Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aubuti
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Mnyb
    I have to enquire about your nails or diet my grilles are very tight I would brake my nails .
    +1 I use a butter knife.
    Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
    Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
    Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
    Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
    Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
    Bedroom: SB Radio
    Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
    LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• onionjack
      • Feb 2011

Straighten out a paper clip and with pliers turn the very end through 90 degrees. Then use the paper clip to hook through any of the holes in the speaker grille. Easy peasy.

Comment

• Mnyb
        • Feb 2006

A not to sharp knife did it .

There are 4 small torx holding the front panel .

Around each speaker there 3 deep holes (6 in total ) at the bottom of these there is also screws of undermined type (need better flashlight ) looks phillips/pozidriveish
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
        Bedroom/Office: Boom
        Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
        Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
        iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
        (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
        server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• Owen Smith
          • Dec 2010

I'm concerned about doing more damage trying to open it up and fix it than the sharp edges are alleged to cause in the first place. I also think the case is not entirely proven on the sharp edges, it could simply be the speaker material failing.

Comment

• Soulkeeper
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Mnyb
            I have to enquire about your nails or diet my grilles are very tight I would brake my nails .
            ( Did you not use to have a HP lovecraft quote as sig )
            Re. my nails: I play the bass, and I don't use a pick, so my nails are like flat head screw driver bits. Or maybe not quite.

Yes, I used to have a Lovecraft quote (or perhaps it was a quote of Metallica quoting Lovecraft?) in my sig, but feel like changing it from time to time.

Originally posted by Owen Smith
            I'm concerned about doing more damage trying to open it up and fix it than the sharp edges are alleged to cause in the first place. I also think the case is not entirely proven on the sharp edges, it could simply be the speaker material failing.
            It depends on how comfortable you are with picking stuff apart and putting it back together again, I guess. I have no qualms about disassembling my Boom, the build is sturdy and it seems to be designed to be serviceable.

Comment

• slimfast
              • Apr 2009

Agreed... I have a boom, sb3 and a duet and I find that the controller is just about the nicest way to do anything more complex than listening to a track from my library.

The hardware has its shortcomings like battery life and screen quality but it is quite old compared to things like modern mobile phones.

The interface on it though is top notch and nothing on a mobile comes close IMO.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Roger66
                • Apr 2009

Hi,

just for info: I pulled the grilles off my boom a few minutes before. No damage on the speaker rubber. The cones are perfectly centered and don't scratch when pushed back.

The paper clip worked perfect for this task, thanks !

Roger
                SB Touch
                SB Boom
                SB Radio
                Thinkpad T530, Win 7 Pro 64bit, LMS 7.9

Comment

• Owen Smith
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roger66
                  just for info: I pulled the grilles off my boom a few minutes before. No damage on the speaker rubber. The cones are perfectly centered and don't scratch when pushed back.
                  I got my grilles off with a butter knife. I also have no damage to the speaker rubber. My Boom speakers are a bit off centre, but don't scratch when pushed back.

I was going to disassemble the case further to sand the reported sharp edges, but I found I need a long torx driver to get the case apart. I have torx bits for my socket set but the bit holder is too wide to fit in the recess for the screws. I'd have to take the Boom to a shop to find the correct long torx driver I need to buy to disassemble it. Given I'm not really sure whether there is a problem or not I decided to give up at this point.

Comment

Working...