Blind listening - TT3.0, HWmods and Teddy Pardo PSU

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lake_eleven
    • Aug 2011

For those running vanilla SBT, do you run any mods on the server system...like Fidelizer, registry changes etc?

Comment

• mlsstl
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by lake_eleven
      For those running vanilla SBT, do you run any mods on the server system...like Fidelizer, registry changes etc?
      No, I don't run any special programs on the server. In fact, I just switched music servers this past week. I had been using a 7 or 8 year old PC running Fedora Core (Linux) 14 along with LMS 7.7.2. The hard drive had been upgraded to a 1.5TB drive to accommodate my music collection, but the FC14 was just an ordinary install. CPU was a Celeron with 1GB RAM.

I replaced this server with a Foxconn R10-D4 Atom based server with 2GB RAM. I moved the existing hard drive over to the new machine but installed Vortexbox 2.0. The software uses Fedora Core 16 as it's base, but in a minimalist configuration designed for headless operation. (No GUI interface on the server - command line only - and they run only about one-third of the normal processes in the background. Normally the server is controlled from a web interface through another computer on your network.)

After making the switch to the new server I have been unable to detect any difference in sound quality.

Comment

• Soulkeeper
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by mlsstl
        After making the switch to the new server I have been unable to detect any difference in sound quality.
        Of course you were unable to detect any difference in sound quality.

Those who think there's a sound quality difference between server configurations in any normal situation, simply have no clue how Squeezebox streaming works.

Comment

• mlsstl
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Soulkeeper

Those who think there's a sound quality difference between server configurations in any normal situation, simply have no clue how Squeezebox streaming works.
          I didn't say so the first time around, but I had no expectations there would be an audible difference. I simply needed to replace a tired server that was on its last leg.

Comment

• SBGK
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Soulkeeper

a simple test is to set the LMS process priority to low, have a listen and then set it to high and have a listen. There is quite clearly a difference in sound.

Do operating systems sound the same ? no.

why does changing the tcp settings on the server affect the sound ? should be impossible according to your logic.
            Touch optimisations http://touchsgotrythm.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• SBGK
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by NoRoDa
              As long as you're not in my head I'll survive!
              noroda, why don't you try my settings ? then you'll be listening to music instead of winding yourself up on here.

A few on here are using them and are pretty impressed with them.
              Touch optimisations http://touchsgotrythm.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• ralphpnj
                • Mar 2007

How so?

Originally posted by SBGK
                a simple test is to set the LMS process priority to low, have a listen and then set it to high and have a listen. There is quite clearly a difference in sound.

Do operating systems sound the same ? no.

why does changing the tcp settings on the server affect the sound ? should be impossible according to your logic.
                Exactly what is the difference in the sound?
                Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
                Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
                Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
                Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
                Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
                Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
                Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
                Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
                Last.fm

Comment

• Soulkeeper
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by sbgk
                  those who think there's a sound quality difference between server configurations in any normal situation, simply have no clue how squeezebox streaming works.
                  there is quite clearly a difference in sound.
                  Quod erat demonstrandum.

Comment

• Willakan
                    • May 2012

Did anyone ever verify that this blind test was conducted with any real degree of vigour? Call me a cynic, but I'm inclined to blame differences on things like failures in test protocol rather than, erm, magic...there's a faintly infamous blind test where some Stereophile staff supposedly distinguished between cables: this was rendered easy by the 2.5db volume difference between the two setups being tested.
                    Last edited by Willakan; 2012-05-06, 10:37.

Comment

• aubuti
                      • Oct 2005

The OP has already stated that it was not terribly rigorous (see post #1943 in the thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ox-3-0/page195). But if you're going to blame the test procedure when someone at least actually bothered to try (single) blind testing, what on earth do you make of the endless claims of "staggering", "night and day", or "not subtle" that the proponents keep making based on non-blinded testing?
                      Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
                      Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
                      Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
                      Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
                      Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
                      Bedroom: SB Radio
                      Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
                      LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• ralphpnj
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aubuti
                        The OP has already stated that it was not terribly rigorous (see post #1943 in the thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ox-3-0/page195). But if you're going to blame the test procedure when someone at least actually bothered to try (single) blind testing, what on earth do you make of the endless claims of "staggering", "night and day", or "not subtle" that the proponents keep making based on non-blinded testing?
                        Simple: I believe that all those claims are completely worthless. Well not really completely worthless since when these claims are make by a reviewer in one of the high end audio magazines the claims then can be made into great quotes by equipment manufacturers.
                        Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
                        Last.fm

Comment

• aubuti
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ralphpnj
                          Simple: I believe that all those claims are completely worthless. Well not really completely worthless since when these claims are make by a reviewer in one of the high end audio magazines the claims then can be made into great quotes by equipment manufacturers.
                          Obviously. I was directing the question to the person who suddenly chose to single out as flawed one of the few test cases in which someone at least considered expectations bias and made a modest attempt to account for it.
                          Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
                          Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
                          LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• ralphpnj
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aubuti
                            Obviously. I was directing the question to the person who suddenly chose to single out as flawed one of the few test cases in which someone at least considered expectations bias and made a modest attempt to account for it.
                            Yes I fully understood that to be how you meant your post, however I rarely miss a chance to bash the high end audio press
                            Last.fm

Comment

• aubuti
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ralphpnj
                              Yes I fully understood that to be how you meant your post, however I rarely miss a chance to bash the high end audio press
                              Ok, glad I could help with teeing that one up for you.... :-)

Comment

• Willakan
                                • May 2012

Make no mistake: I'm not singling it out as flawed, just saying that it was probably also flawed. I'm very much on the "worthless claims are worthless" bandwagon.

I can't seem to work out whether the test was between the digital or analog outputs though...
                                Last edited by Willakan; 2012-05-07, 11:04.

Comment

Working...