Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Orange Squeeze 1.2.0 released

It's that time again -- I'm happy to announce the release of Orange Squeeze 1.2.0, an Android-based frontend for your favorite Squeezebox hardware. It should be available now on all of the normal marketplaces -- Google Play, AndroidPIT and SlideME.

You can get it at this url: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....orangesqueeze

This release reflects the most work since our initial release, by far. The main focus of this release is on browsing enhancements, adding support for "Jive"-style browsing and player updates. This means support for the server-side plugins that many of you love (e.g. biography and custombrowse + friends). I've got to extend a very special thanks to a dedicated team of beta testers.

Oh, and it's still only $0.99 (or a rough equivalent) and still supports Android devices 1.6 and higher.

Here's the changelog:

New features:
    - Uses new communications framework that mimics the behavior of SqueezePlay, SqueezeBox Touch and Squeezebox Radio devices.
    - Supports a wide variety of server plugins that alter the browsing characteristics of Squeezebox devices.
    - Item pinning allows the addition of certain higher-level menu items to the home menu.
    - Supports disabling artist artwork in preferences, if desired.
    - Indicator when network-driven popups are being loaded

Bug fixes:
    - Fix crash on launch if database upgrade failed or was incomplete.
    - Volume button was not visible in landscape mode in "Now Playing" on some devices.
    - Better and more graceful handling when network connection drops.
    - Fix certain crashes when loading the artist list, due to problems building the artist artwork.
    - Plenty of stability improvements; too many to list individually.
    - A failed connection attempt via "Switch Server" no longer ends the existing connection.

After playing around with this for a bit, it looks like a very nice update, and getting ever closer to being able to replace Squeeze Commander for me. Only two things I miss from Squeeze Commander: copy to device functionality, and the option to choose pause/play instead of mute/unmute on an incoming call.

Quote Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
    After playing around with this for a bit, it looks like a very nice update, and getting ever closer to being able to replace Squeeze Commander for me. Only two things I miss from Squeeze Commander: copy to device functionality, and the option to choose pause/play instead of mute/unmute on an incoming call.
    Point taken -- but I already *have* your $0.99! :-) Just kidding, the copy to device functionality is on my short list and pause/play for incoming call is a good idea that I hadn't considered.

Quote Originally Posted by db122 View Post
    Point taken -- but I already *have* your $0.99! :-) Just kidding, the copy to device functionality is on my short list and pause/play for incoming call is a good idea that I hadn't considered.
    Heh.

With this update, I believe I will be using Orange Squeeze much more -- even without those two features.

And I would have paid more than $0.99 :-)

Now that I own an Android phone, I've been able to play around with both Squeeze Commander and Orange Squeeze. Oddly, with neither SqCmdr or OrngSq have I been able to get WOL to work. I haven't figured out where OrngSq displays the server's mac address. In SqCmdr, it does correctly pick up and store the mac address, but for the life of me I can't get WOL to work. Neither iPeng nor SqueezePad have trouble with WOL, in my experience.

Also, iPeng, SqueezePad and SqCmdr support the "Extras" menu. There are at least a couple of semi-popular legacy plugins that use Extras: PowerCenter and SrvrPowerCtrl.

Another feature that I appreciate in both SqueezePad and iPeng is the press+hold on now-playing to bring up track details, including comments and lyrics.

Anyway...good work. I consider my $0.99 well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by gharris999 View Post
    Now that I own an Android phone, I've been able to play around with both Squeeze Commander and Orange Squeeze. Oddly, with neither SqCmdr or OrngSq have I been able to get WOL to work. I haven't figured out where OrngSq displays the server's mac address. In SqCmdr, it does correctly pick up and store the mac address, but for the life of me I can't get WOL to work. Neither iPeng nor SqueezePad have trouble with WOL, in my experience.
    Strange. I actually don't have a WOL setup to test, so I'm just blind-firing the packets and I've heard that it works (for some, anyway). There is currently no way to override or set the MAC address of the server -- something that should probably be remedied. My first guess would be that the detected MAC is wrong, but if it doesn't work in SqueezeCommander with the correct address then I wonder if maybe the phone is intercepting the packet -- or maybe it's being sent over the phone data instead? I'll take a gander at this.

Also, iPeng, SqueezePad and SqCmdr support the "Extras" menu. There are at least a couple of semi-popular legacy plugins that use Extras: PowerCenter and SrvrPowerCtrl.
    I'll check them out and see what it will take to support that. So many plugins -- unfortunately I don't really use most of them.

Another feature that I appreciate in both SqueezePad and iPeng is the press+hold on now-playing to bring up track details, including comments and lyrics.
    Yes, the now playing menu (and screen overall) is something I need to spend some time on. The information is there to be had from Jive/Comet but I just don't use it yet.

Orange Squeeze 1.2.1 released

We did just push an update to 1.2.1, that fixes a few bugs (crashes), one of which was only a problem with Logitech Media Server 7.5.x (or maybe lower). If you have issues please don't hesitate to report them here or directly to me at tbsandee at orangebikelabs.com. Thanks!

Strange. I actually don't have a WOL setup to test, so I'm just blind-firing the packets and I've heard that it works (for some, anyway). There is currently no way to override or set the MAC address of the server -- something that should probably be remedied. My first guess would be that the detected MAC is wrong, but if it doesn't work in SqueezeCommander with the correct address then I wonder if maybe the phone is intercepting the packet -- or maybe it's being sent over the phone data instead? I'll take a gander at this.
    I don't think it's an issue with my phone (Galaxy Nexus running android 4.0.2). I just installed the free Mafro Wake On LAN utility and it has no problem waking up the server.

I did write a windows based WOL utility a couple of years ago, if you want to look at the code: http://code.google.com/p/srvrpowerctrl/downloads/list

This update is excellent. I especially love how it plays the whole album now after selecting a track and how a long press brings up all the extra info like tags, etc... Love it!!

Easily replaces squeeze commander now.
    Last edited by Sinkdrain; 2012-04-13 at 05:01.

Just got the 1.2.2 with the pause option for incoming calls. Thanks for adding that!

Orange Squeeze has now replaced Squeeze Commander for me.