Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Control SBT with Kindle Fire

C'mon now...someone has GOT to be controlling their SBT with a Kindle Fire, aren't they? Can you please share what app you settled on, and your method?

I'm not having much luck out of this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=91854; I can't get SlideMe to work on mine.

Thanks,
    CD

Well... Get slideme working first :-). You should get help there. Installing an app will be the easy part.
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - MusicArtistInfo, MusicInfoSCR, Smart Mix

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Well... Get slideme working first :-). You should get help there. Installing an app will be the easy part.
    OK; makes sense.

EDIT- not sure what happened the first time I tried to load it, but SlideMe seems to be working now. So...the only app on there is the SB Commander, from Flatterman; for $4.99?

CD
    Last edited by CDLehner; 2011-12-26 at 09:35.

Yes, SqueezeCommander is the only App on SlideMe.
    If you want to get SqueezePlayer as well you need to install the AndroidPit market as well. A downloadlink is sent when one has purchased via the AndroidPit website.

Quite cumbersome yet, but we all didn't find time yet to put our Apps into the Amazon market. I had to rework all licensing code and unfortunately didn't find time yet.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Hmm...what's "best"? Is the Commander worth $4.99...or wait for SB to get their controller on the Amazon marketplace? It can't be that far off, can it?

CD

define "best", what is important to you and what not?

Personally I prefer SqueezeCommander because its got much faster scrolling and better looks.
    If you look at the market rating at least you cannot do too much wrong at $4,99 feature wise - yet it still might not fit your taste (as probably wouldn't the Logitech App as well - who knows)
    Last edited by bluegaspode; 2011-12-26 at 15:10.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Quote Originally Posted by bluegaspode View Post
    define "best", what is important to you and what not?

Personally I prefer SqueezeCommander because its got much faster scrolling and better looks.
    If you look at the market rating at least you cannot do too much wrong at $4,99 feature wise - yet it still might not fit your taste (as probably wouldn't the Logitech App as well - who knows)
    I don't really know what distinguishes one from another? I've only ever used whatever comes free, on my wife's iPad2.

CD

I guess the simple answer is: if the paid Apps (doesn't matter if we look at SqueezeCommander, SqueezePad or iPeng) just provided the same feature set than the free one, they wouldn't still get 4 to 5 star ratings from most people. They would rather get one star ratings and be called rip offs.

As I don't know what your typical habits are, it's hard to give you a feature list, that matches your personal preferences or might convince you to spend some money.

For me already the simplest things make a huge difference: i.e. all paid Apps have a much smoother scrolling and snappier behaviour when you use the index bar in the artist or albums list.
    They also show popups when you change volume or progress which I severely need to get instantly setup my daytime and evening volume levels (i.e. in the kids room).

If you never had such a feature I guess you won't need it, but if you got used to it you will never want to miss it again.

Some other things not available in the free offering:

Many people use the playback feature (i.e. my wife when having a bath takes the iPad with her to listen to some music. I'm using SqueezePlayer+SqueezeCommander when vacuuming).

All paid Apps cache your library, making browsing the artist and albums menu even faster.

All paid Apps have much better means to manipulate your playlists (i.e. reorder tracks with drag and drop, much faster deletion of songs)

All paid Apps can wake your server, when it goes into hibernation.

All paid Apps have means to prevent you from wiping your playlist by a simple tap on a song (very important on parties, but also in daily life).

All paid Apps can change your alarm times.

All iPad Apps have better integration with the web-browser (i.e. looking up songs on Wikipedia and other sites)

On christmas I was happy, that SqueezePad (iPeng as well) has a screensaver mode (see my latest blogpost: http://www.squeezepad.com/2011/12/merry-christmas/)

SqueezeCommander on Android can automatically turn on your WiFi, if the phone decided to be on 3G and thus cannot connect to your server.
    SqueezeCommander can stop your music, when a call arrives.
    SqueezeCommander can download songs to your device ...

This is just a tiny list of other things that make a difference to me that you won't get with Logitechs offering. All other features are listed on the respective App store descriptions or developer websites or YouTube videos if available.

If all these little and big extras here and there make a big enough difference to you, is up to you
    You can happily live ever after also with the free Logitech App.
    Last edited by bluegaspode; 2011-12-26 at 18:41.