Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 230 of 235 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 2349

Kernel #7

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Unfortunately, no one has been able to provide the missing test kernel bin packages listed above.

So, here are the steps to extract the current edo test kernel running on your touch.

Login to the touch as root with ssh from a unix machine or putty on windows.

You will need to enable ssh in the Settings->Advanced->Remote login->Enable SSH menu, if you have not already enabled it.

ssh -l root touch.ip.add.ress
    default password is 1234

Make sure touch is running edo kernel.

# uname -a
    Linux SqueezeboxTouch 2.6.26.8-rt16-332-g5849bfa #1[usb] PREEMPT RT Sun Apr 1 23:12:00 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Provide the output from uname -a along with the kernel image file.

# uname -a > /tmp/kernel-usb.uname

Also, provide the kernel description you installed originally, if you remember, so I can use that for the description in the edo kernel menu.

Extract the edo kernel from flash. File includes the entire 2MB mtd partition, not just the kernel zImage file.

# dd if=/dev/mtdblock:kernel > /tmp/kernel-usb.img

Use scp from the touch or winscp from another computer to copy both files /tmp/kernel-usb.uname and /tmp/kernel-usb.img from the touch.

# scp -p /tmp/kernel-usb.uname user@hostname:/tmp
    # scp -p /tmp/kernel-usb.img user@hostname:/tmp

Add both files to a zip and provide a download link to it.

I should be able to recreate a kernel bin file from the zip and add it to the kernel updater menu. I have successfully recreated the default kernel bin, test #11 and #12 packages. Hopefully it's the same for the missing ones.

I'll note these are untested until a brave user has tried them and confirms it worked. If it fails, you will likely need to factory reset your touch to recover from the failure.
    Hi Ralphy,
    i am using KERNEL #7.

Here is the output of your commands:

Code:
    # uname -a
    Linux SqueezeboxTouch 2.6.26.8-rt16-332-g5849bfa #999[usb] PREEMPT RT Wed May 2 20:14:28 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
    4032+0 records in
    4032+0 records out
    Here the link to download the files:
    https://ufile.io/298ce
    https://uploadfiles.io/e434b

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elite1967 View Post
    Hi Ralphy,
    i am using KERNEL #7.

Here is the output of your commands:

Code:
    # uname -a
    Linux SqueezeboxTouch 2.6.26.8-rt16-332-g5849bfa #999[usb] PREEMPT RT Wed May 2 20:14:28 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
    4032+0 records in
    4032+0 records out
    Here the link to download the files:
    https://ufile.io/298ce
    https://uploadfiles.io/e434b

thanks
    Test kernel #7 is now available from the Kernel Updater applet.

Triode's original fab4-kernels.xml has the md5 checksums for each test kernel zImage file so there should be no need for "brave testers".

The zImage file I extracted from your mtd image file matched the md5sum of the original.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

I2S standard

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    To pick some nits, there has been a comprehensive standard for I2S since 1986 (here).

I guess you are talking about a standard for using I2S as an external interconnect instead of between individual circuits (I2S stands for "Inter-IC Sound" after all).
    You're not picking nits, it's valid information.
    Only you should pay special attention to chapter 5.0 about voltage levels: "Note: At present, TTL is considered a standard for logic levels. As other IC (LSI) technologies become popular, other levels will also be supported." And that's exactly the problem. There's no standard for voltage levels, some brands use 5v while others use 3.3v. Trust me, I've been down that road trying to connect a 3.3v I2S output signal to a 5v device. It didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by speedycat View Post
    You're not picking nits, it's valid information.
    Only you should pay special attention to chapter 5.0 about voltage levels: "Note: At present, TTL is considered a standard for logic levels. As other IC (LSI) technologies become popular, other levels will also be supported." And that's exactly the problem. There's no standard for voltage levels, some brands use 5v while others use 3.3v. Trust me, I've been down that road trying to connect a 3.3v I2S output signal to a 5v device. It didn't work.
    Yes, the 3.3V vs 5V issue is annoying (and not just related to I2S), but at least that is only two alternatives instead of many more. Remember, "the nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from".
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I can confirm that the Hegel H360 works perfectly with the SBT USB-out.

I tried with the Schiit Gungir Multibit and couldn't get it working with USB, only digital outputs. I have a Regen Amber coming in the mail, which might help.

The Regen was purchased as the SBT USB-Out was only showing 4.63V and wanted to get that up to 5V which the Regen should do. Being a powered USB hub, it may help the Schiit Gungir work as well.

I wish there was something I could use to confirm the sample rates coming out of the SBT as none of the DACs I own have indicator lights or read-outs.
    I know this was an old post but I just got my Gumby this weekend and I can confirm it works perfectly with the Touch via USB. Most likely the usb cable is the problem, mine is only 30cm.

sample rates

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I wish there was something I could use to confirm the sample rates coming out of the SBT as none of the DACs I own have indicator lights or read-outs.
    If you go to Settings/Audio Settings/Digital Output/USB Audio - xxx [Info]/ you will see a Frequency reading.

Kernel install failed

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    List of known working dacs maintained by the community:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...zNmFMZnc#gid=0

I've posted a new applet to the 3rd party apps list for Squeezebox Touch. This is designed to enhance the digital output capabilities of the device for use with external Dacs. It is based on the software which people have helped me test on the "Async USB Dac Experiments" thread but should now be suitable for less experienced users to install.

The app should add support of the following to your Squeezebox Touch:
    - External USB dacs using either USB audio class 1 or 2 protocols [USB 1 dacs normally state they support up to 96k sample rates, USB 2 dacs normally state up to 192k]
    - Support of 176 and 192k playback via the standard digital output

There are a number of limitations to be aware of:
    1) USB 1 dacs which operate in asynchronous mode probably need an external high speed hub to work without "clicks" - this is due to what appears to be a limitation in the Touch hardware. It is completely resolved with a cheap (<$10) bus powered hub connected between the dac and squeezebox. There is a workaround option which works with some dacs if a hub is not used, but it limits playback to 44/48k sample rates. At present is has only been proved to work with Audiolab/Lakewest dacs.
    2) USB support does not yet support hot plugging of usb dacs - please connect your dac and leave turned on at present [this is likely to improve in future]
    3) 192k playback requires a dac which supports it and is only supported with flac files using native decoding at present. [In future 7.8 LMS and firmware should support 192k wav streaming] It will also require sufficient bandwidth on your network.
    4) Only one output can be selected at once, this means when a USB dac or the Digital Output are selected there will be no sound on the analog outputs.

The app is called "Enhanced Digital Output" and is the main 3rd party apps list.

To install, please following the following steps:
    1) Ensure your Squeezebox Touch is running 7.7.x or later firmware
    2) Go to Apps Gallery -> 3rd Party Apps on the touch screen
    3) Deselect the "recommended applets only" option, so that you see a longer list of apps
    4) Select "Enhanced Digital Output" and select it for installation
    5) Your touch should download the app, reboot, then download a new custom linux kernel and reboot again
    6) You should now get a list of possible output devices - this should include "Digital Output" and your USB Dac if it is plugged in, select the appropriate output
    7) Touch should reboot again and then be ready to start playing with the selected output

If you want to change the output go to Setting > Audio Settings > Digital Output; if you want to change some of the advanced options go to Settings > Advanced > Digital Output

Please note that if you perform a firmware update, then the app and kernel will need to be reinstalled, this should be automated just requiring you to install the app again or to have the "reinstall after update" option selected from the 3rd party apps list.

If you want to completely remove the app, then uninstall it and force a firmware upgrade to reinstall the Logitech firmware and kernel.

Please post your feedback on this thread - I would like to create a list of USB DACs which are known to work with it, we started that on the experiment thread, but I think it would be cleaner to maintain a list here.
    I am getting the issue kernel install failed. to save reading 230 pages, is there a quick and easy way to fix this?

Thanks

Add Kef LS50 Wireless USB dac input to tour list of out of the box working dacs!

I'm thrilled to report the KEF LS50 Wireless DAC "just works"!

SBTouch with EDO and hiFace1 based USB DACs/converters

I have often used the usb output on the SBT into my NorthStar Essensio DAC.

This evening I tried to load the driver without success and contacted the author via e-mail.

Within the hour he had replied, confirming that an alteration was needed at his end; and success, everything works as before.

Well done Michael Glad , and here is his web page as a reminder

https://www.aysabtu.dk/blog/

Ronnie

USB output not working after update to 7.7.9.1

Please help! My Touch will not play through USB after upgrading to version 7.7.9.1, necessary to install the Spotty plugin.

My LMS is on a Windows 7 PC and was at version 7.7.5. The Touch was running the corresponding software version (I think 7.7.5 also) and EDO. It has worked perfectly with my DAC for a number of years. Never required any special settings.

I downloaded and installed the 7.9.1 (August 2, 2017) server version. All good. The touch then updated to 7.8.0. Again good.

At first the Touch was completely silent with the new version. The screen acted normally, bringing up the album art, progress bar, etc. Then the position counters immediately disappear and nothing happened. No sound from any of the outputs and no movement on the screen.

But I noticed there was no "Digital Output" option in Settings. I went to the "Applet Installer" and found EDO 0.9 and installed. The Touch now responds and plays normally through the analog, coax, and toslink outputs. But still no sound out of USB, and when in USB mode the screen responds as described above. The Stop/Play control does not respond but the other controls all appear to work, while the Touch produces no sound.

Going to the Web Remote Control on the server indicates mostly normal operation. It shows music streaming to the Touch, with progress bar and position counters working. But there is no sound from the Touch. The one problem is the same track repeats even though the Repeat option is not selected.

I then decided to remove and reinstall the EDO kernel. I attempted to follow these instructions found on this site:
    --------------------------------------
    To revert everything back to the original stage and factory defaults:
    - Power on the SBT
    - Hold down the little reset button on the back of the SBT just above the DC power plug for 10 seconds. This does the factory reset of the settings, but NOT of the installed Kernel !
    - Let the SBT boot up to "Factory Settings".
    - Go to the Software Updating Menu (in settings, extended settings)
    - Force to "update" the Logitech Firmware
    - Let the SBT boot up completely.
    - Do another factory reset
    This procedure is copied from another website, if you search in the EDO threads there is also an uninstall procedure,
    --------------------------------------

The problem is, after booting to Factory Settings there is no "extended settings" but I assume "advanced" is what was meant. But there is no "force to update to Logitech firmware" option. The only option is to "Factory Reset" which does the same thing as the reset button. There is also a 'Software Update" option but that offers to revert to 7.7.8, not what I need. I also found the "Digital Output Kernel Update" option under Digital Output and ran it. Same results, no sound from USB.

I have shut down everything and rebooted computer, LMS, DAC, and Touch numerous times and the problem persists.

I searched EDO threads on this site and was not able to find anything helpful.

I hope someone can help me get the USB output working again.

Thanks
    Mark