Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Lame for on the fly encoding on Synology SC 7.5.3

Hi everybody

I am trying to set up my Squeezecenter (running on Synology DS111, this is the native SC package from Synology, 7.5.3 I believe) to stream music over the internet to a remote SB Radio.

I want to encode my Flac music on the fly to save bandwidth. I remember it was possible with SSODS on my old Synology but can't figure out how to do it on the DS111. I think I need to put lame.exe somewhere but where ? I can't see the Squeezecenter files when browsing my DS111 with DSM3

Any ideas ?

Many thanks for your help

Hi all,

I am in the same boat, bought DA413j and have installed Squeezebox server on it. I have a touch as well and I use only SBS to listen to music on my PC. mobile. But FLACS create a problem. How am I suppose to install LAME on DS413j. I have another NAS that has UNRAID on it and just run the tz file on command prompt their and its done. Here I have tno idea as to how to proeed. Kinldy assist

Regards
    Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by sam9s View Post
    Hi all,

I am in the same boat, bought DA413j and have installed Squeezebox server on it. I have a touch as well and I use only SBS to listen to music on my PC. mobile. But FLACS create a problem. How am I suppose to install LAME on DS413j. I have another NAS that has UNRAID on it and just run the tz file on command prompt their and its done. Here I have tno idea as to how to proeed. Kinldy assist

Regards
    Sammy
    You've got to install ipkg (bootstrap your Syn). You can look into the official synology forum, go into the modders subforum. There are a lot of how-to's, sure you will find a fitting one for you. You have just to check which one is working for your device, it depends which CPU is used.

Just remember lame needs a cpu with floating point support. If your cpu has no fpu it will probably not have the power to transcode, then you can use shine, but i think there is no shine-package so you will habe to compile it by yourself.
    Last edited by j-r; 2012-11-22 at 02:18.
    Current setup:
    Server:
    LMS7.8.0 nightly on Diskstation DS413 via SSODSmod 4.14
    LMS7.7.3 nightly on Diskstation DS409 via SSODSmod 4.14
    LMS7.7.3 nightly on Diskstation DS407 via SSODSmod 4.9.1
    Player:
    1 x Squeezebox Classic | 2 x Squeezebox Touch | 2 x Squeezebox Boom | 3 x Squeezebox Radio
    Controller & Player-App:
    1x HTC One ARHD | 1x HTC One X ARHD | 1x HTC HD2 NexusHD2
    1x Asus Infinity CROMI | 2x Fujitsu Stylistic M532 | 1x Asus Nexus 7 3G | 2x HP Touchpad CM10.1

For our friends that are a bit slow in the CPU

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...or_transcoding

An article describing this for use with low power / no fpu platforms .

Edit:

As noted in the article ,they mention thatnthe shevaplug is to slow for lame ,so a machine that uses lame must be faster than a shevaplug .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html