Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Seagate GoFlex Net with SqueezePlug - Any Good?

Hi looking to change my ReadyNas Duo for a device with I can leave on 24/7 with low power consumption. Having decided on a Plug Computer running Squeezeplug what would you say is the best one to go for?

Ive been looking at GoFlex Net. Once SqueezePlug is installed, to access the hard drives on GoFlex from my pc is it a case of just finding them on the network i.e start/computer? And can I just drag and drop files over the network to the hard drives on the GoFlex either wireless and wired?

I'd like a backup so I'd have two drives with the exact same info on, I guess I'll have to manually copy to both as there is no RAID or similar?

The SqueezePlug instal looks simple but are there any known issues? I know that once installed the PogoPlug system is no longer accessible but can you still change the general settings on the GoFlex device i.e you can still access the web interface?

Thanks, Matt.
    Last edited by 05mattjax; 2012-01-07 at 04:19.

Quote Originally Posted by 05mattjax View Post
    Hi looking to change my ReadyNas Duo for a device with I can leave on 24/7 with low power consumption. Having decided on a Plug Computer running Squeezeplug what would you say is the best one to go for?
    I like it very much, but that's not a wonder, I made it!

Ive been looking at GoFlex Net. Once SqueezePlug is installed, to access the hard drives on GoFlex from my pc is it a case of just finding them on the network i.e start/computer? And can I just drag and drop files over the network to the hard drives on the GoFlex either wireless and wired?
    You can see SqueezePlug in your explorer as a Samba-Share. Drag an drop is surely possible.

I'd like a backup so I'd have two drives with the exact same info on, I guess I'll have to manually copy to both as there is no RAID or similar?
    You can do this very simple with a cron-job using rsync.

The SqueezePlug instal looks simple but are there any known issues? I know that once installed the PogoPlug system is no longer accessible but can you still change the general settings on the GoFlex device i.e you can still access the web interface?
    You will loose the Pogo-Software completely and you you can not revert this!
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    1 x Onkyo TX-8050 DLNA ready receiver
    iPeng,

My Blog: Blog
    My Downloads: Downloads

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project: Donate, thanks a lot!