Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For guitar fans

For guitar fans

Discovered Guy Buttery last night. If you like fingerstyle guitar his albums are definitely worth looking into. They're very nicely mastered too - definitely no compression or limiting going on - end result is great music with oodles of dynamic range.
    Last edited by audiomuze; 2011-10-05 at 22:01.
    SqueezeWand | Vivere DAC MKI | ATC SCA2 | ATC SCM100ASLT

Linux finally gets a great audio tagger: puddletag - now packaged in most Linux distributions.

Smile

Bought it very nice album

Also started to explore BandCamp more a lot of independent artist in FLAC mp3 AAC and ALAC .

A lot of good music... I'm dl some other stuff now.

BandCamp must be one of the best suppliers of legal FLAC downloads there is
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Bought it very nice album

Also started to explore BandCamp more a lot of independent artist in FLAC mp3 AAC and ALAC .

A lot of good music... I'm dl some other stuff now.

BandCamp must be one of the best suppliers of legal FLAC downloads there is

thanks for the heads up guys. i ordered and have received my copy of the LP myself and have to say this is undeniably the finest sounding LP in my collection (and i have tons of audiophile 180-200gram pressings). wow! these guys did a great job. especially coming out of a south african studio. i got some number 247 (of 300) so there are obviously still some left (see http://guybuttery.bandcamp.com/). don't delay! its definitely worth owning and will more than likely be worth something one day.

Just downloaded "To Disappear in Place" in FLAC format, and it is a beautiful piece of work.
    Very highly recommended

Chris
    Chris :)

Very Nice! For those that like Guy Buttery you should check out Leo Kottke's 6 & 12 String Guitar album which is more than 40 years old now.
    2 Duets - 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs
    Rock Solid with LMS 7.8.0 and WHS 2011

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Very Nice! For those that like Guy Buttery you should check out Leo Kottke's 6 & 12 String Guitar album which is more than 40 years old now.
    Thanks for the heads up just buogth another Guy Buttery album

The Bandcamp plugin is one of the best plugins in the whole squeezebox experience imho !!

Leo kottke yea I have "great big boy", maybe I should get more , but he is still active so any specific album recomendation ?

Edit: oh the album name is really "6 & 12 String guitar" doh
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2012-05-05 at 23:23.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Thanks for the heads up just buogth another Guy Buttery album

The Bandcamp plugin is one of the best plugins in the whole squeezebox experience imho !!

Leo kottke yea I have "great big boy", maybe I should get more , but he is still active so any specific album recomendation ?

Edit: oh the album name is really "6 & 12 String guitar" doh
    One of my all time favorites. Even had it on 8-track for my car back in the day
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Feet_Are_Smiling
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Can't remember which Leo Kottke cover notes talked about why he doesn't sing... He says it sounds like "wet goose farts."

EDIT: Found a reference;
    http://www.guitarmusic.org/kottke/gfarts.html
    Last edited by w3wilkes; 2012-05-06 at 21:18.
    2 Duets - 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs
    Rock Solid with LMS 7.8.0 and WHS 2011

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Can't remember which Leo Kottke cover notes talked about why he doesn't sing... He says it sounds like "wet goose farts."
    I believe the quote is from 6 and 12 string guitar. I've always remembered it as ". . . like goose farts on a foggy day", but upon checking it is ". . . like geese farts on a muggy day". It's the air that's wet, not the farts. If you've ever heard a boat booming out it's horn on a foggy/muggy day, you know the stellar quality of moist air to render certain sounds with fine clarity.

My favorite Kottke recording has always been another early one (not as early as "6 and 12 string guitar"), "Dreams And All That Stuff", which has Mona Ray and When Shrimps Learn To Whistle, both of which have been anthologized. Also love the cover.

It wasn't too awfully long after this recording that he developed serious tendinitis as a result of his particular picking style, and had to modify his technique. Not that his subsequent playing isn't wonderful, just different.

On many of his later recordings, he does in fact sing and doesn't do too badly.

R
    Last edited by RonM; 2012-05-07 at 11:12.

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    On many of his later recordings, he does in fact sing and doesn't do too badly.

R
    although not known as a vocalist by any stretch of the imagination, I've always quite enjoyed his singing. And I've seen him live many times, starting with early 70s and up to very recent times (2011). Also a great story teller in a live format.
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: several Touch, Radio, SB3
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify