Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I'm sure a cost reduction on the Touch is now possible. Touch screens are now ten-a-penny and I'm sure the SoC required would now be much less.

But, DLNA is best for video and photos IMO. "Real" network music players cannot use it. Eg, synchronised playback is not possible with DLNA. If Logitech want to compete with all the cheap DLNA kit out there then, yes they can drop the Squeezeboxes. But if they want to offer a more upmarket, higher margin, somewhat cheaper, competitor to Sonos et al. Squeezebox is still the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JezA View Post
    Well, with LMS turned off my Touch has been playing for the last 10 minutes from Asset UPnP, so it seems to me that while LMS is involved in making the Touch visible as a UPnP renderer, it doesn't seem to be involved in moving the data, so the Touch must be acting as a UPnP renderer and 'asking' for data from the (Asset) server.

So, the Transporter is eol, a Revue is a third of the cost of a Touch and does video ... how long will the Touch last?
    can you synch multiple players using Asset UPnP?
    I didn't think so. And synching capability is a critical feature for folks doing whole house audio with these things (Squeezeboxes and Sonos are all I know about that do this)
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I believe the Linn DS family allow perfect synchronisation of their UPnP renderers, and work fine with Asset UPnP, so synchronising is possible over a UPnP network if you know what you are doing ...

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=11105

Linn have also got some clever features, such as allowing any audio to appear as a UPnP source, and therefore be streamable.

I believe the Linn DS family allow perfect synchronisation of their UPnP renderers, and work fine with Asset UPnP, so synchronising is possible over a UPnP network if you know what you are doing ...

Linn have also got some clever features, such as allowing any audio to appear as a UPnP source, and therefore be streamable.
    I'm a little familiar with Linn (know some users). Their software has generally been a disaster, but there are some workarounds, and perhaps it is improving.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Wouldn't exactly call Squeezecenter or LMS well made or well designed or very user-friendly software either .. but my point was the sychronizing UPnP renderers does appear to be possible.

Well, with LMS turned off my Touch has been playing for the last 10 minutes from Asset UPnP, so it seems to me that while LMS is involved in making the Touch visible as a UPnP renderer, it doesn't seem to be involved in moving the data, so the Touch must be acting as a UPnP renderer and 'asking' for data from the (Asset) server.

So, the Transporter is eol, a Revue is a third of the cost of a Touch and does video ... how long will the Touch last?
    Really ? can you build new playlist with different music, choosing other albums ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    all 20 revue owners are going to be pleased
    +1 LOL

Jim
    All wireless (Linksys WRT54GS) except NAS (ReadyNAS PRO - 3GB RAM - 5 X 1TB drives - XRAID2 - LMS 7.8.1 )
    Squeezebox Boom - Anywhere with an AC outlet
    Squeezebox (SlimDevices) SB3 - Fii0 D3 - Bose Radio - Kitchen
    Squeezebox Touch > Hafler 100 preamp > Hafler DH-220 amp > Sima SSW-L6 EX Speaker selector= Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II - Living Room, Definitive Tech ProMonitor 100 - Dining Room, Infinity US-1 - Porch
    Ipeng 7 on an iPad controls everything!

Isn't sychronization only working between Linn renderers ?

If I've understood it correctly synching is not possible via UPnP protocol but if the renderers also talk with each other using a proprietary protocol it can work, I suppose this is what Linn is doing ?

Maybe the Squeezebox UPnP renderer which is offered through LMS also support synchronization ? But only with other Squeezebox devices.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

A lot of companies use UPnP for the source and then do proprietary stuff to add things like sync.
    Raumfeld would be another one, even Sonos can do this. But it's no longer UPnP then and doesn't interoperate with other vendor's devices.

There is definitely no way to do sync with UPnP if you just use the standard.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8

I can't get the LMS UPnP/DLNA server to show up on any of my devices (Humax PVR and other PCs). I can see photos on my Touch (not sure why I'd want to, but it proves my library is configured into LMS).

The plugin is installed. Do I have to do anything else special to get the media server to show up?
    LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi running Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Wired Touch + EDO, coax to Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC. Alternatively squeezelite to a bit of home-cooked code and thence to M1 CLiC using a UPNP stream. Wireless Xubuntu 14.04 laptop controls LMS via Chromium. Meridian Explorer USB DAC to listen via Squeezelite on Vortexbox & other PCs as required. Spare Touch in loft.