Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Flowerday
    • Mar 2008

LMS moving forward?

I see little movement on the development front? What's up?
    Squeezelite->SOTM USB->Devialet 200->Focal 1028BE speakers
  • Jeff Flowerday
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Ikabob
    I am just curious but, does it not get to a point in development where no more enhancements are necessary or even desired and perhaps it could even have a negative effect on the overall functionality of the product? What other developmental advancements could there be? I, personally, am very satisfied with LMS as it is today. I'm using the latest nightly beta. ( just asking)

What I would like to see is more hardware.... Boom ll.
    It's great it's perfect for you, it isn't for me. I have a large library and I have audio cutting out on scanning for new music. Random crashing for no known reason, no event log erros or LMS log errors. The art from certain internet stations don't show properly in the web interface etc etc.

Bug fixes never have negative effect on functionality. Well unless they cause more bugs...
    Last edited by Jeff Flowerday; 2012-01-27, 15:35.
    Squeezelite->SOTM USB->Devialet 200->Focal 1028BE speakers

Comment

• tamanaco
      Watcher of the Windows build
      • Mar 2006

Given recent events I'm a little concerned about the continued support for LMS and Squeezeboxes. The Logitech CEO has been quoted saying that the Revue was a mistake and by the looks of it there will be no next generation Revue (Google TV hardware from Logitech). The SBS was renamed LMS to reflect added DLNA support for the Revue. The Revue has/had a lot more visibility than the Squeezeboxes ever had and this, I thought, would keep the LMS server development going. Unless I see a next generation Squeezebox in the next couple months, I don't see a compelling "business" reason for Logitech to continue to invest resources to keep this product line supported. I don't see folks running to the corner store to buy Squeezeboxes or hear much buzz about this product line. I'm sad saying this and I hope to be proven wrong, but I just don't see how Logitech can continue to support the LMS server software without a next generation hardware product that depends on it.
      Last edited by tamanaco; 2012-01-27, 16:29.

Comment

• Ikabob
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Jeff Flowerday
        It's great it's perfect for you, it isn't for me. I have a large library and I have audio cutting out on scanning for new music. Random crashing for no known reason, no event log erros or LMS log errors. The art from certain internet stations don't show properly in the web interface etc etc.

Bug fixes never have negative effect on functionality. Well unless they cause more bugs...
        Thank you for enlightening me. And, like Tamanaco, I would like to see Logitech commit to the next generation Boom.
        Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
        Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
        Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
        Ipeng remote controller.

Comment

• gharris999
          • Apr 2005

While there has been a grand total of just 1 non-cosmetic change to LMS in the past month, it looks like there is more activity on the SqueezeOS/SqueezePlay development front. See:

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It makes one curious as to just what a MP2 or baby-MP2 might be, or what sort of sbradio hardware sports a rev. 7 board.

Comment

• Mnyb
            • Feb 2006

Also M Herger said he was on vacation ?

Have they killed off svn.slimdevices.com it seems to be down you used to be able to follow dev there ?

gharris link was interesting sugesting all kinds of addition you never see logged svn.slimdevices hmm
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
            Bedroom/Office: Boom
            Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
            Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
            iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
            (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
            server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• SBGK
              • Dec 2011

I had a look on various sites last night and also there is no stock near me only 3rd party supplier on Amazon.

The rumours seem to be that Logitech are closing down the music streaming division as the competition from the likes of Apple i players and android devices point the way to the future and the development of LMS is down to a skeleton staff. Pure rumour and speculation gleaned from other sites.

Interesting that stock is very low and there were heavy discounts on Amazon recently also the future roadmap for LMS seems to stop at verion 8 dateline sometime 2012.

I certainly couldn't recommend the Touch to someone unless they were above average computer competent. My sister was looking for a similar device and went for a Roberts streaming radio for the kitchen, can connect to itunes and their music library, easy to set up, play podcasts etc.
              Touch optimisations http://touchsgotrythm.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• andyg
                Former Squeezebox Guy
                • Jan 2006

I can assure you that Logitech is supporting Squeezebox more than ever, and we are working on several things behind the scenes. For example, we have some large projects in the works to scale up MySB that will not be visible to users (unless we screw it up

Comment

• Michael Herger
                  Babelfish's Best Boy
                  • Apr 2005

LMS moving forward?

> Have they killed off svn.slimdevices.com it seems to be down you used
                  > to be able to follow dev there ?

It's being migrated to a new datacenter.

--

Michael
                  Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                  (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• virgiliomi
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by andyg
                    I can assure you that Logitech is supporting Squeezebox more than ever, and we are working on several things behind the scenes. For example, we have some large projects in the works to scale up MySB that will not be visible to users (unless we screw it up )
                    It's good to hear this, Andy. With the killing off of the Revue, the advent of Logitech AirPlay devices, and whatnot, the future was starting to look a little dim over in the Squeeze device neighborhood, with no known new products on the horizon. Glad to hear that Logitech still sees value in these devices and/or the server software, and hope that there is continued effort to release great new devices and software updates in the future!
                    Squeezebox devices: Boom, Duet, and Radio
                    DLNA devices: Sony Bravia TV, WMP11 on Win7
                    LMS 7.7.2 running on a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus

Comment

• regalma1
                      • Jul 2006

I have two wishes

A Touch with enough computing power to run full LMS at full speed. And an ability to search by typing in a name and having it go to that name, or better yet have it have autocomplete as you type it in. This is for those of us with large libraries who operate our system from a computer.

Comment

• dasmueller
                        • May 2010

I can assure you that Logitech is supporting Squeezebox more than ever, and we are working on several things behind the scenes. For example, we have some large projects in the works to scale up MySB that will not be visible to users (unless we screw it up
                        Thanks for chiming in Andy. That's great news

Comment

• bits
                          • Sep 2007

Just because Logitech pulled the pin on Android TV based players doesn't mean Logitech is not seeking a DLNA/UPnP based all purpose media player(eg video/audio/picture) from themselves or someone else.

I think before long you will see the replacement for the Revue that will be making use of LMS.

Comment

• eganders
                            • Feb 2009

Yes!!! Excellent news!

Comment

• Mnyb
                              • Feb 2006

Great , excellent

Scale up as in functionality previusly not seen in lms ?

Return of old functionality , missing menus and custumisation options that dissapeared with " one browser " ?

The bugs what about them ?

I'll gues I have to stay curius for a while, very curius

I have some design wishes.

Make the scanning better in about a 100 different ways.

It's must be so good that end users do not notice other than the time spent at the initial scan, this should be the only full scan ever needed. Adding incrementally over the years should give you the exact identical dB as scanning the whole lot agian with the exceptions of the added dates .

Do not force rescans with updates build software that migrates old dB to new dB .

Store all information it's a dB rigth, do not rescan because some setting change for the UI on how to include or present artist or anything like that. It's for the aplication itself to fix this not the dB.

Do not crash the scanner, note " flawed " files in the scanner logs in human readable form with a fault description that makes sense to end users to ( of course keep the current info on where in the code it went wrong ) .
                              After not crashing it goes on building a dB with files it can read, so the user always end up with a usable system .

Do not interupt music playback when scanning ! Ever .

Make it yet again possible to BMF while scanning.

db should be avaible gradually so that you could start using lms while the dB is still being built.

Upgrades ? Keep mysqueezebox.com backwards compatible at least 2 major realeses . Users that do not upgrade can ofcourse not use new services or functionality or bugfixes.

Scanning and upgrades is many users main complains about the software, they are afraid of upgrades because they anticipate scanning problems to ? And the smattering of new bugs with each version.

If you got in favor again with more resources get your quality controll up and running again
                              Last edited by Mnyb; 2012-01-28, 05:54.
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                              Bedroom/Office: Boom
                              Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                              Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                              iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                              (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                              server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

Working...