Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    So i ask you again. Can you tell us where you have the samples in the dithertest you offered over filedropper?
    Did you create them yourself, then please tell me how so i can compare on my own.
    I think when you drop in samples you should explain a bit.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Bob stuarts old paper is mentioned .
    I did not mention it myself as you can all see in my sig I'm a bit sold on Meridian equipment.

But it is an interesting read, arguing that the real limit that would include *real* golden ears and all humans would be 20bit 58kHz sampling somewhere , this is the background for Meridian to adopt 24/88.2 and 24/96 as maximum rate in thier digital speakers as these are the available " standard " rates used professionally . They picked the closest rates that where " better than CD" .

But even this would not be evident to everyone ( for example not me ) .

You must play really loud in very quit environment and good acoustics. With the best of gear.
    (much voodoo gear used by audiophiles would fail)

And be in the outlier of the curve of human hearing abilities an extreme specimen .
    audiophiles think they all belong here, in reality some rare musicians sound engineers and audio designers some combo of training and genes .

and the program material must benefit somehow , just like with CD .
    I believe that the sad state of things is that most masters are not better than CD this is evident by the horrible sound of most popular music since forever ago , the late loudness war is just the most recent atrocity (, maybenthe worst of them all ) .

This is the myth that alll "classic" albums magically can be saved from CD by hirez digital downloads the boring truth is probably that a remix from source multitrack or a very good remaster can do a great deal of good with some of them .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    So i ask you again. Can you tell us where you have the samples in the dithertest you offered over filedropper?
    Did you create them yourself, then please tell me how so i can compare on my own.
    I think when you drop in samples you should explain a bit.
    **The test was performed by reducing the level of a 24 bit file by 50 dB, which causes some of the original signal's level to drop below the -96 dBFS limit of 16 bit resolution, and then converting to 16 bit in various ways. The resulting files were then raised in level again for listening at relatively normal settings.
    The undithered example shows how the sound actually drops out, accompanied by ugly quantization noise. The other files demonstrate the effects of various dither algorithms available in Samplitude. The "triangular" variety is performed in three bit depths (relative to the LSB). Pow-R is a noise shaping algorithm. Observe how especially the third variety allows signals below -96 dBFS to be heard clearly, despite the dither noise**
    Vortexbox>SBT(stock)>>Forssell MDAC-2>>>Klein and Hummell 0300D

Sota Sapphire/Lyra Kleos>>Bespoke Valve Phono Stage>>Mastersound Due Venti>>Link Audio K100

Quote Originally Posted by TheOctavist View Post
    **The test was performed by reducing the level of a 24 bit file by 50 dB, which causes some of the original signal's level to drop below the -96 dBFS limit of 16 bit resolution, and then converting to 16 bit in various ways. The resulting files were then raised in level again for listening at relatively normal settings...
    So my educated guess with 48dB wasn┤t to much off

Btw. if you copy and paste text and even samples from some other places you should at least link to the original thread...
    In this case: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/4101422-post24.html
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

i'm doing my own dither comparison.

ill post how I see fit, though. thanks.
    Vortexbox>SBT(stock)>>Forssell MDAC-2>>>Klein and Hummell 0300D

Sota Sapphire/Lyra Kleos>>Bespoke Valve Phono Stage>>Mastersound Due Venti>>Link Audio K100

If someone likes i can add the sox dithernoise samples with these 50dB for easy comparison. I am a bit unhappy with the offered original sample because it has already shaped noise in but it should be ok.

To boot this to life again .

I've sometimes come across DAC's that don't upsample reedbook but still are capable of 24/96 there is usually some confused audiophile reasoning behind this . They may have different filters ( or none ) too.
    Have no current example in mind ( there is a new brand of Chinese audiophile DAC every week , with or without tubes ).

So yet again cult audio can come up with the unexpected DAC's that does sound different at different sample rates
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    So yet again cult audio can come up with the unexpected DAC's that does sound different at different sample rates
    Especialy since the most best DACs can┤t sound differernt to much anymore when they measure perfect. When there comes along a DAC that does everthing different and blows the others away with so much better sound you better run, don┤t walk

First they need to make the notorious "AUTOMIX" button that you can find on some of the cheaper mixing consoles work properly.