[ANNOUNCE] Orange Squeeze 1.0 for Android Released

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaldron
    • Jul 2005

I've encountered an issue with the "download to device" function. I tried to download an album with a ":" (colon) in the album title. The artist folder was created, but not the album folder within (nor any of the tracks). No error message of any sort, just a silent fail.

Comment

• pippin
      • Oct 2007

That was quick. The new version with the headers in search really looks much better!!
      Power consumption also looks good so far.

One thing: do you always read the full artwork? You are aware that the server can resize it for you? The thumbnails don't render very well on my Nexus 7 right now.
      ---
      learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
      Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
      at penguinlovesmusic.com
      New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• db122
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by bwaldron
        I've encountered an issue with the "download to device" function. I tried to download an album with a ":" (colon) in the album title. The artist folder was created, but not the album folder within (nor any of the tracks). No error message of any sort, just a silent fail.
        Worked fine for me on my system storage -- are you downloading to a FAT32-formatted SD card? I'm guessing so.... we'll sanitize the filenames a bit more under the assumption that the destination filename was invalid on the mounted FS. Thanks!

Comment

• db122
          • Feb 2006

One thing: do you always read the full artwork? You are aware that the server can resize it for you? The thumbnails don't render very well on my Nexus 7 right now.
          For thumbnails, we use URL's like this whenever possible:

In my experience, this doesn't actually return .jpg, but either .jpg, .png, whatever, depending on what format you've got on the server. Once saved locally we render them unscaled.

Is it album artwork, radio artwork, or what? For some artwork (like remote thumbnails from MOG), we load the thumbnails from the remote server (a non-Logitech server) and scale locally. Because some of the images are *huge* coming inbound from the network, we resample first at ~double the desired resolution to avoid overflowing the device heap (pretty easy to do), then scale the resulting image to our exact requirements.

Comment

• Jaca
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by db122
            Check out the "Tasker" app (or various clones), which lets you do all sorts of fancy things, scripted on an Android device. You want to be able to send an "Intent" to an Android service with the appropriate parameters at the appropriate time.
            You are my hero!!! Installed tasker this morning.. what a great app!!! After fiddling about with it and reading help section on LMS web interface.. I'm able to turn on music (press play remotely) at certain time! It's only simple 'play' at the moment which send command to current player but it's a start. I got to spend some time to choose players and sync them plus choose favorite station before sending play command, but I can see it is certainly possible. Brilliant.. I'm generally impressed with tasker and possibilities it gives! Already have few ideas for mini apps for other purposes.. awesome.. ohh btw you wouldn't know if variables used in tasker are also compliled to .apk, or are those only variables working within tasker? (when tasker is running)
            had a case where compiled task/scene which use variables didn't not work after exporting to .apk.
            It's quite complex app and can see I will get hooked on it for a while. thank you so much for such great lead - best spend £4 Cheers!
            3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, 2x SqueezeAMP, Squeezebox Receiver, PiCorePlayer (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, SqueezePlayer Apk, Squeezelite-X, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

• pippin
              • Oct 2007

For thumbnails, we use URL's like this whenever possible:

that should be ".../cover_128x128_p". You can leave out the ".jpg", as you says, it will be ignored anyway.

But the album artwork is OK, radio and especially "App" icons really don't look good, though.

You are aware that you can use MySqueezebox.com for remote scaling? They cache the result so as long as you are consistent with the size this will get you very, very good performance. With iPeng and all it's users my impression is that at least as long as I stick to the main services/apps I almost always get a cached result, or the server is really fast.
              That's also what SqueezePlay does.

Mail me if you want to know the format. coolio att penguinlovesmusic dott com
              ---
              at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• bwaldron
                • Jul 2005

Worked fine for me on my system storage -- are you downloading to a FAT32-formatted SD card? I'm guessing so.... we'll sanitize the filenames a bit more under the assumption that the destination filename was invalid on the mounted FS. Thanks!
                Yep, FAT32 format drive.

Comment

• pippin
                  • Oct 2007

Battery drain got much better with the current preview but it's still nowhere near where it was before (I'm now at 2 days with a battery load, still much worse than my iPad while it was batter before given that I don't use the Nexus a lot).
                  This time, the problem seems to be SqueezePlayer, which I set to get automatically started when I start OrangeSqueeze. I set it to "power off", would it be possible to shut it down in that state after a few minutes until I re-open OrangeSqueeze?

Android is this mixed bag regarding background execution: on the one hand there are so many more things you can do with it compared to iOS but then you also clearly see why Apple doesn't want it.
                  ---
                  at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• bluegaspode
                    • Jul 2009

SqueezePlayer shuts down after 15min automatically when not kept alive via intents.
                    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
                    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
                    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
                    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Comment

• pippin
                      • Oct 2007

That's interesting. But my Nexus shows it as the #1 battery consumer after not using it for 24h or so.
                      This is Android 4.2
                      Actually I hadn't used it at all but set OrangeSqueeze to start it and I do use an OrangeSqueeze lock screen widget. That widget wasn't set to control SqueezePlayer, though, but my Squeezebox and OrangeSqueeze also isn't in the battery hog list anymore, at least not on the first page.

Edit: another data point: I can see that SqueezePlayer stays permanently connected to my server.
                      Last edited by pippin; 2012-12-02, 22:50.
                      ---
                      at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• maggior
                        • Dec 2006

submitted log for rhapsody problem

Hi db122 -

Just to give you a heads-up, I submitted a log captured when trying to play an album from Rhapsody. Orange Squeeze will let me navigate my library and hit play. On the screen it appears like it is starting to play, but nothing happens on the squeezebox. No errors are reported by Orange Squeeze.

Thanks in advance for looking into this. Once this works, I'll never have a reason to fire up squeezecommander :-).

Let me know if you need anything else.

Rich
                        Rich
                        ---------
                        Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
                        Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
                        http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Comment

• Iñigo
                          • Sep 2011

Hi there,

revisiting my old message #148, this is my updated improvements list:

* Now playing:
                          - show album date, f.e. "Album Title (2013)"
                          - show track number in album, f.e. "Song title (12)"
                          - show rating, f.e "***··"

* Album list:
                          - show album date, f.e. "Album Title (2013)"
                          - sort albums by date (issue #56 in trac)

Thanks,
                          Iñigo

Comment

• db122
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by pippin
                            That's interesting. But my Nexus shows it as the #1 battery consumer after not using it for 24h or so.
                            This is Android 4.2
                            Actually I hadn't used it at all but set OrangeSqueeze to start it and I do use an OrangeSqueeze lock screen widget. That widget wasn't set to control SqueezePlayer, though, but my Squeezebox and OrangeSqueeze also isn't in the battery hog list anymore, at least not on the first page.

Edit: another data point: I can see that SqueezePlayer stays permanently connected to my server.
                            It's possible that Orange Squeeze could be keeping it alive. Let me check that out.

Comment

• db122
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by maggior
                              Hi db122 -

Just to give you a heads-up, I submitted a log captured when trying to play an album from Rhapsody. Orange Squeeze will let me navigate my library and hit play. On the screen it appears like it is starting to play, but nothing happens on the squeezebox. No errors are reported by Orange Squeeze.
                              I sent you an email -- just to recap though, I got a Rhapsody trial and everything worked ok for me, so... hrm. I guess I need a bit more details from you when you have time. If anyone else has an experience to share wrt to Rhapsody and Orange Squeeze, please chime in.

Comment

• db122
                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by pippin
                                You are aware that you can use MySqueezebox.com for remote scaling? They cache the result so as long as you are consistent with the size this will get you very, very good performance. With iPeng and all it's users my impression is that at least as long as I stick to the main services/apps I almost always get a cached result, or the server is really fast.
                                I was aware that this was possible, but have avoided adding a dependency on mysb.com for this. It should probably be an option -- at least until the service is killed off.

Comment

Working...