X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Triode
    • Apr 2005

Announce: Enhanced Digital Output app - USB Dac and 192k Digital Ouput

List of known working dacs maintained by the community:

I've posted a new applet to the 3rd party apps list for Squeezebox Touch. This is designed to enhance the digital output capabilities of the device for use with external Dacs. It is based on the software which people have helped me test on the "Async USB Dac Experiments" thread but should now be suitable for less experienced users to install.

The app should add support of the following to your Squeezebox Touch:
    - External USB dacs using either USB audio class 1 or 2 protocols [USB 1 dacs normally state they support up to 96k sample rates, USB 2 dacs normally state up to 192k]
    - Support of 176 and 192k playback via the standard digital output

There are a number of limitations to be aware of:
    1) USB 1 dacs which operate in asynchronous mode probably need an external high speed hub to work without "clicks" - this is due to what appears to be a limitation in the Touch hardware. It is completely resolved with a cheap (<$10) bus powered hub connected between the dac and squeezebox. There is a workaround option which works with some dacs if a hub is not used, but it limits playback to 44/48k sample rates. At present is has only been proved to work with Audiolab/Lakewest dacs.
    2) USB support does not yet support hot plugging of usb dacs - please connect your dac and leave turned on at present [this is likely to improve in future]
    3) 192k playback requires a dac which supports it and is only supported with flac files using native decoding at present. [In future 7.8 LMS and firmware should support 192k wav streaming] It will also require sufficient bandwidth on your network.
    4) Only one output can be selected at once, this means when a USB dac or the Digital Output are selected there will be no sound on the analog outputs.

The app is called "Enhanced Digital Output" and is the main 3rd party apps list.

To install, please following the following steps:
    1) Ensure your Squeezebox Touch is running 7.7.x or later firmware
    2) Go to Apps Gallery -> 3rd Party Apps on the touch screen
    3) Deselect the "recommended applets only" option, so that you see a longer list of apps
    4) Select "Enhanced Digital Output" and select it for installation
    5) Your touch should download the app, reboot, then download a new custom linux kernel and reboot again
    6) You should now get a list of possible output devices - this should include "Digital Output" and your USB Dac if it is plugged in, select the appropriate output
    7) Touch should reboot again and then be ready to start playing with the selected output

If you want to change the output go to Setting > Audio Settings > Digital Output; if you want to change some of the advanced options go to Settings > Advanced > Digital Output

Please note that if you perform a firmware update, then the app and kernel will need to be reinstalled, this should be automated just requiring you to install the app again or to have the "reinstall after update" option selected from the 3rd party apps list.

If you want to completely remove the app, then uninstall it and force a firmware upgrade to reinstall the Logitech firmware and kernel.

Please post your feedback on this thread - I would like to create a list of USB DACs which are known to work with it, we started that on the experiment thread, but I think it would be cleaner to maintain a list here.
    Last edited by Triode; 2012-11-30, 18:05.
  • stereoptic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Triode
    I've posted a new applet to the 3rd party apps list for Squeezebox Touch. .....
    This is exciting news! I don't presently have any 192k files with which to test this yet, though.

Comment

• leoduran
      • Jan 2012

For some reason, I can't get the &quot;App Gallery -&gt; 3rd Party Apps&quot; option on my Touch..

So instead, I tried: "Settings->Advanced->App Installer"... And from there, deselected the "Recommended applets only" option, but I do not get "Enhanced Digital Output" as an option.

Ummh, am I doing something wrong?
      Thanks.
      Last edited by leoduran; 2012-04-07, 20:05. Reason: typo

Comment

• Triode
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by leoduran
        So instead, I tried: "Settings->Advanced->App Installer"... And from there, deselected the "Recommended applets only" option, but I do not get "Enhanced Digital Output" as an option.

Ummh, am I doing something wrong?
        Thanks.
        Needs to be a squeezeobox touch running 7.7.x firmware - could it be that you have older firmware?

Comment

• leoduran
          • Jan 2012

Software Update

Needs to be a squeezeobox touch running 7.7.x firmware - could it be that you have older firmware?
          I suppose you're right... Here's what I've done so far:
          1) Went back to factory settings
          2) As prompted, performed a "Software Update" to: 7.7.2r9663
          3) Having done that, I do get the option for:App Gallery->3rd Party Apps
          4) So, I then follow the installation procedure for the "Enahanced Digital Output" app (selecting the "reinstall app after update" option)
          5) After rebooting, I selected the "Anedio D2" USB DAC (which was plugged in)
          6) I can now select & play music using the iPad (SqueezePad app), while the Touch is prompting me for a "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377
          7) But, if I select that "Software Update", the USB DAC connection is gone, and I no longer get these options: (a) App Gallery->3rd Party Apps (b) Settings -> Audio Settings -> Digital Output
          (NOTE: prior to doing the "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377, I had selected the "reinstall app after update" option)
          8) Also, "Settings->Advanced->Software Update" only shows "7.5.3r9377" as an option

So, the only way I'm able to stay connected to the USB DAC is by selecting music from the iPad app, while the Touch keeps prompting for a "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377 (as described by step #6)
          Thanks.
          Last edited by leoduran; 2012-04-07, 21:25.

Comment

• Triode
            • Apr 2005

I suppose you're right... Here's what I've done so far:
            1) Went back to factory settings
            2) As prompted, performed a "Software Update" to: 7.7.2r9663
            3) Having done that, I do get the option for:App Gallery->3rd Party Apps
            4) So, I then follow the installation procedure for the "Enahanced Digital Output" app (selecting the "reinstall app after update" option)
            5) After rebooting, I selected the "Anedio D2" USB DAC (which was plugged in)
            6) I can now select & play music using the iPad (SqueezePad app), while the Touch is prompting me for a "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377
            7) But, if I select that "Software Update", the USB DAC connection is gone, and I no longer get these options: (a) App Gallery->3rd Party Apps (b) Settings -> Audio Settings -> Digital Output
            (NOTE: prior to doing the "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377, I had selected the "reinstall app after update" option)
            8) Also, "Settings->Advanced->Software Update" only shows "7.5.3r9377" as an option

So, the only way I'm able to stay connected to the USB DAC is by selecting music from the iPad app, while the Touch keeps prompting for a "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377 (as described by step #6)
            Thanks.
            You either need to update your server software to 7.7 or to ignore the firmware update to 7.5.3 message [this is downgrading the firmware] by swiping right on the update screen and not selecting it. The new code is only tested with firmware 7.7 and later and so I want to make sure you have this firmware installed. Its likely that this will work with older server software, but its far more preferable to update the server software.

Comment

• leoduran
              • Jan 2012

You either need to update your server software to 7.7 or to ignore the firmware update to 7.5.3 message [this is downgrading the firmware] by swiping right on the update screen and not selecting it. The new code is only tested with firmware 7.7 and later and so I want to make sure you have this firmware installed. Its likely that this will work with older server software, but its far more preferable to update the server software.
              OK, I'll try upgrading the server side... Right now I'm running with: Version: 7.5.3 - r31792
              Thanks for doing such a great job so far... I'm looking forward to a "clean" way of using Async USB at 24/192K.

Comment

• Triode
                • Apr 2005

OK, I'll try upgrading the server side... Right now I'm running with: Version: 7.5.3 - r31792
                Thanks for doing such a great job so far... I'm looking forward to a "clean" way of using Async USB at 24/192K.
                This is an XMOS based USB class 2 dac?

Comment

• leoduran
                  • Jan 2012

About Anedio D2

This is an XMOS based USB class 2 dac?
                  Yes, it is... D2 info: http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/d2_overview
                  There's also a separate USB-to-SPDIF converter based on the same XMOS design... U2 info: http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/u2_overview

Comment

• tank121
                    • Apr 2008

I've got an Mdac connected currently via Belden based coaxial. Will this improve the sound? Any fellow Mdac owners running it?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
                    Squeezebox touch
                    Logitech Media server 7.9.1 running on Asus Beebox 3050 SFF Pc with USB 3.0 750GB HD
                    Arcam SA10 amplifier
                    Chord rumour speaker cable
                    Dali Mentor Menuets on Custom Design stands

Comment

• Triode
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by tank121
                      I've got an Mdac connected currently via Belden based coaxial. Will this improve the sound? Any fellow Mdac owners running it?
                      Works for me with MDAC- if you only want 44.1/48 kHz sample rate support then you can try it with just a usb cable (A-B). If you want 96k support then you will need an external hub. You can also add a usb isolator - waiting for others to report back the sound quality improvement (or otherwise) of this.

Comment

• HumanMedia
                        • Mar 2011

Just checking if I can install it over the top of Touch Toolbox 3.0?
                        Uninstall that first?

Comment

• stereoptic
                          • Jan 2012

Does a DAC need to be connected while the app is being installed? My only DAC is the one built into my Marantz receiver (can accept up to 192k).

Comment

• Triode
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by HumanMedia
                            Just checking if I can install it over the top of Touch Toolbox 3.0?
                            Uninstall that first?
                            You are best to uninstall first - I've not looked at in detail, but I think some of the TT modification for priories will conflict with the app if you use usb output.

Comment

• Triode
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by stereoptic
                              Does a DAC need to be connected while the app is being installed? My only DAC is the one built into my Marantz receiver (can accept up to 192k).
                              This is only necessary for usb based dacs - I assume this is not - just install without dac and then select "Digital Output" to use the digital output to the dac. Note when you do this, the analog output is not used - you need to reset the output to Digital + Analog (which is the default and won't do 192k) if you want analog to work.

Comment

Working...