Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 12 of 191 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tank121 View Post
    So what new high end DAC uses USB2? The Mdac is less than six months old
    MDAC will handle 24/192 over coax.
    At least that's what is said on the Audiolab website http://www.audiolab.co.uk/M-DAC%20Series.aspx?lang=En

Why the hangup about USB?

Chris
    Chris :)

Quote Originally Posted by PietB View Post
    info (touch) shows: high speed : USB audio
    16/44 plays good, pitch higher then normal, 24/48 pitch slow

/$ cat /etc/asound.conf
    # fab4 alsa configuration
    Could you post the /proc/asound/<card>/stream0 details?

Does the dac work correctly with a linux desktop machine? - if not then we don't have much chance of making it work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    Could you post the /proc/asound/<card>/stream0 details?

Does the dac work correctly with a linux desktop machine? - if not then we don't have much chance of making it work here.
    I have no Linux desktop machine. Under Win7 works OK (however, Asus driver installed)

In /proc/asound/ only files with size 0 for card0 to card3, can't find stream0 details

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    MDAC will handle 24/192 over coax.
    At least that's what is said on the Audiolab website http://www.audiolab.co.uk/M-DAC%20Series.aspx?lang=En
    It will - this is how I tested the 192k over coax output.

Why the hangup about USB?
    Async USB allows clock locking to the dac.

Many devices don't do usb class 2 as MS windows do not support a native driver for it. USB audio class 1 has native drivers for windows as well as osx and linux and so are most common. It looks like there are a number of usb audio class 2 solutions now becoming available for dac vendors and so we are seeing an increased availability of them. Note that these will need to distribute a driver file for windows though.

Quote Originally Posted by PietB View Post
    I have no Linux desktop machine. Under Win7 works OK (however, Asus driver installed)

In /proc/asound/ only files with size 0 for card0 to card3, can't find stream0 details
    Does it have special drivers for osx as well - if so it is not a usb audio class 1 or 2 device and won't work. If there are no entries for a card with stream0 then it suggests the usb audio code does not understand it - what does dmesg say?

Smile cpuIdleFullspeed setting

hi,

have changed the cpuIdleFullspeed=true to false as it was giving an enhanced and unnatural high frequency sound, think this was caused by jitter produced by the cpu running
    flat out. Sound is now a lot better balanced and bass has returned as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SBGK View Post
    hSound is now a lot better balanced and bass has returned as well.
    Let's keep these discussions on tweaking to the audiophile forum please.

Smile 192 uncompressed flac

it is a switch that you describe in your install instructions and can only be set through your gui, so it is hardly a tweak.

you said you didn't know if it had any effect on the sound, well now you do.

this is an attempt to provide you with feedback, others may be interested in these findings as well.

Apologies, if these posts offend you in any way.

Anyway, the big news.

I have uncompressed a 192 flac to uncompressed flac using dbpoweramp (148 mb to 274 mb) ie it is PCM with a flac wrapper and it plays via your fantastic mod.

checked the network and it is streaming at 10Mbs vs 4 Mbs for the 192 flac so it is definatley playing the uncompressed flac as PCM

So there you go it can play 192 PCM and we don't need another kernel upgrade.

Congratulations again. Best upgrade ever

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    Let's keep these discussions on tweaking to the audiophile forum please.
    Odd, triode, because YOUR APP IS A TWEAK!

Effect on I2S signals

Great work, Triode.

I use the I2S signals going into the Touch DAC to feed my custom outboard DAC.

Do you know whether your mod allows the 192K bit rate to appear as I2S signals here (or anywhere else) in the Touch??

I sure hope so, but my guess is that when the analog output is disabled, so are the I2S signals going to the DAC.

Thanks, Jack