Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A lot of work. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by mortslim View Post
    A lot of work. Good job.
    So is the idea of finding an easy to use method of getting podcasts now dead? I have IPeng but can't see how to use this to get podcasts down. I find the Podcast app itself impossible to use (you have to type in the individual url of each podcast - where are these held?). All this, together with separate problems I have had with finding a stable version of LMS which enables me to access my music and apps on a regular basis, has made me conclude that Logitech products are going down a blind alley and wishing I'd bought something different like Sonos. Am I alone in this?

Quote Originally Posted by shogger View Post
    So is the idea of finding an easy to use method of getting podcasts now dead? I have IPeng but can't see how to use this to get podcasts down. I find the Podcast app itself impossible to use (you have to type in the individual url of each podcast - where are these held?). All this, together with separate problems I have had with finding a stable version of LMS which enables me to access my music and apps on a regular basis, has made me conclude that Logitech products are going down a blind alley and wishing I'd bought something different like Sonos. Am I alone in this?
    with the current podcast app, I only have to enter the URL of the RSS stream for the podcast (which I find on the podcast provider's website), and thereafter some number of the recent podcasts always show up (how many recent podcasts seems to vary with the podcast). But once entered, the future 'recent' podcasts are all automatically there without me entering any URLs. I do agree that this is not as easy as the mediafly podcast service.

p.s. regarding problems with LMS, you should start a new thread with details about your problem. LMS 7.7.2 is quite stable. I have 3 different locations and lots of players, and they have been essentially trouble free, used daily for several years. So it is likely that there may be a setting or a network issue, etc. that can be solved to fix your LMS issues. In the other thread, provide details about your setup and your exact problems. And SONOS *might* be more stable for you or might not. Go read their forums for a while and you'll see largely the same types of problems discussed there as discussed here.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    with the current podcast app, I only have to enter the URL of the RSS stream for the podcast (which I find on the podcast provider's website), and thereafter some number of the recent podcasts always show up (how many recent podcasts seems to vary with the podcast). But once entered, the future 'recent' podcasts are all automatically there without me entering any URLs. I do agree that this is not as easy as the mediafly podcast service.

p.s. regarding problems with LMS, you should start a new thread with details about your problem. LMS 7.7.2 is quite stable. I have 3 different locations and lots of players, and they have been essentially trouble free, used daily for several years. So it is likely that there may be a setting or a network issue, etc. that can be solved to fix your LMS issues. In the other thread, provide details about your setup and your exact problems. And SONOS *might* be more stable for you or might not. Go read their forums for a while and you'll see largely the same types of problems discussed there as discussed here.
    Thanks for the useful tip re RSS Gary. Not too onerous to enter once you got into the swing of it. Do the podcasts that are picked up stay on the system (and have to be manually deleted) or do they roll over as new ones are added?
    I think my frustrations about LMS seem to be mostly due to it running on a ReadyNAS Duo (with accompanying rubbish interface) and just seems to stop working from time time for no apparent reason. I'm on 7.7.1 at the moment so an upgrade to 7.7.2 might help ut the whole thing seems completely steam driven. Take the point about Sonos probably having its own problems though.

Quote Originally Posted by shogger View Post
    Thanks for the useful tip re RSS Gary. Not too onerous to enter once you got into the swing of it. Do the podcasts that are picked up stay on the system (and have to be manually deleted) or do they roll over as new ones are added?
    I think my frustrations about LMS seem to be mostly due to it running on a ReadyNAS Duo (with accompanying rubbish interface) and just seems to stop working from time time for no apparent reason. I'm on 7.7.1 at the moment so an upgrade to 7.7.2 might help ut the whole thing seems completely steam driven. Take the point about Sonos probably having its own problems though.
    Old podcasts seem to automatically go away after some time. I assume only keeps the newest X number of podcasts. Yep, I started with a readynas duo. Way underpowered to run LMS. Moved to an old laptop instead and was night and day improvement. Then on to vortexbox servers and couldn't be more pleased.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify

Podcasts don't actually get downloaded, they just get streamed. So what you see in the list is determined by the RSS feed: they are normally limited to show the latest N items.

The thing to remember about podcasts is that they are governed by the podcast owner. So how far back they go and the arrangement of them depends on the site. Most of them seem to list their episodes in revers chronological order but that is not universally true. Also, podcasters change their URLs from time to time. When that happens, you get a failure to parse message. Then you have to go thrashing around to find the new URL. Because you are dependent on the whims of the podcasters, getting things to work smoothly can be frustrating.

However, you don't have to download them to your computer before you can listen to them. They are all just waiting for you to tune in. So have patience and enjoy your shows.