Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Stylish tiny amp for Touch

I'm looking for something like the sumoh amp - small, stylish, and with auto-on.

Something which doesn't look like it would be better suited for a Soviet-era Mig 21 cockpit (if you get what I mean!).

Any suggestions?
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but your famous subtlety may be tripping me up here. Are you saying the Sumoh looks like it's from a MIG cockpit? If not, what's wrong with a Sumoh?

Then there's the other minor details that would help in answering your question, such as power amp vs integrated, power requirements, budget, things like that.

Also, while auto-sensing is a good thing in many applications, if energy draw when idle is a concern you should look at some T-class amps, many of which draw next to nothing when they are on but not playing anything. Here are a couple examples, leaving out the Sonic Impact amp, which is popular, but definitely _not_ stylish!

http://www.stereophile.com/integrate...4ta/index.html
    http://www.trendsaudio.com/index.php...mid=28&lang=en

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    I'm looking for something like the sumoh amp - small, stylish, and with auto-on.

Something which doesn't look like it would be better suited for a Soviet-era Mig 21 cockpit (if you get what I mean!).

Any suggestions?
    So, no valves then?
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

I like the sumoh look - minimalist (shame there isn't a silver version)! And on another note they only accept Paypal (and Paypal won't let me use my UK credit card because I live in Spain!!!).

The Trend looks almost the job apart from the four engineering bolt holes.

I've no idea what I actually need ... using an old Sony mini-hifi (MD373) which has an optical-in to drive Q Acoustic Q10 speakers. It all sounds good (to me) but the hifi radio and CD/minidisc are superflous.

Grateful for any other suggestions.

Valves are definitely out on aesthetic grounds!
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about this one? I wouldn't want an amp without a volume control.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Muse-M50-TPA.../dp/B005OSFWPQ

Interesting .... I'll try to find a review.

Thanks.
    SB Player - Fire TV

There's also this one from Audioengine: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-N22. I don't know anything about their amp, but their self-amplified speakers get great reviews around here for being excellent value for money.

Or if you want to go real minimalist you could forget the new amp idea, sell your speakers and buy a pair of self-powered speakers. What's more minimalist than an amp you can't see? And oh-so-stylish, too :-)

Audioengine - nice but a bit pricey, although cheaper than the sumoh.

I can't find any reviews for the Muse - bit of a stab in the dark?
    SB Player - Fire TV

Ok, if US$200 is too steep then that narrows things down a lot.

Earlier, when I dissed the Sonic Impact as not being stylish I was thinking of this model. But I had forgotten about its bigger brother, which looks like it may be closer to your taste (http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/1006sonic). It's a little cheaper than the Audioengine, but you may have a hard time finding one.

EDIT: Btw, if you can overlook the engineering bolts on that Trends Audio amp, here is a glowing review from 2007 in which it compared very well against much more expensive amps: http://www.stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm
    Last edited by aubuti; 2011-10-19 at 16:26.

Thanks for all the advice!

If you find a review for the Muse .... still my favourite.
    SB Player - Fire TV