Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

SqueezePlug Media-Server 4.0 (final Release)

Hi folks,

GREAT NEWS!

Testing is now finished and I'm happy to tell you that Version 4.01 is ready for download.

The 4.0 Version was a test version and had some mayor bugs. They are now fixed in version 4.01. Everything should work now!

A few people from the forum helped in testing this 4.01 version (thanks Richman and ThomasOEM)

SqueezePlug Media-Server version 4 is a complete new release with a lot of very cool features:

- SqueezePlug becomes a plattform for different Media-Servers
    - SqueezeBox
    - MiniDLNA
    - Mediatomb
    - Twonky
    - TVMobili
    All these servers are installable und uninstallable.

- Support for wireless USB-Sticks
    - New SqueezeSlave and option to install a SqueezeSlave "Stand Alone Player"
    - New and improved special SqueezePlug kernel working on all devices
    (SheevaPlug, Dockstar and GoFlex Net)
    - Full support for SATA drives on GoFlex Net
    - A lot of bugfixes
    - New and improved Debian version
    - Enhanced scripts for SqueezePlug configuration
    - New and universal update mechanism for all devices
    - Possibility for transcoding on the server
    - and much more.

Because of the massive changes of version 4, there is no update possible. (Updates from 4.0 are also not possible)

Please visit my blog to download the new image: http:/squeezeplug.de

There will be two different Images available. One for Dockstar and Goflex and the other one for SheevaPlug.

A installer version (ESIA) for Sheevaplug is also available.

All other threads will be closed. Please post all SqueezePlug Media-Server related questions and hints to this thread.

Please keep in mind, that the arcNumber of the devices will be changed to the correct one. This means that older versions will not run anymore until you change this back to the old one.

I want to give a special thanks to Ralphy from our forum for helping create a wonderful new kernal for us and perfecting squeezeslave for the PLUG.

Have fun,
    Greetings,
    Thomas
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    1 x Onkyo TX-8050 DLNA ready receiver
    iPeng,

My Blog: Blog
    My Downloads: Downloads

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project: Donate, thanks a lot!

Thanks. And to be clear, for my sheevaplug, I use the 4.01 image and follow the current detailed instructions on your wiki (using all the steps for the nonmultiboot sheeva plug). The reason I ask is that the instructions seem (to me as a novice) the same as they were for the 3.5 version).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks Thomas!

This is GREAT image. I have been testing this 4.01 image on my dockstar for a few days now and I'm impressed. All the features I tried out worked.

Big improvement on 3.50 image. Lots of goodies in 4.01! I'm having fun with it!

Hi,

I am using the 4.0 image for 10 days now on a dockstar. works perfectly.
    Do you maybe have some kind of changelog for 4.01 vs. 4.0.

Keep up the great work!

DITC101

Hello Thomas,

Really impressive!

I got the GoFlex Net and have been watching the install videos. Could you say some more about how to enable transcoding on the server?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Thanks. And to be clear, for my sheevaplug, I use the 4.01 image and follow the current detailed instructions on your wiki (using all the steps for the nonmultiboot sheeva plug). The reason I ask is that the instructions seem (to me as a novice) the same as they were for the 3.5 version).
    Hi garym,
    yes you are right, the instructions are the same.

Greetings,
    Thomas
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    iPeng,

Quote Originally Posted by DITC101 View Post
    Hi,

I am using the 4.0 image for 10 days now on a dockstar. works perfectly.
    Do you maybe have some kind of changelog for 4.01 vs. 4.0.

Keep up the great work!

DITC101
    Hi DITC101,
    you can see an overview about the features in my first post of this thread. The changes from 4.0 to 4.01 are only bug fixes.
    - fixed a bug with the network setup
    - fixed a bug in the /etc/fstab
    - Bugfix for a boot problem if your system is on a HD
    - Bugfix for the SqueezePlug to HD option
    - add an entry to make no changes during the first boot
    - add an option to run the first_start.sh script from the Misc-Options

You can use the 4.0 if it runs for you. You maybe don't see any differences, but the update SqueezePlug option will only work on the 4.01 version! So it's a good idea to install the 4.01 version.

Greetings,
    Thomas
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    iPeng,

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgety1 View Post
    Hello Thomas,

Really impressive!

I got the GoFlex Net and have been watching the install videos. Could you say some more about how to enable transcoding on the server?

Thank you!
    Hi Gadgety1,

Trancoding will give you the option to "downsize" large fileformats like FLAC so you can play them on devices with no support of that format. You can use it with IPeng as well to change the compressing rate. If you use UMTS or something like that it's a good idea to reduce the rate e.g. 128/Mbit/sec.

Greetings,
    Thomas
    SqueezePlug & MAX2Play,
    2 x Squeezebox Duet,
    1 x Squeezebox Touch,
    iPeng,

for me, Wifi is still a bit non-working

After I had the 4.01 image up and running on my harddrive I configured Wifi. But I had to manually get the Realtek package and install it before the Wifi stick was recognized and showed up under 'ifconfig'.

Now when I boot with ethernet plugged in, I get two network connections to the Goflex Net. One via LAN, the other via Wifi. I can connect to both simultaniously using Putty. But when I boot without LAN connected, I can't get to the server at all. Also, when I'm connected via Wifi and unplug LAN, the Wifi connection dies as well.

Could it be that this is only a "fake" Wifi connection and that I'm actually going through LAN instead? I have two IP addresses that are assigned at the same time and I can connect to both of those addresses at the same time. But Wifi only works if LAN works.

Strange indeed. At least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by truehl View Post
    Hi Gadgety1,

Trancoding will give you the option to "downsize" large fileformats like FLAC so you can play them on devices with no support of that format. You can use it with IPeng as well to change the compressing rate. If you use UMTS or something like that it's a good idea to reduce the rate e.g. 128/Mbit/sec.

Greetings,
    Thomas
    Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your reply.

I see. As I had interpreted transcoding as from high resolution formats to CD-standard, I got a little bit too enthusiastic, didn't wait for your reply to my question posted on October 8, and went ahead and ordered the GoFlex Net while you were busy finishing the 4.01 version.

My challenge is this. I will have a mix of players, a Touch and a couple of Duet receivers. I had thought that the 4.0 version now would be able to transcode from 24/96 to lower resolution formats, such as 16/44.1 CD-standard. I want to be able to receive and play 24/96 files, which I will on the Touch, but I will need transcoding from that high resolution, to that lower CD-rate, for the receivers.

I've got a couple of follow up questions:

1. So, will a Squeezeplug ever be able to transcode higher resolution formats such as 24/96 flac down to 16/44 or 16/48?
    2. Would the Squeezeplug even play higher resolution formats, such as 24/96?

I also have a series of other questions, some already posted in the recently abandoned thread, relating to getting started, but I will repost them here.

Thanks!

Regards,

Gadgety
    Last edited by Gadgety1; 2011-10-14 at 13:55.