X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoRoDa
    • Aug 2011

Blind listening - TT3.0, HWmods and Teddy Pardo PSU

Interesting findings yesterday!

HWmods made no difference, but at least did not sound worse.

CD-player vs SBT as a digital source made no clear difference.

Teddy Pardo TTouch PSU made a difference, and IMO an improvement.

My own conclusion:
    - Factory SBT connected via WLAN sounds better than TT3.0
    - Teddy Pardo TTouch PSU improves the sound
    - HWmods are not worth the effort or money
    - The SBT is a good enough digital source feeding my Rega DAC

I know there are a lot of people that will say I'm wrong.
    But did you listen without knowing what you are listening to?
    You'll need two SBTs to do this

Regards
    SBT | Teddy Pardo TTouch | Rega DAC | Cayin CS-100A | Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinum |
  • ralphpnj
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by NoRoDa
    I know there are a lot of people that will say I'm wrong.
    But did you listen without knowing what you are listening to?
    You'll need two SBTs to do this

Regards
    Now you are aware that this is the "audiophiles" section of the forum and that blind or double blind listening tests are considered worthless, especially when these tests result in finding out almost all audiophile beliefs are just myths. In fact, all listening tests, whether sighted, blind or double blind, which involve direct comparisons between two similar components (e.g. speakers, amps, SBTs, etc.) are strictly forbidden.

For example take this quote from Michael Fremer's review of the MBL Radialstrahler 101E Mk. II loudspeaker which appears in the April 2012 issue of Stereophile:

"Although my entire system has changed in the eight years since the first version of the 101E Radialstrahler was here, I feel confident saying that the sound of the Mk. II is more refined and well behaved, and far more capable of speaking with a uniform, focused voice."

As you can see by the above quote, direct comparison is not only not needed but reviewers of high end audio equipment (equipment which, as is the case with the MBL Radialstrahler 101E Mk. II loudspeaker, often costs tens of thousands of dollars) can make comparisons based on simple long term memory and using a completely different set up.

Hopefully you will soon find a source for some of the magic audiophile kool-aid which once consumed will enable you to understand the error of your ways and allow you to make similar comparisons based on long term memory alone. As an added bonus you will then also be able to detect things like unmeasurable jitter, 100kHz harmonics and whether the electricity used to power your equipment is made by wind, solar, fossil fuel or nuclear power.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Comment

• pippin
      • Oct 2007

<3
      ---
      learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
      Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
      at penguinlovesmusic.com
      New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• ralphpnj
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pippin
        <3
        You lost me with this one, please explain.
        Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
        Last.fm

Comment

• pippin
          • Oct 2007

Twitter slang for loving something or someone. Something in this case: your post (sorry).
          <3 looks like a heart lying on it's side.

Actually although it got more common recently, I'd bet someone will now crawl in here and say it's already dating back to usenet times and is not at all related to Twitter....
          ---
          learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
          Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
          at penguinlovesmusic.com
          New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• NoRoDa
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by ralphpnj
            Now you are aware that this is the "audiophiles" section of the forum and that blind or double blind listening tests are considered worthless, especially when these tests result in finding out almost all audiophile beliefs are just myths. In fact, all listening tests, whether sighted, blind or double blind, which involve direct comparisons between two similar components (e.g. speakers, amps, SBTs, etc.) are strictly forbidden.
            lol

Well, we did manage to pinpoint one of the players when listening blind.
            The only "audiophile problem" is that it was the modified one that sounded worse....

I believe in cable differences, and many of the so called myths.
            But that don't stop me from testing my listening impressions once in a while.

Regards
            SBT | Teddy Pardo TTouch | Rega DAC | Cayin CS-100A | Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinum |

Comment

• ralphpnj
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by pippin
              Twitter slang for loving something or someone. Something in this case: your post (sorry).
              <3 looks like a heart lying on it's side.

Actually although it got more common recently, I'd bet someone will now crawl in here and say it's already dating back to usenet times and is not at all related to Twitter....
              Thanks!

lol

Well, we did manage to pinpoint one of the players when listening blind.
              The only "audiophile problem" is that it was the modified one that sounded worse....

I believe in cable differences, and many of the so called myths.
              But that don't stop me from testing my listening impressions once in a while.

Regards
              You don't have to defend your own biases especially when you can back them up with listening tests and comparisons. Many so called audiophile file myths are based on things that a true but often these "truths" are taken to such great extremes that they are no longer true.

For example when it comes to cables, a good quality, well made cable may indeed perform and sound better than a poor made, low quality cable. However the differences between two high quality, well made cables is much harder to discern and may not even exist.

And when it comes to USB cables, well the audiophile world is now completely upside down. Sure a $500 USB may indeed have a little less jitter than a nice, well made $10 USB cable (which meets all required specifications for USB cables) but the effect the jitter of either cable has on the sound CAN NOT be heard by any human ear that has not drunk the audiophile kool-aid.
              Last.fm

Comment

• JohnSwenson
                • Jun 2006

Interesting findings yesterday!

HWmods made no difference, but at least did not sound worse.

Regards
                Which hardware mods had been implemented? Were you using coax or optical to the DAC?

Thanks,

John S.

Comment

• NoRoDa
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by JohnSwenson
                  Which hardware mods had been implemented? Were you using coax or optical to the DAC?

Thanks,

John S.
                  You have a PM regarding the HW mods.
                  BJC coax to the Buffalo II DAC

Regards
                  Rolf

Comment

• baardbaard
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by JohnSwenson

Thanks,

John S.
                    Since it was my set-up that was under examinations/blind testing I can say a few words about it:

Bryston 7B SST
                    Meridian 568.2MM as pre.
                    ATC SCM 40
                    Buffalo DAC II w/IVY - coax SPDIF
                    One SB Touch w/ factory settings w/Teddy Pardo PSU –WLAN
                    One SB Touch w/ HW upgrade level 1 from Fidelity Audio w/TT3.0 w/Teddy Pardo PSU - LAN

Purpose:
                    Try to hear difference among 2 different SBT and to determine which was best in audiophile terms.

• Blind testing among standard SBT and SBT w HW mod and TT.30 made it obviously that standard SBT w/factory settings is far more musical. Better bottom end – more liquid presentation.
                    • Blind testing between standard SBT and SBT w/HW mod without TT3.0 was quite impossible to distinguish,
                    • Teddy PSU vs stock SMPS – quite easy to distinguish difference even blind tested. Teddy PSU is clearly better.

Comments:
                    • My Level 1 mod from FA is only 3 weeks old – lack of burn-in??
                    Last edited by baardbaard; 2012-04-02, 21:28.

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by baardbaard
                      Since it was my set-up that was under examinations/blind testing I can say a few words about it:

Bryston 7B SST
                      Meridian 568.2MM as pre.
                      ATC SCM 40
                      Buffalo DAC II w/IVY - coax SPDIF
                      One SB Touch w/ factory settings w/Teddy Pardo PSU –WLAN
                      One SB Touch w/ HW upgrade level 1 from Fidelity Audio w/TT3.0 w/Teddy Pardo PSU - LAN

Purpose:
                      Try to hear difference among 2 different SBT and to determine which was best in audiophile terms.

• Blind testing among standard SBT and SBT w HW mod and TT.30 made it obviously that standard SBT w/factory settings is far more musical. Better bottom end – more liquid presentation.
                      • Blind testing between standard SBT and SBT w/HW mod without TT3.0 was quite impossible to distinguish,
                      • Teddy PSU vs stock SMPS – quite easy to distinguish difference even blind tested. Teddy PSU is clearly better.

Comments:
                      • My Level 1 mod from FA is only 3 weeks old – lack of burn-in??
                      Not lack of burn-in, merely lack of any tangible benefit!
                      You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
                      Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
                      Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
                      Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• MCG555
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by ralphpnj

For example take this quote from Michael Fremer's review of the MBL Radialstrahler 101E Mk. II loudspeaker which appears in the April 2012 issue of Stereophile:

"Although my entire system has changed in the eight years since the first version of the 101E Radialstrahler was here, I feel confident saying that the sound of the Mk. II is more refined and well behaved, and far more capable of speaking with a uniform, focused voice."

As you can see by the above quote, direct comparison is not only not needed but reviewers of high end audio equipment (equipment which, as is the case with the MBL Radialstrahler 101E Mk. II loudspeaker, often costs tens of thousands of dollars) can make comparisons based on simple long term memory and using a completely different set up.

Hopefully you will soon find a source for some of the magic audiophile kool-aid which once consumed will enable you to understand the error of your ways and allow you to make similar comparisons based on long term memory alone. As an added bonus you will then also be able to detect things like unmeasurable jitter, 100kHz harmonics and whether the electricity used to power your equipment is made by wind, solar, fossil fuel or nuclear power.
                        +1

Brilliant post! :-)
                        Greetings from Switzerland - Markus :)

----
                        Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D15, Subs: 2x B&W ASW 610, Amplifier: Atoll IN100 Signature, DAC: Metrum Octave NOS Mini DAC, Streamer: Logitech Squeezebox Touch

Comment

• ralphpnj
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MCG555
                          +1

Brilliant post! :-)
                          Thanks. I do feel just a little (and I mean really, really little) bit undeserving of praise since poking fun at the high end audio magazines is like shooting fish in a barrel. They truly are such fools and leave themselves wide open for much well deserved scorn and ridicule. I guess writing the nonsense like I quoted above keeps the manufacturers happy and that in turn helps to keep the reviewers enjoying very expensive and nice sounding audio equipment which they never have to pay for. A very cosy little arrangement.
                          Last.fm

Comment

• Zombie
                            • Feb 2009

Did you do a test with both sets on LAN?

Comment

• NoRoDa
                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Zombie
                              Did you do a test with both sets on LAN?
                              No
                              We only had one ethernet cable available.

...And why bother when the WLAN factory SBT was preferred in all rounds?

Comment

Working...