Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    It's possible that the listeners are stressed just because it's very hard to tell the difference when relying purely on ears! Also, previously they may have believed there were obvious differences and when their perceptions and beliefs conflict with new experience it's stressful.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by darrenyeats; 2012-04-19 at 01:18.

But didn't report all TT3 lovers dramatic increases in their listening experiences. If these exist, why would it be stressful to also detect them under blind conditions?

I'd let the "stress" argument count if someone reported "I can hear subtle improvements", but please go back to the very first posts on the TT2 and 3 threads and read those enthusiastic descriptions of magiccarpetride and others.
    Why would it be stressful to detect the same huge differences reliably under blind conditions? Should be dead easy if are to be trusted the reported improvements?
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

On a slightly different note, I think the discussion is about exaggeration of differences. I do think DACs can and do sound different. The better they get, supposing they have been designed to be transparent, the harder it is to hear a difference. But audibly, I believe the difference will be subtle indeed between GOOD front ends. On this point note even resident pro TheOctavist has Forsell and Mytek DACs which cost (in my country) more than his speakers! No-one is saying it makes NO difference. We have MEASUREMENTS which tell us there are differences!

In this context, I agree that by far the most significant differences will be those of the recording quality, room acoustics and loudspeakers. On the last point, well designed active speakers have several technical advantages. So I am a "front end last" sort of person, but not a "front end doesn't matter" person.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by darrenyeats View Post
    On a slightly different note, I think the discussion is about exaggeration of differences....
    Correct. If you read my comments carefully, I don't state there are no audible differences in many situations, only that they often shrink dramatically in size when non-audio cues are taken out of the equation.

Unfortunately, many audiophiles take any challenge to their personal perception as an insult and will go to great lengths to discredit the offending test. Hence, the "stress" card that is so grossly overplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
    Guess we'll just have to disagree. In your case, any situation where a listener is deprived of the opportunity to confirm their conscious or unconscious sighted bias, results can be discarded due to "stress". I'm of the opinion that blind testing often illustrates that those "enormous" differences aren't quite as big as originally thought.
    Where I disagree with you is in your tacit assumption that anyone who gets subjected to a listening test is automatically in the position of defending their own pet theory (such as that power cables can make a difference, or not, or that digital transports can make a difference, or not, and so on). That's rarely the case. Many listening tests have been conducted with test subjects who have no personal agendas, nor do they care one way or the other. They're just humouring the testing crew, or are looking to earn a quick buck.

I would have no objection against listening tests if after the test I could pee in a cup, and then they send that cup to the lab, and the next day test results clearly show whether I was able to hear the differences or not.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I would have no objection against listening tests if after the test I could pee in a cup, and then they send that cup to the lab, and the next day test results clearly show whether I was able to hear the differences or not.
    That issue was previously addressed and then conveniently ignored by you. You're obviously welcome to all of the enormous differences you can muster.

See you around. I've got no urge to become repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
    That issue was previously addressed and then conveniently ignored by you. You're obviously welcome to all of the enormous differences you can muster.

See you around. I've got no urge to become repetitive.
    Urine sample was previously addressed in this thread. When?

Does taking the p*ss count? He-he.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenyeats View Post
    Does taking the p*ss count? He-he.

Gotcha, it's a pissing contest.

Returned to vanilla STB wired to Windows 8 server. Modem/Router/Switch have linear PS. SBT has CIAudio PS.

WOW!, way to go until TT4.0. More organic sound, fuller lower end, no harsh...SBT sounds pleasant now!