Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: raspberry pi

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by simbo View Post
    I don't think Logitech need to fear. There have been SB-alikes around for a long time, from Softsqueeze to hacked Jogglers. Some of them make great casual or hobby players, but none have the reliability or simplicity of dedicated hardware. In fact I think the SB ecosystem benefits from having them available.
    I could be wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time) but I think SoftSqueeze started in SlimDevices and was later curbed by Logitech.

P

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegaspode View Post
    This thread is pretty confusing

As I see it:
    SqueezeSlave is open-sourced, C based and also runs on ARM.
    Actually it already runs on the SheevaPlug, which is essentially a Rasperry Pi on Steorids (more CPU, more RAM).
    Shouldn't be a problem to make it run on Rasperry Pi.

I also think that soon people will try to run Android on the Rasperry Pi. If that works, als the known App for playback can be downloaded to the Pi.
    Android-pi: interesting idea but at this point the phone OS ecosystem has exploded in terms of main memory and storage. The RasPi is deficient but let's remember this prolly isn't a v0.8 release.

My question would be: What would I gain from Android-pi vs a stripped-down distro (like VortexBox?) If all it's going to do is play, the only two parameters are convenience and cost.

P

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    Can't wait to see what people do with this. I'm most interested in building a cheap NAS/server.
    My Buffalo NAS are ARM w/256 as far as I know. I only use them for NAS, however.

The problem with RasPi as a NAS processor at this point is the speed of the USB <if it is USB 2.0>

The gigabit in my Buffalo generally do a little over a gigabyte per minute to the dual core 2006 heaters on my network.

If you RasPi'ed using USB 2.0 disks you might not like doing anything with larger files. Of course, streaming could be copasetic. Of course, it could take a long time while you are sleeping as well.

P

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    I could be wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time) but I think SoftSqueeze started in SlimDevices and was later curbed by Logitech.

P
    IIRC Softsqueeze was written by Richard Titmuss when he was an ordinary user. He was later "employed" by Slimdevices and Softsqueeze was adopted by Slimdevices and bundled with Slimserver although not sure which came first.

When Squeezeplay was developed, Softsqueeze was effectively replaced and so Logitech stopped "supporting" it and so it became community supported. I think "curbed" is too strong - its functionality has not been changed.

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    IIRC Softsqueeze was written by Richard Titmuss when he was an ordinary user. He was later "employed" by Slimdevices and Softsqueeze was adopted by Slimdevices and bundled with Slimserver although not sure which came first.

When Squeezeplay was developed, Softsqueeze was effectively replaced and so Logitech stopped "supporting" it and so it became community supported. I think "curbed" is too strong - its functionality has not been changed.
    Thanks for the info. I started just as the Duet was released <but not shipped>

I've always loved Softsqueeze for two reasons: remote install is easy over the phone and <before the Touch and Radio> exactly emulates my hardware.

Despite all the complaints about software players, I've never had an issue with sync.

Paul