Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Thanks for the links. Are you deaf guys? One version is pure mono and the other one is stereo. No wonder it compresses different.
    I only wonder how it comes this song is mono on a cd.
    So how did my ripped file end up being pure mono? Is there a setting that I selected in EAC? Because I don't seem to see an option for this...

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    I would guess something wrong with the CD drive, or possibly driver software on your PC. What happens if you play the file in EAC? Do you hear both channels?
    actually when i play the cd through eac, i only hear one channel....what does this mean?

i only hear one channel through another player as well...

Are you deaf guys? One version is pure mono and the other one is stereo.

Maybe so. I only listened to them briefly on the PC where my speakers are 18" apart and behind two monitors.

Only mono setting i know of in EAC is "Wave/Sample Format" under "Compression Options", there you can falsely set 16bit 44.1kHz mono.
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Only mono setting i know of in EAC is "Wave/Sample Format" under "Compression Options", there you can falsely set 16bit 44.1kHz mono.
    so im using external compression so that isn't an option there. when i play the cd through eac or any other software for that matter, it only plays as mono too. but i ripped this cd on another computer and it came out fine in stereo...so is this a hardware or software problem with the disc drive?

I even google┤d a bit and can┤t find how to force mono system wide even on purpose. Weird!
    Is there something wrong with your drive you noticed? Is there a firmware update you could try?
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

thanks for searching for me! i've been looking too and can't seem to find anyone with this issue. i didn't notice anything wrong with my drive until now. this computer is relatively new (5 months maybe?), but i don't recall ever ripping anything until now...and when i found the flac size and compression discrepancies, that's when i realised things were wrong...

i went to device manager for the drive to see if there was an update, but it said i was up to date...

Quote Originally Posted by nelce View Post
    i went to device manager for the drive to see if there was an update, but it said i was up to date...
    Better go to the manufacturers homepage and have a look there.

well guys, i just got off the phone with sony tech support and after some troubleshooting, they have decided that the optical drive itself needs to be replaced. hopefully the new drive replacement will work better!

thanks for all of your help!

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Try AudioChecker to test files of unknown origin.
    I gave AudioChecker a try, and i also tried TauAnalyzer which is supposed to do the same thing.

To test i used a retail copy of Alison Moyet's 'The Turn' which i had copied using dbpoweramp. Each one gave different results, AudioChecker said that tracks 4 & 8 were MPEG and the rest being CDDA and TauAnalyzer gave me track 5 as being MPEG, and the rest as CDDA.This has left me rather confused.
    Just how accurate are these programs, and can you really trust the results?

Russ.
    Squeezebox: Classic/SB3, Duet,(Controller x2) Boom x3, Radio and Touch x3
    Server: Noah Blk Mini-ITX Case, Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 330 Motherboard, 2 GB 667 RAM, X2 Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB 2.5" H/D's Internal.
    Ext Backup #1: DAS 200 with X2 Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB H/D's Raided.
    Ext Backup #2: External USB Hardrive using GoodSync (Backup program).
    Ripper: dBpoweramp. (Installed on WHS & Win7)
    Running 24/7 Looks good and works well!