Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    LMS is Logitech Media Server. It's software that runs on your computer or NAS (network attached storage) for serving audio to Squeezeboxes. The biggest difference from mysb.com is that LMS allows you to play your own music, provided it is on a hard disk available somewhere on your home network. It also allows you to listen to internet radio without mysb.com.

And yes, if you take the Radio and go on vacation, but leave the computer with LMS behind, you won't have access to the stations you saved on LMS. (Actually you may be able to connect to the LMS computer remotely over the internet, but that topic is a little too advanced for this discussion.)
    Thanks again. That's pretty much what I thought. And, if mysb.com goes down for good, it's nice to know there's a solution for local listening.

Plus, I like this forum because everyone KNOWS solutions would be posed if/when I forget, should this happen.

And if a new CEO walked and decided to scrap the operation now, they would be legally required to run mysqueezebox.com untill warranty and consumer laws experied on the last sold player that is 2 years in Eu or accept return of money on all recently sold units .

So a lot of time to plan ahead .

In doomsday scenarios don't forget all services and radio stations they can dissapear with much quicker notice .

So if MOG Spotify Pandora Napster etc gets in trouble they could say hey sorry well be gone next month and cancel your subscription. Radio stations and free services can just be gone next second tuneIn or shoutcast could just pull the plug and walk out.

So in the first days of WW3 mysqueezebox.com would still work, providing " sound effects plugin" sounds and nothing else but it would still be running rigth.

No online solution can ever substitute owning you own audio files , best case lossles audio files ( with backupp )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

So I was right! All of these ifs, buts and maybes still come down to the same thing - unlike most, if not all, other Internet radios, the SBR cannot be used to access radio stations directly. Considering that it costs as much as other Internat radios that also offer DAB and FM reception, I find this situation to be outrageous.
    The fact that you could still use it with LMS on your home computer is cold comfort because you would actually be better off with a conventional multi-function Internet radio that is not dependent on another device for its functionality.
    Licenced radio amateur. Electronics/IT engineer. Translator of Dutch and French to English. Received SBR as a Christmas present 2011.

That's not true. Most other internet radios use similar services like Receiva's
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 7, the Universal App for iOS 7

IIRC Years ago Turtle beach Audiotron had similar problem with TurtleRadio and user were given a workaround before official servewr was closed and I think users operated an alternative server afterwards.

Interesting possible similar scenario with Harmony Link recently appeared due to bug in iOS. The Engadget quote was
    While we're sure this is a temporary problem and the servers will be restored before too long, it does make you wonder why Logitech would design a solution that wouldn't work at all when a server can't be contacted.
    See http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/05/s...a-paperweight/

Terratec Noxon also used a 3rd party server to provide radio URLs.
    Last edited by bpa; 2012-02-07 at 05:12.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGeek View Post
    So I was right! All of these ifs, buts and maybes still come down to the same thing - unlike most, if not all, other Internet radios, the SBR cannot be used to access radio stations directly. Considering that it costs as much as other Internat radios that also offer DAB and FM reception, I find this situation to be outrageous.
    The fact that you could still use it with LMS on your home computer is cold comfort because you would actually be better off with a conventional multi-function Internet radio that is not dependent on another device for its functionality.
    Most are using similar services in the background reciva is one of them, run by the chip manufacturer I think ? same same , you only think they are independent as you don't manage any personal account or similar
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGeek View Post
    I don't think this is correct. Not 100% sure, but I think all other internet radio hardware I've heard of still requires a server (in the cloud somewhere) to work as the connection between internet radio (and their stream's URL) and the radio. This typically is transparent to the user to a large extent, but its there (e.g., Receiva that pippin mentioned).

Now, once you move to your own local server (where you the end user can enter URLs directly), you're back to being able to do this without some server in the cloud.

Even using apps on an iphone/itouch that can stream internet radio (I have several) probably requires that APPLE remain in business and keep the infrastructure in place.

p.s. my little box I bought to be able to stream NETFLIX movies to my TV will also be worthless if NETFLIX goes out of business. My Keurig pod coffee makers will be worthless if they quit making the pods, etc. If one becomes too paranoid, it becomes miserable to think about getting out of bed. ;-)
    Last edited by garym; 2012-02-07 at 05:21.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    If one becomes too paranoid, it becomes miserable to think about getting out of bed. ;-)
    Is that not a well known US hobby a storm-shelter filled with corned beef guns guns guns, join the militia

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Is that not a well known US hobby a storm-shelter filled with corned beef guns guns guns, join the militia
    ah yes. Canned goods, guns, ammunition, a generator, fuel, SB players, and 250,000 tracks. Ready for the end times.... First song in playlist, "The End" (The Doors). ;-)
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post

p.s. my little box I bought to be able to stream NETFLIX movies to my TV will also be worthless if NETFLIX goes out of business.
    What "little box" is this? A ROKU? NETFLIX could die today and I wouldn't care. Plenty of other options for streaming content. Plus the USB port. We download everything we want to watch and throw it on a thumb drive. No cable or satellite bills for us!