Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question showing 1001 albums in correct order? (TSOA field)

Hey Guys,
    Brand new to the site, hopefully this isn't to much of a newbie question.

Anyway I've got the book 1001 albums you must hear before you die. I own a few of the albums in the list and would like to be able to sort via the order they have the albums in the book.
    Reading on this forum and elsewhere I settled on the following:
    (all files MP3)
    TALB: In The Wee Small Hours
    TCON: Easy Listening
    TDRC: 1954
    TIT2: Last Night When We Were Young
    TPE1: Frank Sinatra
    TPE2: 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
    TRCK: 10/16
    TSOA: 1

I'm trying to use the TSOA field. The problem i'm facing is when ordering via album (using a squeezebox touch) it goes TSOA 1, TOSA 100, TOSA 101 etc etc. Obviously I want it to show TSOA 1, then TSOA 2.

Is using the TSOA field the correct way to achieve my aim? Any other suggestions on either how to sort in squeezebox or re-do my tags ?

Thank you very much for reading

Using the following tag versions (not sure if it matters or not):
    Tag Version: ID3v2.3.0, ID3v1.1

Quote Originally Posted by tbag View Post
    Hey Guys,

Anyway I've got the book 1001 albums you must hear before you die. I own a few of the albums in the list and would like to be able to sort via the order they have the albums in the book.
    (all files MP3)

I'm trying to use the TSOA field. The problem i'm facing is when ordering via album (using a squeezebox touch) it goes TSOA 1, TOSA 100, TOSA 101 etc etc. Obviously I want it to show TSOA 1, then TSOA 2.

Is using the TSOA field the correct way to achieve my aim? Any other suggestions on either how to sort in squeezebox or re-do my tags ?

if you want track numbers to sort in the right order with this sort of objective, you need to have the field with 0001, 0002, up to 1001 (that is, all need the same number of digits)
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I'm no expert at tagging MP3s, as most of my collection is FLAC. I get all crosseyed just looking at TPE1, TPE2, TSOA, etc. But I would think that you could get the results you want by simply adding leading zeroes in your TSOA tags. If you're going up to 1001 then you'll need to use up to three leading zeroes, such as:

Quote Originally Posted by tbag View Post
    Hey Guys,

(all files MP3)

It sounds as if you want to see the albums themselves in the order they appear in the book when searching using the My Music/Album fields. If that is the case and In The Wee Small Hours was album 26 I would name the album 0026 In The Wee Small Hours-add the position number from the book in front of the actual album title.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    if you want track numbers to sort in the right order with this sort of objective, you need to have the field with 0001, 0002, up to 1001 (that is, all need the same number of digits)
    As soon as I read your post I knew you were spot on. I did this and it worked correctly. Hopefully ppl in the future can see this and it can get them out of trouble, i was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what to do :P. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    I'm no expert at tagging MP3s, as most of my collection is FLAC. I get all crosseyed just looking at TPE1, TPE2, TSOA, etc. But I would think that you could get the results you want by simply adding leading zeroes in your TSOA tags. If you're going up to 1001 then you'll need to use up to three leading zeroes, such as:

Yep exactly what I did. Thanks for the response.

Cheers guys all sorted now much appreciated.

Perfect. Enjoy!
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify