now my Touch, which has the EDO firmware installed, is trying to update its firmware. Any way I can stop this happening, or update EDO to avoid it?

Tim
    why not let it update the firmware? Shouldn't cause any problem with EDO. EDO works with 7.8 as well. In your Touch, you may need to go into Applets and tick reinstall on them (or better yet, I always tick the box for auto reinstall of applets)
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by onlyconnect View Post

Tim
    If you stop the automatic server updates (Settings, Advanced, Software Updates) the automatic Touch updates should stop as well, if that's what you want. As has been said, the EDO Kernel should be OK with automatic LMS updates.

If you stop the automatic server updates (Settings, Advanced, Software Updates) the automatic Touch updates should stop as well, if that's what you want. As has been said, the EDO Kernel should be OK with automatic LMS updates.
    Thanks both. I've updated the firmware and reinstalled both Kernel updater and EDO applets, reinstalled Kernel #12 (which works with my Teac DAC) and all is well.

Tim