Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 175 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1750
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,730

    Announce: Enhanced Digital Output app - USB Dac and 192k Digital Ouput

    List of known working dacs maintained by the community:

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...zNmFMZnc#gid=0

    I've posted a new applet to the 3rd party apps list for Squeezebox Touch. This is designed to enhance the digital output capabilities of the device for use with external Dacs. It is based on the software which people have helped me test on the "Async USB Dac Experiments" thread but should now be suitable for less experienced users to install.

    The app should add support of the following to your Squeezebox Touch:
    - External USB dacs using either USB audio class 1 or 2 protocols [USB 1 dacs normally state they support up to 96k sample rates, USB 2 dacs normally state up to 192k]
    - Support of 176 and 192k playback via the standard digital output

    There are a number of limitations to be aware of:
    1) USB 1 dacs which operate in asynchronous mode probably need an external high speed hub to work without "clicks" - this is due to what appears to be a limitation in the Touch hardware. It is completely resolved with a cheap (<$10) bus powered hub connected between the dac and squeezebox. There is a workaround option which works with some dacs if a hub is not used, but it limits playback to 44/48k sample rates. At present is has only been proved to work with Audiolab/Lakewest dacs.
    2) USB support does not yet support hot plugging of usb dacs - please connect your dac and leave turned on at present [this is likely to improve in future]
    3) 192k playback requires a dac which supports it and is only supported with flac files using native decoding at present. [In future 7.8 LMS and firmware should support 192k wav streaming] It will also require sufficient bandwidth on your network.
    4) Only one output can be selected at once, this means when a USB dac or the Digital Output are selected there will be no sound on the analog outputs.

    The app is called "Enhanced Digital Output" and is the main 3rd party apps list.

    To install, please following the following steps:
    1) Ensure your Squeezebox Touch is running 7.7.x or later firmware
    2) Go to Apps Gallery -> 3rd Party Apps on the touch screen
    3) Deselect the "recommended applets only" option, so that you see a longer list of apps
    4) Select "Enhanced Digital Output" and select it for installation
    5) Your touch should download the app, reboot, then download a new custom linux kernel and reboot again
    6) You should now get a list of possible output devices - this should include "Digital Output" and your USB Dac if it is plugged in, select the appropriate output
    7) Touch should reboot again and then be ready to start playing with the selected output

    If you want to change the output go to Setting > Audio Settings > Digital Output; if you want to change some of the advanced options go to Settings > Advanced > Digital Output

    Please note that if you perform a firmware update, then the app and kernel will need to be reinstalled, this should be automated just requiring you to install the app again or to have the "reinstall after update" option selected from the 3rd party apps list.

    If you want to completely remove the app, then uninstall it and force a firmware upgrade to reinstall the Logitech firmware and kernel.

    Please post your feedback on this thread - I would like to create a list of USB DACs which are known to work with it, we started that on the experiment thread, but I think it would be cleaner to maintain a list here.
    Last edited by Triode; 2012-11-30 at 11:05.

  2. #2
    Member stereoptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    I've posted a new applet to the 3rd party apps list for Squeezebox Touch. .....
    This is exciting news! I don't presently have any 192k files with which to test this yet, though.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    15

    For some reason, I can't get the "App Gallery -> 3rd Party Apps" option on my Touch..

    So instead, I tried: "Settings->Advanced->App Installer"... And from there, deselected the "Recommended applets only" option, but I do not get "Enhanced Digital Output" as an option.

    Ummh, am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by leoduran; 2012-04-07 at 12:05. Reason: typo

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,730
    Quote Originally Posted by leoduran View Post
    So instead, I tried: "Settings->Advanced->App Installer"... And from there, deselected the "Recommended applets only" option, but I do not get "Enhanced Digital Output" as an option.

    Ummh, am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks.
    Needs to be a squeezeobox touch running 7.7.x firmware - could it be that you have older firmware?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    15

    Thumbs up Software Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    Needs to be a squeezeobox touch running 7.7.x firmware - could it be that you have older firmware?
    I suppose you're right... Here's what I've done so far:
    1) Went back to factory settings
    2) As prompted, performed a "Software Update" to: 7.7.2r9663
    3) Having done that, I do get the option for:App Gallery->3rd Party Apps
    4) So, I then follow the installation procedure for the "Enahanced Digital Output" app (selecting the "reinstall app after update" option)
    5) After rebooting, I selected the "Anedio D2" USB DAC (which was plugged in)
    6) I can now select & play music using the iPad (SqueezePad app), while the Touch is prompting me for a "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377
    7) But, if I select that "Software Update", the USB DAC connection is gone, and I no longer get these options: (a) App Gallery->3rd Party Apps (b) Settings -> Audio Settings -> Digital Output
    (NOTE: prior to doing the "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377, I had selected the "reinstall app after update" option)
    8) Also, "Settings->Advanced->Software Update" only shows "7.5.3r9377" as an option

    So, the only way I'm able to stay connected to the USB DAC is by selecting music from the iPad app, while the Touch keeps prompting for a "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377 (as described by step #6)
    Thanks.
    Last edited by leoduran; 2012-04-07 at 13:25.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,730
    Quote Originally Posted by leoduran View Post
    I suppose you're right... Here's what I've done so far:
    1) Went back to factory settings
    2) As prompted, performed a "Software Update" to: 7.7.2r9663
    3) Having done that, I do get the option for:App Gallery->3rd Party Apps
    4) So, I then follow the installation procedure for the "Enahanced Digital Output" app (selecting the "reinstall app after update" option)
    5) After rebooting, I selected the "Anedio D2" USB DAC (which was plugged in)
    6) I can now select & play music using the iPad (SqueezePad app), while the Touch is prompting me for a "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377
    7) But, if I select that "Software Update", the USB DAC connection is gone, and I no longer get these options: (a) App Gallery->3rd Party Apps (b) Settings -> Audio Settings -> Digital Output
    (NOTE: prior to doing the "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377, I had selected the "reinstall app after update" option)
    8) Also, "Settings->Advanced->Software Update" only shows "7.5.3r9377" as an option

    So, the only way I'm able to stay connected to the USB DAC is by selecting music from the iPad app, while the Touch keeps prompting for a "Software Update" to: 7.5.3r9377 (as described by step #6)
    Thanks.
    You either need to update your server software to 7.7 or to ignore the firmware update to 7.5.3 message [this is downgrading the firmware] by swiping right on the update screen and not selecting it. The new code is only tested with firmware 7.7 and later and so I want to make sure you have this firmware installed. Its likely that this will work with older server software, but its far more preferable to update the server software.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    You either need to update your server software to 7.7 or to ignore the firmware update to 7.5.3 message [this is downgrading the firmware] by swiping right on the update screen and not selecting it. The new code is only tested with firmware 7.7 and later and so I want to make sure you have this firmware installed. Its likely that this will work with older server software, but its far more preferable to update the server software.
    OK, I'll try upgrading the server side... Right now I'm running with: Version: 7.5.3 - r31792
    Thanks for doing such a great job so far... I'm looking forward to a "clean" way of using Async USB at 24/192K.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,730
    Quote Originally Posted by leoduran View Post
    OK, I'll try upgrading the server side... Right now I'm running with: Version: 7.5.3 - r31792
    Thanks for doing such a great job so far... I'm looking forward to a "clean" way of using Async USB at 24/192K.
    This is an XMOS based USB class 2 dac?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    15

    About Anedio D2

    Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    This is an XMOS based USB class 2 dac?
    Yes, it is... D2 info: http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/d2_overview
    There's also a separate USB-to-SPDIF converter based on the same XMOS design... U2 info: http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/u2_overview

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    407
    I've got an Mdac connected currently via Belden based coaxial. Will this improve the sound? Any fellow Mdac owners running it?

    Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Squeezebox touch
    Squeezeplug running on Dockstar
    Audiolab MDAC
    Arcam A85 amp
    Chord rumour speaker cable
    Dali Mentor Menuets on Custom Design stands

    Room 2
    Boom

    Bedroom
    RADIO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •