Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS update on Synology NAS

Working with a Duet, I have LMS v7.5.4 installed on a Synology DS210j.
    From Synology Download Center I only can download v7.6.1.

- When I download v7.7.0 (7.7.1 in a few days, I hope) from Mysqueezebox.com/download on my pc, how do I get the file installed on my NAS?
    - I suppose the Linux file is the one I need.
    - After downloading, there is a window telling that I have to delete the existing install first. How to do without losing my music files?
    - They also say I need the latest Perl version (now 5.8.6 is installed). How do I do that?

Thanks for help.

I managed to get it running with the help of these guys. It starts becoming interesting at post 26, but do read the first part as background if you need it. Installation went as a breeze for me. I did use the the big tarball from the 7.7.1 nightly builds (from some two weeks ago)
    My system:
    LMS 7.7.1(rc1) on Diskstation DS207+ (DSM3.1-1594) via SSODS4.9.1mod2 (by j-r)
    LMS 7.7.2-002 on Diskstation DS212+ (DSM4.0) via .spk
    1 x Logitech Radio, 1 x Touch

Sorry forgot to post the link to the thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...405#post671405
    My system:

I found it already. Thanks.
    I read it, and a lot more.
    Do you think I will manage it? I'm not a computerexpert and it's not all clear for me. Also I've no experience with Linux.

Well I had very rusty Unix experience from some 25 years back. So I found myself a command reference card to know how to to change path and create directories. I did connect with telnet to the syno, and logged in as root.
    If this sounds as abacadabra to you, you better find some external help.
    My system:

Quote Originally Posted by 32db View Post
    Working with a Duet, I have LMS v7.5.4 installed on a Synology DS210j.
    From Synology Download Center I only can download v7.6.1.

- When I download v7.7.0 (7.7.1 in a few days, I hope) from Mysqueezebox.com/download on my pc, how do I get the file installed on my NAS?
    - I suppose the Linux file is the one I need.
    - After downloading, there is a window telling that I have to delete the existing install first. How to do without losing my music files?
    - They also say I need the latest Perl version (now 5.8.6 is installed). How do I do that?

Thanks for help.
    Synology only directly support their own version of SBS/LMS downloaded from their own web site, not the one downloaded from Logitech.

They are always a bit slow with their updates, but it is would be much simpler for you if you waited for them to produce their version of LMS 7.7 rather than try and hack the system yourself. My advice would be to be patient.

Some of us less fortunates have an older NAS (in my case a DS107+) that is no longer supported by Synology and where updates stopped at 7.5.4, so think yourself lucky!

In my case I had to install a bit of add on software first called "SSODS" (Squeezebox Server on Disk Station) produced by a poster on this forum, flipflip, and then use that to install the Perl Source Code version.

In fact it is worse than that, SSODS itself does not support my ancient NAS any more so another enthusiast from this community modified it so that it would (thanks j-r). We are really lucky that there are so many very capable users of this kit - one advantage of buying something so geeky!

However, it is very disappointing that Synology stop supporting their NAS line after just 4 years.
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen) and a piCorePlayer
    Server: Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
    Network: TP-Link Archer VR200 router, TP-Link access point
    Livingroom: Receiver, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Kitchen: Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post
    Synology only directly support their own version of SBS/LMS downloaded from their own web site, not the one downloaded from Logitech.
    It is even worse! This morning I posted on the Syno site that LMS version 7.7.1 had been released. I added some references to the solution of j-r that you mention. Apparently that was no to the likings of the Synology moderators as the post has disappeared from their forum.
    My system:

Quote Originally Posted by pz1 View Post
    It is even worse! This morning I posted on the Syno site that LMS version 7.7.1 had been released. I added some references to the solution of j-r that you mention. Apparently that was no to the likings of the Synology moderators as the post has disappeared from their forum.
    Did you create a thread in the "underground" section? I suppose there it would not have been deleted...
    Current setup:
    Server:
    LMS7.8.0 nightly on Diskstation DS413 via SSODSmod 4.14
    LMS7.7.3 nightly on Diskstation DS409 via SSODSmod 4.14
    LMS7.7.3 nightly on Diskstation DS407 via SSODSmod 4.9.1
    Player:
    1 x Squeezebox Classic | 2 x Squeezebox Touch | 2 x Squeezebox Boom | 3 x Squeezebox Radio
    Controller & Player-App:
    1x HTC One ARHD | 1x HTC One X ARHD | 1x HTC HD2 NexusHD2
    1x Asus Infinity CROMI | 2x Fujitsu Stylistic M532 | 1x Asus Nexus 7 3G | 2x HP Touchpad CM10.1