Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Boom: can connect to one computer/server, not another

Just got a new router (Medialink, replacing Linksys). Got desktop, laptop, printer, and iPod Touch connected with no problem. My Squeezebox Boom connects to the network just fine but will not connect to Logitech Media Server (v. 7.7.1) runnng on the desktop computer (which has Vista as an OS). I've tried power cycling both Boom and computer, restarting the router, flushing the Squeezebox cache on the computer, resetting to factory settings on the Boom. No help. I can get to mysqueezebox.com on the Boom, so it's connected to the network and the Internet OK. I've tried fiddling with every setting I can find on the router, typing the IP address of the Logitech server in manually, stopping my antivirus, plugging the Boom directly into the router via Ethernet cable. No help.

I also have an older version of Squeezebox Server (7.6.1) on my laptop (Windows 7, with same antivirus program as desktop), with a separate music library on a USB drive plugged into the laptop. Turns out the Boom *can* connect to the server on the *laptop* and play just fine. Which is nice, but I really want to get it connected to the server on my desktop so I don't have to have the laptop running to use the Boom.

Should I try to find an older version of Squeezebox Server to install on the desktop? Except for the different versions of Squeezebox/Logitech servers and the different Windows OS's, I don't know what else is different between the two machines that could cause this problem.

Added note: Boom was working fine with server on desktop yesterday on old router.
    Last edited by Moxilator; 2012-03-03 at 11:21. Reason: Adding info.

Go to LMS > Control Panel > Diagnostics, what is reported for ALL ports, pings, IP's?

Here is everything on the Diagnostics tab of LMS Control Panel.

Logitech Media Server
    Logitech Media Server: Running
    Server IP Address: 192.168.2.100
    Port 3483 (slimproto): OK
    Port 9000 (HTTP): OK
    Port 9090 (CLI): OK

mysqueezebox.com
    Server IP address: 50.17.238.167
    Ping: OK
    Port 3483 (slimproto): OK
    Port 9000 (HTTP): OK

Nothing in the Alerts box

This is LMS Server on the desktop, BTW.
    Last edited by Moxilator; 2012-03-03 at 12:01. Reason: adding info

Firewall it is usually the firewall port 3483 tcp and udp and port 9000 tcp must be open .

Touch and server should be on the same network and subnet .

Under my music there is a switch library menu you should be able to se any and all running LMS servers there.

What is the ip and subnet of the desktop assuming laptop was 192.168.2.100

What is the actual ip address of the Touch itself if everything adds up they should all have a variant of 192.168.2.x and subnetmask 255..255.255.0
    The router is 192.168.2.1 I assume .

Why 192.168.2... 192.168.1... Or 192.168.0... Is more common do you have multiple routers and AP's running
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

192.168.2.xxx does seem quite odd.... (versus the more typical 192.168.1.xxx)
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify

The 192.168.2.... etc. is per the instructions for setting up the router with a DSL modem. It would be 192.168.0.... for a cable modem. Wireless routers tend to work a little differently with DSL modems and cable modems. One reason for getting the new router was I got fed up with problems between the DSL and the old wireless router. So far, this router is working well except for this one glitch.

I have narrowed the problem to the firewall on the desktop running Vista. I can get the Squeezebox connected to LMS on the laptop running Windows 7 or on my old desktop running Windows XP. I've been fiddling with all the settings on the Vista firewall with no success. Only way to connect the Squeezebox with LMS on the Vista desktop is by turning off the firewall altogether, which isn't acceptable. So for the time being, I'm using the old Windows XP desktop as a dedicated music server for Squeezebox. Sub-ideal, but there's only so many hours I can spend troubleshooting this. I've opened ports, I've made sure LMS is checked as an exception for the firewall, and I can't find anything else in the Windows firewalls settings to tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxilator View Post
    The 192.168.2.... etc. is per the instructions for setting up the router with a DSL modem. It would be 192.168.0.... for a cable modem. Wireless routers tend to work a little differently with DSL modems and cable modems. One reason for getting the new router was I got fed up with problems between the DSL and the old wireless router. So far, this router is working well except for this one glitch.

I have narrowed the problem to the firewall on the desktop running Vista. I can get the Squeezebox connected to LMS on the laptop running Windows 7 or on my old desktop running Windows XP. I've been fiddling with all the settings on the Vista firewall with no success. Only way to connect the Squeezebox with LMS on the Vista desktop is by turning off the firewall altogether, which isn't acceptable. So for the time being, I'm using the old Windows XP desktop as a dedicated music server for Squeezebox. Sub-ideal, but there's only so many hours I can spend troubleshooting this. I've opened ports, I've made sure LMS is checked as an exception for the firewall, and I can't find anything else in the Windows firewalls settings to tweak.
    got it on the IP address of router. Any address is fine as long as everything on the network is consistent. But it appears you've discovered the problem (firewall). Can't offer any help there (other than suggesting you install xp or win7 on the vista machine, as vista seems to cause lots of problems, not just with SB players. ;-)
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify

Yeah, Vista is not my favorite flavor of Windows, to say the least.

I suppose I could try installing a third-party firewall instead of using the native Windows one. Might be more flexible.

Good progress !

Re ip ranges a common mistake when mixing and matching routers AP's and dsl modems is to not make sure that there is only one dhcp in the system.

After that another mistake is to run dsl modem and router as 2 routers in series the dsl modem is wan for the router with dhcp . So that all kind of port forwarding has to be performed twice and other problems and if this combo gets a weird startup all kind of funny things can happen when the dsl assign ip trough to not yet fully running router .

When I used Adsl I bridged the modem and did my ppoe account settings in my router so I got rid of that problem .

another way is to get a combined dsl modem/router thing then sorts out itself .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

This is an interesting thread because I may have the same issue. I am setting up a network music system for someone (ie not me) and have run into trouble while trying to get LMS to start up automatically. !!1 My sig details below are for my own setup!!

They are running Vista with native firewall and I have been getting problems with a Touch connecting to LMS 7.7.1 running on the Vista machine; as well as other issues!! The wireless router is a BT supplied one and there is no other network gear other than the Touch.

On checking LMS diagnostics everything looks OK except it doesn't see the Touch. Squeezeplay on the same machine works fine.

The connection problems started when I tried to get LMS running as service. I was fighting windows UAC issues to get it to run without user interaction as a process when I came across this latest issue. I changed from automatic starting LMS at logon to automatic start system start. ie from process to service, squeezesvr to squeezesvc.

Getting the setting "run at system start" to even stick as a setting was a problem as well as issues with LMS process and control panel being blocked by windows UAC.

On changing LMS to run as a service the Touch cannot now connect whereas Squeezeplay can. Coincidence ?

Moxilator how is your LMS starting, as a process or as a service?
    Last edited by m4rk; 2012-03-06 at 08:56.
    QNAP NAS TS219P+, Western Digital WD1002FAEX 1 TB, multiple Logitech Touch's and Radios, SqueezePlay on various PC's, DBPowerAmp, MP3Tag, FLAC