Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question Squeezebox 1 Wi-Fi upgrade

I just bought a used SB Classic (SB2) and it connect fine on my network but the WiFi is not working, unable to connect to my wifi network.

The Wiki mention that an upgrade was possible to WiFi 802.11b for the SB1, (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SB1)
    I got access to a second WiFi card (802.11b from a broken SB2).
    My question: Is it just matter of swapping the WIFI card to get access to 802.11b ?

Also no firmware upgrade is possible, I guess the SB1 is simply to old...
    Wondering if you need to update the firmware, my unit is running with v42.

Reading more carefully the Wiki I must look for a 802.11g card...

Thanks
    Last edited by mftech; 2012-04-02 at 19:38.
    Tête à FLAC

2 X SB Classic
    2 X SB2
    1 X SB Boom
    1 X SB Touch
    All SB controlled via VortexBox server aka The Musical Box

I don't mean to be a nit-picker, but from your post it is really hard to determine which SB you're talking about, and therefore hard to give any advice. You say you bought an SB2 (which, by the way, is not the 'Classic' -- the Classic = SB3), but then most of your post is about SB1. Except for where you say you got an 802.11b card from an SB2, which doesn't make sense because wifi-capable SB2s were only ever sold with 802.11g (wired-only models were also sold).

So first, please clarify which SB you're talking about. The easiest way is to look at the sticker on the bottom: does it say Squeezebox or Squeezebox2? Then check to be sure what wifi card you are trying to insert. I strongly doubt that the 802.11g card from an SB2 will work in a SB1 because the SB1 firmware likely doesn't support the 802.11g card. You may also find the hardware comparison in the wiki useful: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...are_comparison

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    I don't mean to be a nit-picker, but from your post it is really hard to determine which SB you're talking about, and therefore hard to give any advice. You say you bought an SB2 (which, by the way, is not the 'Classic' -- the Classic = SB3), but then most of your post is about SB1. Except for where you say you got an 802.11b card from an SB2, which doesn't make sense because wifi-capable SB2s were only ever sold with 802.11g (wired-only models were also sold).

So first, please clarify which SB you're talking about. The easiest way is to look at the sticker on the bottom: does it say Squeezebox or Squeezebox2? Then check to be sure what wifi card you are trying to insert. I strongly doubt that the 802.11g card from an SB2 will work in a SB1 because the SB1 firmware likely doesn't support the 802.11g card. You may also find the hardware comparison in the wiki useful: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...are_comparison
    Sorry about the confusion I didn't find a way to erase my post last night, after more reading on the wiki I found answers on most of my questions.

It's a SB1 (confirmed by the sticker) (with the lower resolution VFD) I didn't open the box to validate the wifi card inside, it may be badly inserted, I got a second SB2 (the display is broken) and the card inside is a 802.11b.

Concerning the firmware do I need to contact Logitech to be able to registered this SB1 on mysqueezebox.com ?

Or the SB1 is obsolete and not upgradable ?

So far it works fine when connected to network but I got occasional sound dropout if I navigate with LMS between music folders, otherwise it plays fine.
    I don't mind running the SB1 on network but having wifi enabled get the unit more flexible and portable.

Thanks for the help.
    Tête à FLAC

2 X SB Classic
    2 X SB2
    1 X SB Boom
    1 X SB Touch

Thanks for the clarification, although I still strongly doubt that the card in the SB2 is 802.11b. To my knowledge, and according to the wiki, the SB2 only ever had 802.11g. Sure, you can run g cards in b mode, but that does not mean that the SB1 will accept the g card from the SB2.

The SB1 is not obsolete, but it isn't really upgradable either. It works with present SBs and LMS software, albeit with some limitations.

You only need to contact Logitech about registration on mysqueezebox.com if the previous owner has not removed the SB1 from his/her mysb.com account. If that is the case then you will get a message saying it is registered to another user. Otherwise you can register it yourself. Updating the firmware is a completely separate operation, which you can do by connecting it to your local LMS server.

Finally, enabling the 11b wifi on the SB1 may not be as flexible as you think. If you don't already have other 11b devices on your network then adding the SB1 as wifi will require you to enable mixed b/g mode, which will slow down the wifi even on your 11g devices. If I had an SB1 I would definitely run it wired for this very reason.

Thanks aubuti for your help.
    When I tried to upgrade the firmware, the upgrade stop and I got a message something like : Buy another Squeezebox...no other controls are available and I must unplug the SB PS to get the control and communication back.

I tend to agree with you that swapping the wifi card may not be reflected by the software.

Again thanks for your help.
    Tête à FLAC

2 X SB Classic
    2 X SB2
    1 X SB Boom
    1 X SB Touch

Are SB1 supported on my squeezebox.com ? Are they not local server only ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Are SB1 supported on my squeezebox.com ? Are they not local server only ?
    Ah, yes, you're absolutely right. I forgot that that is another one of the SB1's limitations: it can't talk to mysqueezebox.com (listed by the old SqueezeNetwork name in the wiki).

Even so, it should work with local server and it should be possible to update the firmware via local LMS. The last firmware version appears to be 40 (based on http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.7.2/).