Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    And see this SO question for the sub folder issue:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6...directory-only
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

Quote Originally Posted by andynormancx View Post
    And see this SO question for the sub folder issue:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6...directory-only
    Well that's a huge disappointment. This is going to make running from code much, much more difficult. I mean, the code necessary to run LMS is, what, maybe only 25% of the repo?

Quote Originally Posted by gharris999 View Post
    Well that's a huge disappointment. This is going to make running from code much, much more difficult. I mean, the code necessary to run LMS is, what, maybe only 25% of the repo?
    Maybe they split up the server side directories as well?
    At least for jive they are splitting squeezeos + squeezeplay as well.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Phil Meyer

Migration from subversion to git

I have my own repository that I hold my plugin code in, and check this out into the server/plugins folder. Not sure I'll be able to do that any more either.

The switch from SVN to GIT is a big unexpected suprise. When SC/SBS/LMS development was at its high point a few years back with multiple branches, SVN seemed to be coping well. There's not been much activity recently, but GIT is needed to make things easier?

Not to worry, I'm still running SBS 7.5.6, and don't need to check out LMS often (only when checking my plugins for compatibility with latest LMS code).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Meyer View Post
    There's not been much activity recently, but GIT is needed to make things easier?
    For a distributed team GIT is much nicer/faster.
    Also with the need for long living hidden branches that shouldn't get too far away from the HEAD/trunk I wondered why they bothered with SVN at all.

My own company is shifting to GIT this year as well and the feedback from the first migrated teams is very promising.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Quote Originally Posted by bluegaspode View Post
    Maybe they split up the server side directories as well?
    At least for jive they are splitting squeezeos + squeezeplay as well.
    From a community perspective it would be nice if the "server" directory was a specific repository as this is the only thing needed for the community members that like to run a svn based server, but I'm not sure if and how it fits the build scripts and other things which are outside the server directory.

From a release perspective it would be nice if each individual plugin had a separate repository, making it possible to release plugin changes between server releases, but I suspect this is out of the scope as it will require a lot of testing work from Logitech's side to make sure all versions works with each other.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Ok, so it looks like the slimserver git repo is up. Sorry...my experience with git is very limited so I'm sure I'll be using some wrong nomenclature here.

If one is checking out a read-only copy for the purpose of running the svn...sorry...the git code, do we just check out master? Or do we check out the 7.8 branch?

I.e., if you want to run the 7.8 git code, is the correct check out command:

# git clone https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver.git -b 7.8 /usr/share/lms.git/server

..and then, to update the local repo, discarding any local local changes & following andynormancx' advice:

# cd /usr/share/lms.git/server
    # git reset --hard
    # git clean -fd
    # git pull

Is that it, in a nutshell?

PS: I'd like to offer a thank-you to the developers for splitting the codebase into slimserver & slimserver-platforms. I think that's going to make trying to run from the code much less painful.

Yes, that looks about right.

Working with git is really quite different from svn, especially when you are making changes and working with multiple branches. As some tutorial on git says, you have to "rewire your brain". But overall it is a bit positive step.

Not all of the slim repo is migrated yet; in particular the very top level "vendor" and "staffpicks" paths are still mastered in subversion.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    Not all of the slim repo is migrated yet; in particular the very top level "vendor" and "staffpicks" paths are still mastered in subversion.
    Just a reminder.

When moving top level "vendor" remember that the third party plugins repositories is inside vendor/plugins and are currently mostly updated by non Logitech employees (mostly me or Triode), and the plugin repositories are also exposed through mysqueezebox.com where SBS/LMS gets them. If you can't give us commit access immediately it would be good if someone within Logitech could run the vendor/plugins/buildrepo.pl script once a day to make sure any new plugin versions gets published.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.