Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PietB View Post
    No high speed usb hub, tried hires 96000 hz now and is playing fine, no hickups
    Only resetted the touch and rDac before playing.
    playing another song and switching to 16 bit 44, hickups
    Switching back to 24/96 agan playing fine, also 24/88
    Info menu for the dac shows the correct frequencies
    So the key issue for async is that the momentary frequency should change based on the feedback from the dac. Sometimes it will be too high then too low, but I would expect it to update about once per second when working correctly. This probably does need an external high speed hub though as the touch has some hardware limitations - can you try to use one and see?

Thanks Triode for quick response
    I don't have a high speed usb hub, but will try tomorrow for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    So the key issue for async is that the momentary frequency should change based on the feedback from the dac. Sometimes it will be too high then too low, but I would expect it to update about once per second when working correctly. This probably does need an external high speed hub though as the touch has some hardware limitations - can you try to use one and see?
    I observe the frequency alternating between 96005 and 96006 Hz or between 192010 and 192011 Hz respectively about every second, sometimes even two or three seconds. Is this as it is supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by MWelschenbach View Post
    I observe the frequency alternating between 96005 and 96006 Hz or between 192010 and 192011 Hz respectively about every second, sometimes even two or three seconds. Is this as it is supposed to be?
    Yes it should alter as it's a feedback mechanism - this is what "async" usb is all about. The dac tells the transport how fast to go and the transport changes its rate as told. The critical thing is that the crystals in dac and player will be at slightly different frequencies. There is a buffer in the dac, so all that is required is that the dac tells the transport to slow down or speed up to keep the buffer half full - this is what is happening with the different rates you see. The fact it is changing means it is working in async mode.

It's interesting how different dac manufacturers have implemented these changes differently - my audiolab for instance alters the frequency by 100Hz or more between the go faster and go slower message. Your dac appears do adjust on a more fine grain manner. However the bit that matters is that it is updating.

rDac Success!

Quote Originally Posted by Triode View Post
    The new kernel includes:
    - possible work around for the rDAC issue (based on my option 2, it ignores the parameter from the dac and uses a smaller parameter - the question is whether the dac likes this..?)
    Quote Originally Posted by PietB View Post
    No high speed usb hub, tried hires 96000 hz now and is playing fine, no hickups
    Only resetted the touch and rDac before playing.
    playing another song and switching to 16 bit 44, hickups
    Switching back to 24/96 agan playing fine, also 24/88
    Info menu for the dac shows the correct frequencies
    Just updated to the latest applet and kernel.

I can confirm PietB's report that on 16bit 44.1k I get constant hickups.
    I also note that when I'm in the USB Audio Output menu on the "DAC info" page then after around 20 seconds the audio stops and I have to reset everything.

I've just had a rummage through my cupboards and found a USB2 hub and so far 44.1k is playing without any issues!
    Also I no longer get the problem when I'm in the "DAC info" page.

On the "DAC info" page I don't see the Momentary freq changing (it is just at 44104Hz all the time) but if I ssh into the touch and "cat /proc/asound/DAC/stream0" repeatedly then I very occasionally see it flick to 44100 so I'm pretty sure that async is working!
    Wow that is great work Triode!

I've not got much of a chance to play more this evening but I should get the chance to put it through it's paces tomorrow on some different bitrate tracks.

I got a Nad M51 2.0 usb which needs to install the 2.0 USB drivers on windows but not on iOS because supposely already has them. So any chance it will work with the touch ?
    Also so far only up to 96 is working right ?
    Last edited by CardioFitness; 2012-03-21 at 16:17.

Quote Originally Posted by CardioFitness View Post
    I got a Nad M51 2.0 usb which needs to install the 2.0 USB drivers on windows but not on iOS because supposely already has them. So any chance it will work with the touch ?
    Also so far only up to 96 is working right ?
    If it works with linux and osx uac 2.0 then there is a good chance it should work with kernels 3 onwards on SB Touch. Windows does not include uac 2 drivers, but as long as the dac works with the native driver for linux then there is a good chance it will work.... (can't promise though)

Found interesting bug after trying a 32kHz stream

I've had an AudioEngine D1 plugged into a USB2.0 hub and thence into the Touch, and it has been working very well for 44.1kHz ripped CDs and 24/96kHz FLAC downloads. Today I tried to play a low quality stream from a local radio station and got a "Pinky and Perky" impression. Nevertheless, the USB Audio info page reported 32kHz audio rate, which I think is correct. I have exactly the same issue with Klaus' TouchToolbox on the same stream.

Oddly enough, when I go back to play a CD rip at 16/44.1kHz the DAC is no longer in asynchronous mode, and is stuck at at sample frequency slightly higher than 44.1kHz (i.e. 44,250Hz), with the expected audio clicks. Pressing reset on the SBT recovers the situation.

This is 100% repeatable: playing the 32kHz internet radio station breaks asynchronous USB until reset is pressed.

32kHz is not a big deal for me normally, but it would be interesting to know if this is a peculiarity of the DAC I'm using or is also true for other DACs.
    ----------------------
    "Dreamer, easy in the chair that really fits you..."

I tried the latest applet and kernel, I could not get 192 on the internal DAC to work. I currently don't have anything that can read 192 S/PDIF so I couldn't try that either.

With the internal DAC I get a LOUD pop, then silence. The player thinks its playing but nothing comes out. LMS must have gotten the message that it's capable of 192 because there is no sox running on the server machine.

I also tried the EMU 0404 again, it works great at 44.1 but not at any other sample rate. Anything else gives highly distorted sound. The info screen shows that the endpoint is asynchronous and I can see the rate changing, but something is not right.

The 0404 is very different in what it displays in the info window, it has a separate chunk of data for each sample rate. It seems to choose the right one for the sample rate in use (its the only one shown as running) but I wonder if that has something to do with what is happening.

Thanks again for working on this.

John S.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    I tried the latest applet and kernel, I could not get 192 on the internal DAC to work. I currently don't have anything that can read 192 S/PDIF so I couldn't try that either.
    Can I check - you need to use flac with client side flac decode as squeezeplay does not support 192k for pcm playback. Are you doing server side flac decode? Also this is with hw:CARD=fab4 as the output device?

I also tried the EMU 0404 again, it works great at 44.1 but not at any other sample rate. Anything else gives highly distorted sound. The info screen shows that the endpoint is asynchronous and I can see the rate changing, but something is not right.

The 0404 is very different in what it displays in the info window, it has a separate chunk of data for each sample rate. It seems to choose the right one for the sample rate in use (its the only one shown as running) but I wonder if that has something to do with what is happening.
    There's special code in the kernel for 0404 - if you try kernel 4 it will add a dmesg to say it is used or not. Did you manage to try that?