Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Maintaining multiple different libraries over multiple different storage devices all accessed over a network is unusual and can be troublesome.

Mnyb and toby10, it seems you have understood how I use this and had hoped to use it. I really like to browse folders in search of music. And it works on the Squeezebox quite good. I did convert music to computers long before mediaplayers became common and my files are stored in a certain structure like a library. And after years of using TVerstiy I am used to add folder by folder and scan those I like when I like. That's how my mind was set up when I started using LMS and my SB Touch last week-end.

I little bit more about my setup. I have two Synology NAS's with files in addition to two computers. At the moment I have now removed the two computers to test if it works better with the NAS's only. Both are wired and on all the time.

At the moment I run the server on a 3rd computer also wired, without any music files on it. And adds the NAS folders with network addresses (NAS IP/share/folders) as explained earlier.

Would it be a better solution to run two LMS servers each on one of the NAS's?

Quote Originally Posted by vinylman View Post
    Mnyb and toby10, it seems you have understood how I use this and had hoped to use it. I really like to browse folders in search of music. And it works on the Squeezebox quite good. I did convert music to computers long before mediaplayers became common and my files are stored in a certain structure like a library. And after years of using TVerstiy I am used to add folder by folder and scan those I like when I like. That's how my mind was set up when I started using LMS and my SB Touch last week-end.

I little bit more about my setup. I have two Synology NAS's with files in addition to two computers. At the moment I have now removed the two computers to test if it works better with the NAS's only. Both are wired and on all the time.

At the moment I run the server on a 3rd computer also wired, without any music files on it. And adds the NAS folders with network addresses (NAS IP/share/folders) as explained earlier.

Would it be a better solution to run two LMS servers each on one of the NAS's?
    Agree, LMS can be very stable with a large music collection.

if your folder structure is organized, and it sounds like it is, you can easily use mp3tag to create your metadata with a couple of mouse clicks in a batch approach across thousands of files (album, artist, track # and name, etc.) (yes it works with file types other than mp3 too)

regarding runing two LMS servers (one on each NAS), it really depends on how powerful these NAS units are. Some NAS units can work really well (the high end ReadyNAS units) and some will work but are painfully slow and problematic. And some NAS units simply can't run LMS.

But if you say that both NAS units are always on, then no need to run LMS on both. LMS on any computer on your network can see those files on the NAS and that can be included in your active library. Can you leave the 3rd computer on 24/7 (or at least set it to use WOL). With this, running LMS on the 3rd computer and pointing it at the file shares on the two NAS units should solve your problem if the NAS units are always on (and the 3rd computer "sees" the network shares *before* LMS starts up on your 3rd computer).
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Also, if you are really only interested in navigating by Music Folder, I don't think you have to scan at all. They will just be there (I think).
    This is *way* under utilizing the benefits of LMS, but if that is all you want....

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Also, if you are really only interested in navigating by Music Folder, I don't think you have to scan at all. They will just be there (I think).
    This is *way* under utilizing the benefits of LMS, but if that is all you want....
    True, but I *think* that once you browse files with music folder, they get added to your LMS library. And then if those files weren't connected the next time you start LMS, it would probably want to do the library scan that the OP is concerned about. Don't know for sure as I have metadata in all my files and they are in a permanent location so no rescanning takes place unless I manually tell it to.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I have installed the server on a windows PC on a local network, with no media files locally. All media files are store on different PC's or NAS's.
    This isn't a great idea in my experience. Too many things to go wrong. Unless you have a ridiculous amount of music, it would be best to have it all on a local hard drive or drives on the computer running LMS.

3. When I try to rescan one folder, it seems like the server is rescanning all folders. Is there a way to rescan one folder?
    No.

4. Is there a way to back up folder settings? If I have to reinstall the server, it would be a lot of time saved, as I will end up with maybe 30-40 folders or more.
    Backup the server's preferences folder. Its location is shown in the web interface on the Settings > Information page.

Yes I use static IP for all devices, but ofcours some might be turned off while LMS is running.
    That's a particularly bad problem with Logitech Music Server. If you rescan while a device is off, its content will be removed from the library, same as if you'd deleted the files.

I don't have 40 different locations just 4-5, but I want to do everything that is possible to make LMS to rescan as smallest parts of my collection as possible when adding new files. So theres's no solution to this wish at the moment. I had hoped that the server did rescan only when I clicked the rescan button for that certain folder and only rescan that folder, not the whole library every time.
    When you run a 'new & changed' scan, the time needed to scan unchanged content is minimal. It doesn't actually rescan the files, it just checks file sizes and timestamps against entries in its database and skips files that haven't changed.

After reading all the posts, it seems I have found a solution that hopefully work great with my setup. And thanks to you guys, I now understands a little bit more how the server works.

I have set the server to not start automatically after login. I now start it manually. I have set the automatic scan to off. And I have only one master folder added to the server.

In more details it is like this: I have a folder on the same PC as the LMS is running, this older is added to the LMS. Inside that folder I have put shortcuts to the many folders I have on the 2 NAS's. At first I just added one shortcut to the folder. I then added a new shortcut. The LMS very quickly checked the folder and then added the files from the new shortcut. I then added a third shortcut and it quckly scanned for new files and then added the files from the folder where the third shortcut pointed at.

This hopefully means that I now never really will experience a new complete scan without my knowledge, every time I try to rescan a folder.
    And hopefully the server will not detect a reboot of the NAS's when the LMS is idling without any players on and now scanning going on. Or if there's a network error or something.

I will let you know in a couple of days if I am about to be a happy SB Touch owner :-)

THANKS!!!

Kind regards
    Jarle

I have set the automatic scan to off.
    Where do you see that? There was never any automatic library scanning on Windows and I think it's been removed from other platforms as well. The only time that I'm aware of a scan being launched automatically on starup is when the library is empty. And the only time while idle would be when a scan is scheduled via the Rescan Music Library plugin.

In more details it is like this: I have a folder on the same PC as the LMS is running, this older is added to the LMS. Inside that folder I have put shortcuts to the many folders I have on the 2 NAS's. At first I just added one shortcut to the folder. I then added a new shortcut. The LMS very quickly checked the folder and then added the files from the new shortcut. I then added a third shortcut and it quckly scanned for new files and then added the files from the folder where the third shortcut pointed at.
    What did all that of accomplish instead of just adding them all at once?

This hopefully means that I now never really will experience a new complete scan without my knowledge, every time I try to rescan a folder.
    I'm not seeing it. You've just swapped multiple media folder with one containing all of them. Your only option now is to scan that one folder, and it will still scan all of them.
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2012-03-04 at 14:32.

Yes I see that I need to rescan all the folders and I would be happy to avoid this. But adding folder by folder was not working very well either. Nothing happened when I cliked the rescan button beside the folder. The LMS only started scanning when I clicked the scan button at the bottom.

The setting for automatic scan I found under advanced/Rescan Music Library/Rescan Timer=off

When I added all the folders to the LMS one by one, it rescanned all the folders everytime I tried to rescan only one or add one. Even thou I had set the option to search for new and updated files, it rescanned all the folders one at a time very slowly as when the Library was bulid the first time I made a scan.

I personally thought that I had done it smart the first time, but from the thread I thought that the reason for the complete rescan was that the LMS experienced some missing folders or something.

I have about 100 folders totally, that I certainly would like to rescan one by one, when I add a new album to one of them. But I was not able to make it work as expected.

Kind regards
    Jarle
    Last edited by vinylman; 2012-03-04 at 15:10.

The setting for automatic scan I found under advanced/Rescan Music Library/Rescan Timer=off
    Right, that's the plugin I mentioned above. By default it should have been off to begin with. It's capable of rescanning the music library just once a day, but shouldn't cause scans to be launched when the server starts up (maybe it does if a scheduled scan was missed, but I run the server 24x7, so couldn't say). I use it to schedule a 'new & changed' scan every night to pick up any new music that I may have added during the day and forgotten to scan.

Good luck to you, but I'll say again that I think having that all of that library content spread around on so many devices is going to be hard to handle with LMS. Especially if those storage devices are shut down while LMS is running.