Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SBGK View Post
    Hi, if you PM me I'll send you some settings that will give you music playback 100x better than TT3.0 default settings. What have you got to lose.
    1) your sanity
    2) your grip on reality
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    1) your sanity
    2) your grip on reality
    Why would someone, by merely being curious and trying something out to see if it works or not, lose one's sanity and one's grip on reality? That sounds awfully close to those religious extremists and fundamentalists who get easily riled if anything even slightly deviates from their narrow dogma.

Hi, if you PM me I'll send you some settings that will give you music playback 100x better than TT3.0 default settings. What have you got to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    1) your sanity
    2) your grip on reality
    Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Why would someone, by merely being curious and trying something out to see if it works or not, lose one's sanity and one's grip on reality? That sounds awfully close to those religious extremists and fundamentalists who get easily riled if anything even slightly deviates from their narrow dogma.
    I believe that Phil was commenting on the "100x better" assertion more than anything else. What exactly does 100x better than the Touch or the Touch with TT3.0 default sound like? The statement is completely deserving of any and all ridicule.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Why not just post said "settings" here?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBeyond View Post
    Why not just post said "settings" here?
    Perhaps it is because these "settings" don't exist. Or rather because these "settings" will not produce "music playback 100x better than TT3.0 default settings".
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Perhaps it is because these "settings" don't exist. Or rather because these "settings" will not produce "music playback 100x better than TT3.0 default settings".
    If it didn't involve Mpingo discs http://www.audioreference.co.uk/arca...ngo_Discs.aspx
    or messing with Unix kernels, I'd be willing to give (almost) anything a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I'm merely pointing out the risks of what one might lose...
    Think of it as a public service.
    I realise I overlooked one; one's sense of hyperbole...
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

I believe that Phil was commenting on the "100x better" assertion more than anything else. What exactly does 100x better than the Touch or the Touch with TT3.0 default sound like? The statement is completely deserving of any and all ridicule.
    Second the motion. There are times when hyperbole helps make a point appropriately. In this case, it is audiophile drivel.

When all that comes out of a person's mouth is hyperbole, people tend to become desensitized to whatever that person says. It's a perfectly natural reaction.

OK, I guess I've misread Phil's reply. My point was why toss the baby out with the bath water?

On the topic of hyperbole, I think many here are making a mountain out of a molehill. Taking someone's attestation of a subjective impression and attempting to twist it into an objective cold hard fact is an act of travesty at best. If a person is served a bland meal, tastes it, and then adds a pinch of salt, tastes it again, and then exclaims "wow, this now tastes hundred times better!", is that person deserving of any and all ridicule? Yes, a pinch of salt is tiny compared to the size of a meal, but sometimes it's the tiniest things that make the biggest difference.