Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It seems like I still have troubles understanding how the LMS is working.

I have now tested what I like to do with a really small database. Here's my steps:

1. I have made 2 folders on the C: drive on the PC where LMS is running. I have added one link in each folder to my NAS (on 24/7). This I do to test if it is possible to rescan one folder at a time.

2. The first time I scan I use the button at the bottom, sets the option to clear library. Then everything works as expected.

3. Then I want to rescan one folder. If I click on the second folder rescan button it starts removing deleted files. Then it shows "Removing deleted files: (305 of 305) Complete 00:00:14"

4. Now my library is EMPTY!!!

5. If I click the button again nothing happens!! If I click on the rescan button for the first folder nothing happens either.

6. Under media scan details I find this: Progress information from the previous scan is not available.

This behaviour cannot be correct, what is wrong with my settings (I run Vista business)

kind regards
    Jarle

Here's more.

Finally something positive. On one of my NAS's I have installed 7.7.1 - r33735 and it works as I had expected the server to do when I started out testing this a couple of weeks back.

I can click on one folder button and it rescans that folder only, even thou when it cannot find the last scan results. I only have to click it twice.

But I still cannot do this when running 7.7.1 -r33750 on my Vista comupter. It just empties my database and starts scanning from the beginning, and it also seems to stop scanning after 48hours or so. At least it doesn't show any progress anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylman View Post
    Here's more.

Finally something positive. On one of my NAS's I have installed 7.7.1 - r33735 and it works as I had expected the server to do when I started out testing this a couple of weeks back.

I can click on one folder button and it rescans that folder only, even thou when it cannot find the last scan results. I only have to click it twice.

But I still cannot do this when running 7.7.1 -r33750 on my Vista comupter. It just empties my database and starts scanning from the beginning, and it also seems to stop scanning after 48hours or so. At least it doesn't show any progress anymore.
    48 hours ? I suspect that it crashed already the web-UI would not be updated then on a machine that can run vista the scan should not take that long ever not even with >100000 files
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Check the scanner log

LMS web interface -> Settings -> Information -> Scroll down to the bottom of the page -> Scanner Log File

This is what I have, doesn't say much to me:

main::main (200) Starting Logitech Media Server scanner (v7.7.1, r33750, Mon Dec 12 09:42:47 PST 2011) perl 5.014001
    Slim::Schema::forceCommit (2118) Warning: Trying to commit transactions before DB is initialized!
    Slim::Music::Import::runImporter (485) Starting Slim::Media::MediaFolderScan scan
    Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::rescan (171) Discovering audio files in C:\Musikk
    Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::__ANON__ (254) Removing deleted audio files (0)
    Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::__ANON__ (332) Scanning new audio files (0)
    Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::__ANON__ (410) Rescanning changed audio files (0)
    Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::rescan (171) Discovering audio files in C:\Musikk2
    Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::__ANON__ (254) Removing deleted audio files (0)
    Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::__ANON__ (332) Scanning new audio files (0)
    Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::__ANON__ (410) Rescanning changed audio files (0)
    Slim::Utils::Scanner::Local::rescan (171) Discovering audio files in C:\Musikk3
    Slim::Utils::SQLiteHelper::updateProgress (405) Warning: Server aborted scan, shutting down

Slim::Schema::forceCommit (2118) Warning: Trying to commit transactions before DB is initialized!
    Hmmm. I don't know exactly what this means, but I think I would uninstall and re-install LMS if I were you.

Try installing LMS with administrator privileges (right-click on the LMS install file and choose "Run as administrator").

Quote Originally Posted by vinylman View Post
    Here's more.

Can you give us an idea of your folder structure? I think you may have a fundamental misunderstanding how this all works. It is very different from iTunes, there is no need to add new music folder-by-folder.

On the Synology NAS, you have a "public" folder. If all your music is stored in sub-folders below the public one then you only need to point Logitech Media Server (LMS) at "public" and it will scan the whole drive of folders and subfolders for music files. It will simply ignore any files or folders that are not music. Provided the music files are tagged with relevant artist and track data you should be able to find them once the scanner has done its job.

My library is sorted in a file tree as follows:
    Public\Music\Genre\Artist\Album\Track No - Track Name.flac

for instance

Public\Music\Pop & Rock\Adele\21\01 - Rolling in the deep.flac
    or
    Public\Music\Opera\Verdi\La Traviata\01 - Prelude.flac

All I need to do is point LMS at the "Music" folder and it scans every sub folder for music files. I could just as effectively point it to "Public". It would take a while longer though and if it encounters a shortcut to an external drive it will scan that as well! If all your music is in folders beneath "Public" on both NAS just add a shortcut in the Public folder of the one hosting LMS pointing to the other NAS's Public folder and you have covered your whole library.

This is not particularly efficient however. You should seriously consider moving all your music files onto the NAS hosting LMS under a single "music" folder. It will save a lot of time and hassle! No need to set up a complicated sub-folder arrangment like mine. I just do that because I am obsessive compulsive

By the way, I have set up LMS to automatically rescan my library for changed and added files at 4:00am every day. That way if I add music it is always in my LMS library the next morning.
    Last edited by TheLastMan; 2012-04-10 at 05:57.
    Matt
    http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
    SqueezeBoxes: Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen) and a piCorePlayer
    Server: Synology DS111 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.7.3 (official Synology package)
    Network: Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH access point
    Livingroom: Receiver, Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers
    Study: Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline

I really gave up on the Windows LMS a couple of months back. And that is really sad, as I would like to use a computer instead of the NAS as it responds better when browsing folders and do searches.

I really understand what you are writing. What I don't understand is why I cannot just rescan one folder when I have added several folders to the LMS. I got it working on the NAS but not in the Windows version.

My Linux version on Synolgy NAS behaves like this and is great. I can click the rescan for any folder and it scans that folder only. When I see the scanning for new files hangs I abort the process. Starts again by clicking the rescan button for that certain folder. I get a message that the last scan was abortet. But then I only click again and it scans that folder only.

If I try to rescan one folder in the Windows version it rescans all folders.

Any explanations to this behavior of the Windows version.

Jarle