Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michael123
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by bluegaspode
    I press the Power Button to turn the alarm off.
    Easy too find in the bottom right corner.

If you want to snooze, push the volume button. Also easy to find.

I prefer these dedicated buttons, because remembering if I need to turn the big knob or not before pressing it, is too much for my consciousness when waking up.
    Ok, I will use power instead of pause.
    Yet, turning the knob selects the menu item (and no need to hear 6 clicks!), so it is an obvious bug.
    Michael

Comment

• mpower9
      • Oct 2009

Gosh- as a user who bought the Radio as a replacement for a conventional clock radio that was on its last legs and have used it with only mysqeezebox.com as an alarm clock without much difficulty and excellent reliability for over a year, I have to say that you all seem to have made things unnecessarily complicated.

Just set one of you favorite stations as the alarm sound. If you like to awake to news or weather take a station that has news or weather at that time of day and make it a favorite or if you like music choose a music station or one of the services like Pandora, etc, and make it a favorite. Then you will wake up to the sound of your favorite.

As to turning it off. In the most recent revision of the firmware a change was made to the alarm off function. According to the developers, users had complained that in the morning fog, people were accidentally turning the big knob to off before pressing it when they though they were pressing snooze and going back to the land of nod. What they did was to change the amount of knob twirl required to change from the default "snooze" to "of". So now you do have to spin it longer before you can access "off". However, the power button works perfectly well if you need to ditch the sound in a hurry.

The radio works perfectly satisfactorily once you get used to the fact that it works somewhat differently from a conventional clock radio. It's like getting used to a new wallet or bifocals, anything that you have used daily over a long period.

Comment

• michael123
        • Feb 2009

ok, guys

Today morning I counted exactly 6 clicks before the selection line moved down to 'cancel', and then 6 clicks counter clock-wise - one line up to 'snooze'.
        Voila. I marked the bug as 'resolved'

I am looking into making SBR sound like a normal alarm clock now..
        Michael

Comment

• tcutting
          • May 2008

Yeah, the difficulty in changing via the knob is intentional. As others noted, the Power button is my method for turning off the alarm. I don't use SNOOZE, but I think the intention is pushing the Knob is normally the Snooze.

As for the weather question, I use SuperDateTime along with Erland's custom clock applet for my "when off" screensaver - I don't remember if I posted the actual screensaver I use, but if so it may be available right in the Custom Clock settings. I made the clock display large since that is my bedside clock, along with current weather lower left, and it rotates through several days of forcasts in lower right. Works great. (Does require Squeezeboxserver).

Comment

• onlyconnect
            • Aug 2008

Am I right in thinking that the alarm does not work on battery power, since the unit automatically turns off?

Tim

Comment

• Mnyb
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by onlyconnect
              Am I right in thinking that the alarm does not work on battery power, since the unit automatically turns off?

Tim
              It works it reboots itself before the alarm time is up , given that there is any power left in the battery .

But not if you turned it *really* of by holding down the powerbutton for a while .
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
              Bedroom/Office: Boom
              Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
              Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
              iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
              (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
              server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• onlyconnect
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Mnyb
                It works it reboots itself before the alarm time is up , given that there is any power left in the battery .

But not if you turned it *really* of by holding down the powerbutton for a while .
                OK, so there are 4 power states?

1. Really off
                2. Deep standby (able to restart for alarm)
                3. Standby (shows clock)
                4. On

I tried this yesterday (on UE Smart Radio) and my experiment failed, ie. an alarm was set, unit was off and it did not sound. However it might have been in state (1) I am not 100% sure.

Update: tried again today and it worked.

Tim
                Last edited by onlyconnect; 2012-09-27, 09:53.

Comment

• Mnyb
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by onlyconnect
                  OK, so there are 4 power states?

1. Really off
                  2. Deep standby (able to restart for alarm)
                  3. Standby (shows clock)
                  4. On

I tried this yesterday (on UE Smart Radio) and my experiment failed, ie. an alarm was set, unit was off and it did not sound. However it might have been in state (1) I am not 100% sure.

Update: tried again today and it worked.

Tim
                  Ok,you have an UE so it work on one of those to .

If you have the old squeezebox radio it will in fact also wake the server 5 minutes in advance of the alarm if you have a local server and uses it and your own files for wake up .
                  Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Comment

• aubuti
                    • Oct 2005

Hmm, these latest posts raise a question about the UE Smart Radio that I don't think I've seen discussed so far. There is fairly widespread agreement that the SB Radio's design to require a server connection to trigger the alarm was a bad idea. Even the old SB Radio has enough smarts to do that on its own. Does the new UE Radio do any better on this score, ie, did they learn from their mistake on the SB Radio? Given the internet-centric approach of the UE Radio I would suspect not.

And the obvious subsidiary question: if the main alarm fails, is the fallback alarm still Fa Fa Fa by Datarock?
                    Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
                    Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
                    Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
                    Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
                    Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
                    Bedroom: SB Radio
                    Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
                    LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• Mnyb
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by aubuti
                      Hmm, these latest posts raise a question about the UE Smart Radio that I don't think I've seen discussed so far. There is fairly widespread agreement that the SB Radio's design to require a server connection to trigger the alarm was a bad idea. Even the old SB Radio has enough smarts to do that on its own. Does the new UE Radio do any better on this score, ie, did they learn from their mistake on the SB Radio? Given the internet-centric approach of the UE Radio I would suspect not.

And the obvious subsidiary question: if the main alarm fails, is the fallback alarm still Fa Fa Fa by Datarock?
                      Hey have they no sense of humor , why not holiday in Cambodia with Dead Kennnedys

Comment

• aubuti
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Mnyb
                        Hey have they no sense of humor , why not holiday in Cambodia with Dead Kennnedys
                        Now that I would appreciate!

(Besides being an infinitely better song than Fa Fa Fa, Holiday in Cambodia has always had a special place in my heart since college days, when some friends went into a local pizza place that was blasting it out of their speakers, and it so happened that it was tuned in to my radio show.)
                        Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
                        Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
                        Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
                        Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
                        Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
                        Bedroom: SB Radio
                        Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
                        LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• onlyconnect
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by aubuti

Don't know about 2nd question, but you can set and delete alarms on uesmartradio.com which I suspect answers the first.

Tim

Comment

Working...