Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For guitar fans

Acoustic Guitar /fingerstyle is my thing. I love it so much. anyway..here is my list of "reference" albums for that style referenced in the OP.

John Fahey- the transfiguration of blind joe death

Bert Jansch- Bert and John, Black Swan

el mcmeen- solo guitar serenade

big horizon- david wilcox

Tommy Emmanuel/Chet Atkins- the day guitar pickers took over the world

chet atkins/les paul- chester and lester

merle travis- walkin the strings

norman blake- whiskey before breakfast

Aerial Boundries - Michael Hedges

clarence white- 33 acoustic guitar instrumentals

phil keaggy-beyond nature

Only - Tommy Emmanuel

Doc Watson- Southbound

Acoustic Highway - Craig Chaquico

the lady and the unicorn- john renbourn

adrian legg-guitars and other cathedrals

kelly joe phelps- shine eyed mr zen

venus in cancer- robbie basho

chris whitley- dirt floor
    Last edited by TheOctavist; 2012-05-11 at 23:58.
    Vortexbox>SBT(stock)>>Forssell MDAC-2>>>Klein and Hummell 0300D

Sota Sapphire/Lyra Kleos>>Bespoke Valve Phono Stage>>Mastersound Due Venti>>Link Audio K100

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    although not known as a vocalist by any stretch of the imagination, I've always quite enjoyed his singing. And I've seen him live many times, starting with early 70s and up to very recent times (2011). Also a great story teller in a live format.
    I've seen leo a dozen times and almost attend these days because it doubles up as a fantastic comedy show Seriously! He's a funny guy. I actually think I found out about this South African guitarist (Guy Buttery) through an interview with Leo. Does that sound correct?

I've just seen that Guy has released another record with another fantastic South African musician, Nibs van der Spuy. I ordered the CD (also through Bandcamp - which is fantastic BTW) which came with an instant digital download of the album as well. Sounding brilliant upon first listen.

http://nibsvanderspuyandguybuttery.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by bhakti View Post
    I've just seen that Guy has released another record with another fantastic South African musician, Nibs van der Spuy. I ordered the CD (also through Bandcamp - which is fantastic BTW) which came with an instant digital download of the album as well. Sounding brilliant upon first listen.

http://nibsvanderspuyandguybuttery.bandcamp.com
    You aware of that you can select FLAC as download format on bandcamp, then there is no need for the physical CD , and this is a good record I agree
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    You aware of that you can select FLAC as download format on bandcamp, then there is no need for the physical CD , and this is a good record I agree
    Thanks for that, but I am afraid I'm of the old school and MUCH prefer hard copy albums. Reading liner notes, digesting the artwork and taking the album out and into the player is far more real and almost cathartic That's why I also bought Mr. Buttery's vinyl LP (which sounds unbelievable by the way). I did however take the FLAC files as well and have those backup for digital use.

I see Mr. Buttery has released a new album this week. His Bandcamp site only allows to preview two tunes so far but they sound incredibly good as a hors d'oeuvre. It seems like another release worth checking out by this dude. http://guybuttery.bandcamp.com/

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1491339164 @ Wed Apr 5 04:19:41 UTC 2017
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Quote Originally Posted by SlimChances View Post
    I remember reading about Ana in a guitar magazine years ago. What a lovely player.

I received my copy of Guy Buttery's new live album in the mail and am loving it. Beautiful quality recording (and that's not just for a live CD), fantastic renditions of older tunes along with some new ones and the artwork is stunning. I am now on his mailing list and see the album is also now on iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/li...lu/id663095271

Seriously guys. You should take a listen to this!

Another great fingerstyle acoustic player is Bill Dutcher. His album "Solo Guitar" is excellent, and "Finding Time" is simply fantastic.

I just received a mail about this which I've copied below and thought I'd pass it on. Judging by the guest artists and the Soundcloud link, this LP promises to be a goody. Guy's last vinyl release was definitely one of my albums of the year back in 2012 and still one of the best sounding albums I have in my collection. I'll be ordering this one later this evening!

Pre-order the hand numbered vinyl of 2 time SAMA award winning guitar player, Guy Buttery. This limited edition LP features Vusi Mahlasela, Dan Patlansky, Will Ackerman (founder of Windham Hill Records and multiple Grammy award winner), Derek Gripper, Piers Faccini, Shane Cooper, Qadasi and Nibs van der Spuy. The album delivers a unique angle on South African musical landscapes fusing numerous traditional genres alongside ambient and groove driven psychedelia.

Buy it here - www.igg.me/at/guybuttery
    Preview a sample here - https://soundcloud.com/guybuttery/we...aus-rough-mix/