Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Pippin, ipeng and delta airlines

I notice a penguin that looks like pippin's avatar on the rebooting screen in the back of seat monitor in Delta's first class cabin. Seems to be a Linux program. Is there some computer/penguin connection of which I'm not aware?
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

It's Tux.

Well the penguin is the mascot of Linux. Story goes Linus Torvald the creator of Linux liked penguins. And they had a logo competition in which the penguin you see on the Linux boot screen is Tux.

Not sure why ipeng uses a penguin, he may have an explanation on his website.

Aha. I had no clue. Thanks.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by m1abrams View Post
    Not sure why ipeng uses a penguin, he may have an explanation on his website.
    Indeed. And no, it has nothing to do with Linux.
    http://penguinlovesmusic.de/about/the-story/

Actually, the _true_ story is more prosaic, or is it?

When I started experimenting with streaming clients (not yet the Squeebeox back then, I came to the Squeezebox because of it's remote control capabilities) I always said that I want an "iPhone without the Phone" for remote control. Now an iPhone without a Phone is an "i", which is pronounced like the German word for "egg" and that was always my code name for the original skin.

Then when I found others might want to use it, too, I needed an icon and "egg" sounded like it fits a bird and then - my graphics skills are really, really limited - I checked the icons I have around here and there was the one with my penguin et voilÓ....
    And iPeng really _looks_ sooooo much like "iPhone" and "iPod" and all of this which is also kind of cool.
    Last edited by pippin; 2012-02-23 at 18:09.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Indeed. And no, it has nothing to do with Linux.
    http://penguinlovesmusic.de/about/the-story/

Actually, the _true_ story is more prosaic, or is it?

When I started experimenting with streaming clients (not yet the Squeebeox back then, I came to the Squeezebox because of it's remote control capabilities) I always said that I want an "iPhone without the Phone" for remote control. Now an iPhone without a Phone is an "i", which is pronounced like the German word for "egg" and that was always my code name for the original skin.

Then when I found others might want to use it, too, I needed an icon and "egg" sounded like it fits a bird and then - my graphics skills are really, really limited - I checked the icons I have around here and there was the one with my penguin et voilÓ....
    And iPeng really _looks_ sooooo much like "iPhone" and "iPod" and all of this which is also kind of cool.
    Thanks pippin. Great story!

pski
    All of Delta's interactive screens are linux based clients that connect to the on-board media server

IPeng is an ok name it works and is easy to remember it catches on .

What to call stuff ? If I somehow cobbled together app it would named just as lamely as my handle on this forum :-/ logo would be the " circle of creativity" ( a coffee cup stain) as in some old Dillbert comic.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html