Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I have two wishes

A Touch with enough computing power to run full LMS at full speed. And an ability to search by typing in a name and having it go to that name, or better yet have it have autocomplete as you type it in. This is for those of us with large libraries who operate our system from a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    I can assure you that Logitech is supporting Squeezebox more than ever, and we are working on several things behind the scenes. For example, we have some large projects in the works to scale up MySB that will not be visible to users (unless we screw it up
    Thanks for chiming in Andy. That's great news

Just because Logitech pulled the pin on Android TV based players doesn't mean Logitech is not seeking a DLNA/UPnP based all purpose media player(eg video/audio/picture) from themselves or someone else.

I think before long you will see the replacement for the Revue that will be making use of LMS.

I can assure you that Logitech is supporting Squeezebox more than ever, and we are working on several things behind the scenes. For example, we have some large projects in the works to scale up MySB that will not be visible to users (unless we screw it up
    Yes!!! Excellent news!

Great , excellent

Scale up as in functionality previusly not seen in lms ?

Return of old functionality , missing menus and custumisation options that dissapeared with " one browser " ?

The bugs what about them ?

I'll gues I have to stay curius for a while, very curius

I have some design wishes.

Make the scanning better in about a 100 different ways.

It's must be so good that end users do not notice other than the time spent at the initial scan, this should be the only full scan ever needed. Adding incrementally over the years should give you the exact identical dB as scanning the whole lot agian with the exceptions of the added dates .

Do not force rescans with updates build software that migrates old dB to new dB .

Store all information it's a dB rigth, do not rescan because some setting change for the UI on how to include or present artist or anything like that. It's for the aplication itself to fix this not the dB.

Do not crash the scanner, note " flawed " files in the scanner logs in human readable form with a fault description that makes sense to end users to ( of course keep the current info on where in the code it went wrong ) .
    After not crashing it goes on building a dB with files it can read, so the user always end up with a usable system .

Do not interupt music playback when scanning ! Ever .

Make it yet again possible to BMF while scanning.

db should be avaible gradually so that you could start using lms while the dB is still being built.

Upgrades ? Keep mysqueezebox.com backwards compatible at least 2 major realeses . Users that do not upgrade can ofcourse not use new services or functionality or bugfixes.

Scanning and upgrades is many users main complains about the software, they are afraid of upgrades because they anticipate scanning problems to ? And the smattering of new bugs with each version.

If you got in favor again with more resources get your quality controll up and running again
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2012-01-27 at 22:54.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Make the scanning better in about a 100 different ways.

It's must be so good that end users do not notice other than the time spent at the initial scan, this should be the only full scan ever needed. Adding incrementally over the years should give you the exact identical dB as scanning the whole lot agian with the exceptions of the added dates .

Do not force rescans with updates build software that migrates old dB to new dB .

Store all information it's a dB rigth, do not rescan because some setting change for the UI on how to include or present artist or anything like that. It's for the aplication itself to fix this not the dB.

Do not crash the scanner, note " flawed " files in the scanner logs in human readable form with a fault description that makes sense to end users to ( of course keep the current info on where in the code it went wrong ) .
    After not crashing it goes on building a dB with files it can read, so the user always end up with a usable system .

Do not interupt music playback when scanning ! Ever .

Make it yet again possible to BMF while scanning.

db should be avaible gradually so that you could start using lms while the dB is still being built.

Upgrades ? Keep mysqueezebox.com backwards compatible at least 2 major realeses . Users that do not upgrade can ofcourse not use new services or functionality or bugfixes.

Scanning and upgrades is many users main complains about the software, they are afraid of upgrades because they anticipate scanning problems to ? And the smattering of new bugs with each version.
    While I agree on the quality assurance part I don't agree on that we need more technical improvements.

In my system, scanning is like less than 1% of the total usage time and more than 99% is spend on listening to the music. I'd like improvements related to those 99% instead of putting all focus on something the system do less than 1% of the time.

Also, in my setup, when I get a new CD I spend at least 10 minutes of ripping and tagging, often more if the CD isn't already available with metadata on Musicbrainz, after this I spend a few minutes maximum to scan it into the library. It would help me a lot more if I got improvements of the ripping/tagging part instead of the scanning part as the ripping and tagging usually takes more time.

Of course, many people today doesn't purchase CD's they get their music as an electronic download or through a streaming service. In the case of streaming service, which is probably quite common, scanning isn't even involved at all. In the case of electronic download I'm fairly sure you rarely get scanning problems because those files aren't corrupt or encoded in incompatible ways.

So my wish would be to focus on the stuff that matters, basically, focus on stuff which is relevant when you listen to music instead of focus on something that takes up 1% of the total usage time.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    While I agree on the quality assurance part I don't agree on that we need more technical improvements.

In my system, scanning is like less than 1% of the total usage time and more than 99% is spend on listening to the music. I'd like improvements related to those 99% instead of putting all focus on something the system do less than 1% of the time.

Also, in my setup, when I get a new CD I spend at least 10 minutes of ripping and tagging, often more if the CD isn't already available with metadata on Musicbrainz, after this I spend a few minutes maximum to scan it into the library. It would help me a lot more if I got improvements of the ripping/tagging part instead of the scanning part as the ripping and tagging usually takes more time.

Of course, many people today doesn't purchase CD's they get their music as an electronic download or through a streaming service. In the case of streaming service, which is probably quite common, scanning isn't even involved at all. In the case of electronic download I'm fairly sure you rarely get scanning problems because those files aren't corrupt or encoded in incompatible ways.

So my wish would be to focus on the stuff that matters, basically, focus on stuff which is relevant when you listen to music instead of focus on something that takes up 1% of the total usage time.
    Yes if the 1% worked wo trouble for everyone I'm with you, make it " thar scanner shall not crash, or produce corrupt dB " and then move on the 1% becomes a concern when it does not work.

Given the resources they should have ( but does not ) my humble sugestion falls within " maintanience" .

Re corrupt files my recent comercial dl had corrupt modification dates ranging from unknown to 1970 to 2031 etc ( I fixed tags but did not consider checking the dates on the files ).
    I happlesly scanned those and the system was not itself anymore no other rescan worked after that of any other new music with perfectly fine
    files, it crashed on every rescan after that ?
    A clear and rescan ofcourse fixed it there is a reason why many users actually shedule complete rescans all the time, because the changed scan does not cut it, for example cover art files.
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2012-01-28 at 00:14.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Thumbs up

Hope you have hardware projects too... Boom II, Touch II ...

Btw. have 150+GB FLAC on USB attached to TOUCH and never had problems with LMS... streaming to Radio and even squeezeplay 5000km away from the Touch ;-).

Watcher of the Windows build
    Glad to hear that there is something going on behind the scenes. As I said, I'd like to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bits
    I think before long you will see the replacement for the Revue that will be making use of LMS.
    I doubt that we'll see a new Revue. Logitech is getting out of that business (category)... Here is an excerpt of what Logitech recently told investors:
    "A major factor in the 8 percent decline in the Americas sales compared to the prior year was Logitech Revue for GoogleTV. We began shipments of Logitech Revue in Q3 of the prior year and delivered sales of $22M that quarter. Sales of Logitech Revue this year were down by $15M due to the combination of a significant price reduction in Q2 of this fiscal year and our previously announced intention to exit the category. We are now sold out of all new Logitech Revue units."

MrSinatra
    it seems to me that they need a new, cheaper piece of hardware, that has no display, that will do audio and video.

sound familiar? i said it years and years ago. apparently apple was eavesdropping.

given that server does video now, and dlna, the above just seems so obvious to me. if apple can sell a tiny box for $99 that does 720p, surely logitech can figure out how to do 1080p for a few dollars more?

THATS how they need to compete and become relevant. if "syncing" is all they got, they're done.