Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Using Squeezebox for the first time, a couple of questions

I just bought myself a Squeezebox touch and it seems like I am going to like it......at least when I have solved or understood how the library scanning works.

But I have a couple of questions after a owning it for a couple of days. I have used and are still using other music servers and network players like MediaMonkey, TVersity, PS3 and PCH-110.

I have installed the server on a windows PC on a local network, with no media files locally. All media files are store on different PC's or NAS's.

1. I am about to add several folders to the server using paths like this:
    \\192.168.0.192\music\60's
    \\192.168.0.198\music\70's
    etc.
    Is there a limit for the amount of folders, and will it be any problems with this way of addressing folders instead of mounting network shares?

2. I have experienced that the server rescans all folders everytime I add a new one, is this correct? And it also seems to rescan folders when I reboot the PC, is there any settings for this, as I do not want this to happen?

3. When I try to rescan one folder, it seems like the server is rescanning all folders. Is there a way to rescan one folder?

4. Is there a way to back up folder settings? If I have to reinstall the server, it would be a lot of time saved, as I will end up with maybe 30-40 folders or more.

kind regards
    Jarle

Why not have one high level folder with all the other folders under it. Then only one entry in Lms. Or one directory that has links to all other directories. Same idea with only one directory entry on Lms.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Why not have one high level folder with all the other folders under it. Then only one entry in Lms. Or one directory that has links to all other directories. Same idea with only one directory entry on Lms.
    Thanks for the answer, but how does that make me scan only one folder for instance?

If I choose to have one folder, I have to rescan all the folder, even thou I have only added one album to, let's say my \\192.168.0.187\music\Country folder. With several folders I had hoped it was possible to rescan that folder only.

Linking? How do I link so that the media server understands that the files are placed in different locations on several network shares?

kind regards
    Jarle
    Last edited by vinylman; 2012-03-02 at 17:04.

You can add the \\192.168.1.x\music folder an be done this will include all subfolders for that storage .
    Assume you don't have 40 different locations .

Also these storage devices and other computers do they have static ip addressing ?

Note that LMS expects to find it's music folders while it is running, it will dump it's database if folders are missing assuming the dB would be invalid due to some major change and require a rescan .

Another way is to point it to one local folder and in that one have shortcuts to the other folders and shares
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    You can add the \\192.168.1.x\music folder an be done this will include all subfolders for that storage .
    Assume you don't have 40 different locations .

Also these storage devices and other computers do they have static ip addressing ?

Note that LMS expects to find it's music folders while it is running, it will dump it's database if folders are missing assuming the dB would be invalid due to some major change and require a rescan .

Another way is to point it to one local folder and in that one have shortcuts to the other folders and shares
    Yes I use static IP for all devices, but ofcours some might be turned off while LMS is running.

I don't have 40 different locations just 4-5, but I want to do everything that is possible to make LMS to rescan as smallest parts of my collection as possible when adding new files. So theres's no solution to this wish at the moment. I had hoped that the server did rescan only when I clicked the rescan button for that certain folder and only rescan that folder, not the whole library every time.

I will test the shortcut idea for a little while, and add one folder at a time, too see if it is quicker to rescan the whole library that way, but I cannot see why this will be better. It will certainly help me when I have to reinstall the server as I do not need to add 40 shares manually every time.
    Last edited by vinylman; 2012-03-03 at 03:24.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylman View Post
    4. Is there a way to back up folder settings? If I have to reinstall the server, it would be a lot of time saved, as I will end up with maybe 30-40 folders or more......
    Upgrading or reinstalling LMS will maintain the previous LMS settings, including folder types & locations.

Yes I use static IP for all devices, but ofcours some might be turned off while LMS is running.

I don't have 40 different locations just 4-5, but I want to do everything that is possible to make LMS to rescan as smallest parts of my collection as possible when adding new files. So theres's not solution to this wish at the moment. I had hoped that the server did rescan only when I clicked the rescan button for that certain folder and only rescan that folder, not the whole library every time.
    If you add a folder it rescans the whole library, but you should be able to run a scan for one folder only after that for further additions of music in the same folder .

For kicks try the 7.7.2 beta to see if this is less buggy .

If it's still buggy maybe it's time to reopen that bug report ?
    Any third party plugins some of them can interact weirdly here ?

It worked last time I tried which was a while ago , since I'm using the music ip and sugarcube plugins which are incompatible with a multi location setup, so I can't try it the current beta .

But I have all music on the same machine as LMS which speeds up scan greatly and a relatively smallish collection of 2918 albums and approximately 35000 tracks so adding an album in this context is not so time consuming that it annoys me .

Are all those locations wired otherwise it's seems a fragile propositions to have wireless file storage ?
    Migth be simpler to just plunk in a 3TB drive(s) in one computer and run LMS there
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

You should try this when the system is stable .

All assigned music folders are really there up and running and available to LMS do not tick anything but music as an option ( not video or pictures )

Make sure all storage is running before starting LMS.

You have recently done a full scan .

Now try to press the scan button beside one folder , do type anything in box for the path this will be interpreted as if you are changing it .
    edit: Changing any of the tick boxes for media type would also very likely set off a full scan !

What I'm at here is that fi for example 3 of 5 locations are running LMS may sense that and always do full scans to fix it's database which now can't contain the music that is not there anymore it is one common database.

Tanks for answers

No wireless storage at the moment.

I try the Beta first and get back with the results, I am a bit tired of not gettting this to work as expected. After the Touch I had planned to buy a couple of more boxes, but at the moment I feel it's nothing more than an internet radio for me. The turn on was the gapless playback I misses using Tversity and PS3. But when I try to play it the files are not there, sometimes they are there in the evening and in the morning they are gone again.

Thanks so far.

Kind regards
    Jarle

Tanks for answers

No wireless storage at the moment.

I try the Beta first and get back with the results, I am a bit tired of not gettting this to work as expected. After the Touch I had planned to buy a couple of more boxes, but at the moment I feel it's nothing more than an internet radio for me. The turn on was the gapless playback I misses using Tversity and PS3. But when I try to play it the files are not there, sometimes they are there in the evening and in the morning they are gone again.

Thanks so far.

Kind regards
    Jarle
    it does work and very stable to , but your intended use expose a weakness in the system as long as LMS is running the music folders must be available to LMS . LMS can not read your mind and assume that a certain combination of music folders will be available later, the folders must really be the same as when it scanned the intended use is a permanent music library in a permanent location .

Fastest acess is trough artist or album menus etc " music folder " menu is really for untagged or badly tagged stuff or tests note that this menu is unavailable while scanning

If the LMS computer have been off you may be listening to web radio via mysqueezebox.com choosing "music library" would reconnect you to LMS again if it is running, Touch can use WOL wake on LAN to kick the server out of sleep mode to be able to connect, a gotcha here would be LMS on wifi connected computer as the is almost no wifi that supports WOL . LMS should for best performance run on a wired machine.