Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Play to <SqueezeBox>" from Windows?

I have a SqueezeBox Touch and my son has a SqueezeBox Radio.
    LMS runs on my PC where my music library is located.

My son has his own PC but does not run LMS. He has his own music on his PC, and when he wants to play it on his Radio or my Touch he just right-clicks on a music file and selects "Play to Son's Radio" or "Play to Dad's Touch".

WTF? I have no idea how he managed to get this working, and, it turns out, nor does he. What application or plugin would enable such a handy context menu?

He is running Windows 7. I have Windows 7 on my PC too but no such context menu shows up for any type of audio file.

Didn't someone (Michael?, Gordon?) write a shell-script or something like that for Windows that does this... I seem to remember something.
    But it would be a software to install under Windows.
    It used the CLI to send commands to the server.

OR

Could this be a DLNA feature and you don't have WMS (or however it'S called now) installed on your PC?
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 7, the Universal App for iOS 7

We figured it out. It's Windows Media Player. WMP can send files straight to any Squeeze player visible on the network. Very cool.

Here is an article about how to remove WMP controls from the right-click menu.
    http://www.freewaregenius.com/2011/1...-context-menu/
    Do the reverse to enable them.

Windows 7 and WMP have media streaming. They are picking up LMS' announcements. Play To allows initiating playback.

See: "Getting started with media streaming" in Windows Help.

There's a Stream pull-down that lists options/settings, where you can enable/disable UPnP.

Aha, thanks. Yes and that means LMS has to be running.

Also, we can't get it to work with FLAC files.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry66 View Post
    Also, we can't get it to work with FLAC files.
    Two things:

1) WMP12 is not itself capable of playing Flacs. There are some WMP12 add-ons that do allow it to "Play" Flacs (but not all such add-ins are capable of "Play To").

2) If your flac add-on does support "Play To" then it is most likely trying to serve the track to the Squeeze player in the UPnP/DLNA standard LPCM format. Now Logitech's own UPnP/DLNA plug-in does not support LPCM (go figure). So you could try to disable Logitech's UPnP/DLNA plug-in, and install Whitebear instead. Whitebear supports LPCM...
    Regards,
    AndrewFG

Try out Whitebear. The middleware that joins the two worlds of:
    1. UPnP/DLNA media clients and media players, and,
    2. Squeezebox Server and Squeeze Players
    Download it for free here: http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver

We love the Whitebear!

I've installed White Bear and WMP Tag Plus, but I cannot play Flacs to my Touch (it works fine with Mp3). WMP keeps saying "contacting media server" and nothing happens.

Can anybody help me with this?

Quote Originally Posted by vinhattieu View Post
    I've installed White Bear and WMP Tag Plus, but I cannot play Flacs to my Touch (it works fine with Mp3). WMP keeps saying "contacting media server" and nothing happens.

Can anybody help me with this?

I have the same problem in my network .. I click "Play To > Squeezebox" and Media Player states "Please Wait .. Loading" forever, and the Squeezebox plays nothing. What do I need to do to get this to work? There are times where I would just like to play a song from my music folder without going through forty-leven menus on the Controller or starting up the web interface. "Play To" is awesome, if I could just get it to work properly with the Squeezebox.

Quote Originally Posted by vinhattieu View Post
    WMP will not natively support Play To of FLAC files unless it has a 3rd party Media Foundation codec installed that can play FLAC files. See this post:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post703644

Note that there are two types of Codecs: the older type is called a Direct Show codec, and the newer type is called Media Foundation; Direct Show codecs support local Play in WMP but not Play To; whereas Media Foundation codecs support both Play and Play To.
    Regards,
    AndrewFG

Try out Whitebear. The middleware that joins the two worlds of:
    1. UPnP/DLNA media clients and media players, and,
    2. Squeezebox Server and Squeeze Players
    Download it for free here: http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver