Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezeb View Post
    Status update:
    Did the above, WiFi dropped again. Then remembered to go back to router to forward 3483 and 9000 with the new IP address. Left Radio on overnight, so far so good. I'll be editing this post with updates on uptime!
    Edit: Radio is still up, no dropouts! Thanks for all the feedback and tips, especially garym!
    Welp, perhaps I jinxed myself. Radio just dropped out-- WiFi icon red. No new deviced attached, nothing else changed with the network. Radio became very slow to respond as before (slow/laggy menus, button press registration, etc.) and couldn't connect to LMS.

Checked router and the Radio is no longer listed as an attached device. Just did a long-press/power off on the Radio, turned it back on, and it's back to being attached with the same IP address.

Maybe it was just a fluke, but I'll see how long it runs for.
    Edit: This time WiFi dropped in under an hour. Same thing happened as above. Argh.
    Last edited by squeezeb; 2012-03-24 at 22:18.

Another (but unlikely) thing to check is if you have duplicate IP's on your network. Check the IP of every device make sure there are no duplicates.

squeezeb,

I keep running in to the same issue. I have two squeezebox radios and a duet with controller. In my setup I have the duet receiver and one of the radios connected via ethernet and everything works as expected. I have the duet controller connected via wifi, and that works as expected. However, I cannot get either radio to stay connected via wifi. When I do a factory reset and go through the setup process the radio will connect (as verified on screen of the radio with the white wifi symbol, as well as from the console of my wireless infrastructure), but once I've gone through a few more setup screens the wifi symbol on the screen shows blue (and then red) and my console shows the radio no longer connected. This happens every single time without fail, and additionally, the radio becomes incredibly slow and takes as much as five seconds to respond to a single click or wheel rotation. I'm pretty sure the issues are related - the radio does not slow down when connected via ethernet. I've tried with and without wireless security, and I've tried with static IP and with DHCP. There are no duplicate IPs. Same results in all cases.

Wireless setup:
    -SSID is broadcast
    -I have tried WPA and WPA2, as well as temporarily turning off all encryption
    -Signal strength is 100% (according to radio diagnostic screen)
    -Radio has an IP address (according to the radio diagnostic screen), but can't ping it from other devices

So much for the battery I paid extra for; it's unusable if I have to keep the radio plugged in via Ethernet. I've ended up just keeping the device near an Ethernet port until this issue gets resolved - hopefully with new firmware.

Sure Radio is connecting to your network? Router use a Guest Network for WiFi?

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Sure Radio is connecting to your network? Router use a Guest Network for WiFi?
    I'm positive. If I look at the logs in my WLAN controller and DHCP server I see it connect very briefly, then (at about the same time the radio's UI slows to a crawl) the radio disconnects and shows the red WLAN icon.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Another (but unlikely) thing to check is if you have duplicate IP's on your network. Check the IP of every device make sure there are no duplicates.
    There are no duplicate IPs.
    Not using guest access/network.
    I am 10000% sure the Radio is connected to the network otherwise, until the WiFi icon turns red, the Radio slows to a crawl, and the device cannot be seen as an attached device on the router.

squeezemonkey: I, too, bought a damn battery for the thing!

If you have a local store, go buy a router that you can return and test it. A current high end Netgear N, Linksys (Cisco) 4200 or better, etc. If that resolves your issue, you can decide if it's worth it to you given the time you're investing.

I am also having trouble with my wi-fi connection. Every so often I will turn the radio on and see the red icon. If I reboot it will find the connection and all will be well.

I have had the radio for several years and have had good connectivity. The only thing that has changed on my set up has been the official up-grades of FW. However, I live in a condo and there are new people upstairs with a very strong wi-fi signal. In my living room, I get a stronger signal from his router than from my own. My living room computer often has the same problem as my radio and cannot connect to my router. I have to reboot the router. I don't know if my router is getting past its useful life or if upstairs is just interfering with a more powerful router. I am about to buy a super duper router to replace my 6-7 year old model and see if I can beat out his signal. Will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by mpower9 View Post
    I am also having trouble with my wi-fi connection. Every so often I will turn the radio on and see the red icon. If I reboot it will find the connection and all will be well.

I have had the radio for several years and have had good connectivity. The only thing that has changed on my set up has been the official up-grades of FW. However, I live in a condo and there are new people upstairs with a very strong wi-fi signal. In my living room, I get a stronger signal from his router than from my own. My living room computer often has the same problem as my radio and cannot connect to my router. I have to reboot the router. I don't know if my router is getting past its useful life or if upstairs is just interfering with a more powerful router. I am about to buy a super duper router to replace my 6-7 year old model and see if I can beat out his signal. Will report back.
    In your situation, it might help to have fixed IP addresses (not just reserved in your router). search the forum for threads on how to do this.

Also, I assume you've checked with inSSIDer or netstumbler to see what channel the neighbors are using and you use one far away. Stick with 1, 6, or 11 if possible as these don't overlap with other channels.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify

Update.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezeb View Post
    Welp, perhaps I jinxed myself. Radio just dropped out-- WiFi icon red. No new deviced attached, nothing else changed with the network. Radio became very slow to respond as before (slow/laggy menus, button press registration, etc.) and couldn't connect to LMS.

Checked router and the Radio is no longer listed as an attached device. Just did a long-press/power off on the Radio, turned it back on, and it's back to being attached with the same IP address.

Maybe it was just a fluke, but I'll see how long it runs for.
    Edit: This time WiFi dropped in under an hour. Same thing happened as above. Argh.
    Update: well, after the above happened and the WiFi dropped in under an hour, it ran continuously and without dropout until I got a new router. I'm testing out an Asus RT-N66U router now with WPA2-Personal, and have had no dropouts for 24hrs.

Interestingly, for kicks, I didn't reserve any IP addresses for any of the Squeezeboxes I have, and have done no port forwarding or anything else. The Radio is still programmed to 192.168.1.101 and is static.

So maybe it's the router? Or it could be the new firmware update for LMS and the Radio. Guess I can't tell now, but I'll plan on running it continuously and post an update as an edit to this post with uptime.

Thanks again for all your help folks.

Edit: was using a Netgear WDNR3700v1 router previously.
    Edit: everything's still running! No dropouts, Radio been on constantly, by itself and sync'd with other Booms. Been 48hrs so far.
    Edit: still running 100%. No dropouts. Will cease adding to this unless the problem crops up again.
    Last edited by squeezeb; 2012-04-01 at 18:17.