Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    its very disheartening to continue voting when this is how its viewed:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=94109
    I guess it's time to start calling support with every little niggle then, if that's the only way to make progress! Sad, very sad.
    Two track 1's and no track 2 after a scan for new and changed? Please vote for serious scanning bug 17782
    Receiver stuck at blue LED state after reboot? Please vote for bug 17462

Will 7.7.2 be released?

>Fair enough, so they now show Artist rather than Track Artist. But
    >there's still no reason not to have an additional Album Artist
    >hyperlink available like they used to in order to see just that
    >artist's own albums.
    >

The options available are the same - Album Artist and Track Artists. They now work the same in Web App as they do in player UI - always showing all work for the artist you click on. Hard to see how another artist link can be added which is also reported as album artist, that would only show a partial set of albums by that artist, and not be confusing with the album artist link that is already displayed.

e.g. I might have an album such as:

Album: xxx
    Album Artist: yyy
    song 1 by track artist a1
    song 2 by track artist a2

I could click on artist yyy, artist a1 or artist a2 to see all works by that chosen artist. I wouldn't see much benefit in making a1 only show albums for which a1 is a guest, or making yyy show only albums for which yyy is only an album artist (not show normal albums).

When arriving at the list of albums for that artist, I think it would be useful to be able to control the content displayed, eg. choose to filter/group/sort based on role.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    I wouldn't see much benefit in making a1 only show albums for which a1 is a guest, or making yyy show only albums for which yyy is only an album artist (not show normal albums).
    The point is you wouldn't see much benefit. I, on the other hand, would. And my opinion is as valid as yours. And what do you mean 'not show normal albums'? An artist is the album artist for their normal albums.

If you follow the breadcrumb trail into album X, which lists Album Artist A and then click the album artist hyperlink it links to 'Artist (A)'. It should link to 'Album Artist (A)' and should only link to 'Artist (A)' if you clicked the Artist hyperlink that isn't currently there.

I'm not interested in odd albums that an artist has guested on or compilations that they may have featured on 95% of the time, but want to get to an artist's other albums, so this is functionality I used regularly.

Clearly this isn't of interest to you with how you use your system, but re-adding it wouldn't take away any functionality you have currently so there's nothing for you to complain about really, is there?
    Two track 1's and no track 2 after a scan for new and changed? Please vote for serious scanning bug 17782
    Receiver stuck at blue LED state after reboot? Please vote for bug 17462

Will 7.7.2 be released?

>The point is -you- wouldn't see much benefit.
    Correction - I would see reduced benefit.

It's better to find an answer that works for everyone, rather than asking developers to switch back to the old flawed approach. Providing filtering/grouping/sorting on the list of albums seems to fit nicely. See enhancement request 12676 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12676); I think this was also heavily discussed in the past on another bug report (can't find it now).

>And my opinion is as valid as yours.

Absolutely. The old system was working as intended, and the new system is working as intended. But it has been suggested that this new behaviour is a bug, whereas it was a conscious decision to change.

>And what do you mean 'not show normal albums'? An artist -is- the album artist for their normal
    >albums.
    >

Should be, but sadly not.

An album that hasn't been tagged with an album artist, has only "artist" roles. Internally, the scanner decides what the album artist is, and this is the artist that the album will be sorted under. But it is not stored as having a specific album artist contributor role. [These are often called "normal" albums - not compilations, not albums that have a specific album artist tag].

If an album is tagged with an explicit album artist tag, it is represented differently internally, and causes different behaviour in the application. You then get "album artist" and "track artist" roles stored in the database, no normal "artist" role.

SBS would display either a list of "normal albums" (which included album artists, and band/orchestra, composer, conductor if these were ticked in SBS library settings), or only albums with a specific role (eg. "album artist", not normal albums, not band, composer, conductor, etc).

>If you follow the breadcrumb trail into album X, which lists Album
    >Artist A and then click the album artist hyperlink it links to 'Artist
    >(A)'. It should link to 'Album Artist (A)' and should only link to
    >'Artist (A)' if you clicked the Artist hyperlink that isn't currently
    >there.
    >

In my opinion, that makes no sense.

I'm guessing that you always have an implicit album artist tag for every song on every album. This could be the difference - we used to experience different behaviour due to a subtlety in the way that albums are tagged.

>I'm not interested in odd albums that an artist has guested on or
    >compilations that they may have featured on 95% of the time, but want
    >to get to an artist's other albums, so this is functionality I used
    >regularly.
    >

But that's exactly the problem with the old system (for me). If you are playing a song by an artist, and that happens to be a song where the artist is a guest on another artist's album, clicking the artist name would only show other albums that the artist has been a guest on, not that artists normal albums. And there was no easy way to even navigate to show the normal albums.

>Clearly this isn't of interest to you with how you use your system, but
    >re-adding it wouldn't take away any functionality you have currently so
    >there's nothing for you to complain about really, is there?
    >

It would mean that clicking the artist link would be useless to me because 95% of my artists normal albums would be hidden. I'd have to manually navigate/search for the user to reveal the other albums. I have only a few albums where I have album artist tags, so this specific case doesn't affect me often. There are other cases though that affected me more (relating to the same issue).

I don't use 7.6, due to other reasons, but this is one thing in 7.6 that I think is actually an improvement.