Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I haven't read Peter's stuff for many years and it was interesting to note that in the 20 years since he wrote that article, we are still debating the very same issues and there is still no lack of snake oil being offered. In fact the arguments have been going on much longer than that and one would think that the subjectivist camp would have at least been able to offer some form of credible response during all this time.
    For those who haven't read the article, it's worth it just to see the cartoon on page 49.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Excellent stuff... Thanks for posting this.
    You're welcome!

Aczel is quite a character, and I find his "Credibility Snatchers" article quite funny. It's really one of my favorite articles in any audio mag, partly because I've encountered, in online forums, a few of the people he mentioned and found them exactly as he says they are. Early versions of his mag were apparently in the subjectivist camp, but I don't know what caused him to change positions.

Unfortunately, according to several former subscribers, he was involved in a questionable ethical affair regarding the review of a now-defunct speaker called the Fourier Speaker. Apparently he gave it rave reviews, but did not disclose that he had financial interest in the company that made them. I'm not sure if it was as a partner or if he was acting in some other capacity.

So if you mention his name on subjectivist-oriented forums, this issue inevitably comes up, which is really unfortunate. If the claims of what he did are true -- and I have no reason to doubt them -- I have to agree that it was an unethical thing to do. But people in the subjectivist forums use this as a combination ad hominem and red herring, avoiding much of any substantive discussion of his actual views.

I find his views to be a bit extreme on the objectivist side, but I also find that aspect of his writing to be a refreshing counterpoint to the subjectivist baloney of the mainstream audio press.

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    I haven't read Peter's stuff for many years and it was interesting to note that in the 20 years since he wrote that article, we are still debating the very same issues and there is still no lack of snake oil being offered. In fact the arguments have been going on much longer than that and one would think that the subjectivist camp would have at least been able to offer some form of credible response during all this time.
    For those who haven't read the article, it's worth it just to see the cartoon on page 49.
    I agree but it's not that the audiophile community is still debating the same issues but rather with the introduction of and acceptance of computer based digital audio the high end cable market has only gotten much, much worse. As I pointed out in one of my prior posts in thread (post #9) the great cable scam (I refuse to call it a debate since there is no debate when one side is dead wrong) has now moved into the area of cables used for digital data transmission.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't part of the idea behind using digital rather than analog as a recording and storage medium is that digital "solves" many of the problems inherent in analog. Problems like generational losses when copying, the negative of cables and a whole list of other things. Now we have almost all of the major high end manufacturers and their enablers in the high end press trying to impose the problems of analog audio systems onto digital audio systems. I for one am not buying it.

A digital copy is an exact copy of the original if the checksums are equal. Any cable used to transmit digital data which meets the minimum specifications for that type of cable, whether it is an ethernet cable, HDMI cable, fiber optic cable, coax cable or USB cable, will transmit the data exactly the same as any other cable, regardless of price and material. There is simply no room for debate just has there is no for debate in the statement 2+2=4.

Frankly I'm sick and tired of having to repeat and defend these simple truths. so now it's back to the music. At the moment I'm listening to the new 4 disc set called "Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan Honoring 50 Years of Amnesty International" which features 73 tracks by different artists all covering Bob Dylan songs. Fantastic!
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm