Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Question from a new Touch owner

I have been reading threads on this forum but couldn't find answers I needed. Guess I am too technically challenged.

1) I wanted to disable the auto-scanning on the Touch. Following a thread on this forum, I installed Putty (actually extraputty) on my Windows XP. I input the IP of my Touch (192.168.10.105), selected "ssh", and pressed "enter", a window came out with a green cursor at the upper left corner - I suppose if I type anything now, it will appear there. I tried typing the password and pressed "enter" but nothing happened in the window. After a few seconds, a message popped out "fatal error, access time out". If I don't type anything, the error message also pops out after a few seconds. I consulted the manual of Putty but it didn't have this situation.

2) The Touch says it is successfully connected to my home network wirelessly. But I can't find the icon in XP as "my workplace". It appeared there once - I tried to click and open it but a message popped out, saying I didn't have permission to access and needed to consult the administrator of the server. I consulted myself - the admin of the Touch but of course no good news. Windows XP on my computer didn't ask the password of the Touch or anything when I clicked the icon. Now I can't see it in "my workplaces" even after restart my computer and the Touch. Plus, I never successfully opened the Touch IP in a web browser - IE or Firefox. I just try to transfer music files wirelessly so I don't have to unplug the hard drive everyday. Unfortunately I can't make it happen without more basic computer knowledge.

3) If I disabled the Touch Server but didn't physically remove it (unplugging the USB) then the Touch would tell me something like "nothing was attached - but it couldn't connect the USB devices, try again!" when I tried to restart the Touch Server. I have to unplug the hard drive and replug it to get the Touch recognize it. Is that the case or I did anything wrong again?

On item 2, the Touch has no built-in web browser... And you can't access a Touch on a windows network directly ... That's why you need to use ssh or similar.
    I use winscp rather than putty... I find it a lot easier
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    On item 2, the Touch has no built-in web browser... And you can't access a Touch on a windows network directly ... That's why you need to use ssh or similar.
    I use winscp rather than putty... I find it a lot easier
    Thank you Phil for the quick tip. I will install winscp today and report the result. Do I need a web browser on the Touch to drag and drop files? I was thinking to open the Touch as an external drive.

Quote Originally Posted by verycd View Post
    Thank you Phil for the quick tip. I will install winscp today and report the result. Do I need a web browser on the Touch to drag and drop files? I was thinking to open the Touch as an external drive.
    You should be able to see it on the network in Windows Explorer and manage files using just Win Explorer. Like I said, it doesn't always show up on its own. Here's what mine looks like (I've named it 'Touch') when I enter \\touch in the address bar.

Once you have it visible in Windows Explorer you should be able to simply drag and drop files into the directories. It's not fast, though. If you're copying a lot of files, you may be better off attaching the drive to your desktop to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    You should be able to see it on the network in Windows Explorer and manage files using just Win Explorer. Like I said, it doesn't always show up on its own. Here's what mine looks like (I've named it 'Touch') when I enter \\touch in the address bar.

Once you have it visible in Windows Explorer you should be able to simply drag and drop files into the directories. It's not fast, though. If you're copying a lot of files, you may be better off attaching the drive to your desktop to do it.
    Thank you! JJZolx.

I don't know how to answer as your first reply (putting my answers inside a quote).

1)Yes - I enabled remote login (SSH)
    2)Yes, port 22 was selected automatically in Putty
    3)By "the prompt", did you mean the green mark as in the earliest Apple computers? (It doesn't flash in Putty though) Or "login as"? I didn't see "login as". I entered "root" first instead of the password, the same warning popup came out "network error: connection timed out"
    4)I put "\\" before the IP address or the Touch name in Windows Explorer but I was told "Windows cannot find '\\192.168.10.105'"
    5)I didn't change the default settings in sharing so the password is still 1234
    6)I am using a WD Elements 2TB desktop hard drive. It wakes up instantly even after many hours of sleeping (not playing anything on the hard drive). It is cold and no vibration on the case after it stops spinning. As long as I don't choose "stop the server" on the Touch, the hard drive will work again right away without any problem.
    7) I wanted to disable the scanning because I heard it was slow to transfer files over the network (like 200-300M big FLAC?) Unlike what was said somewhere on this forum, when the scan is going, "music folders", which I like to use, is not accessible. The tags embedded in the Touch Server work during the scan but I don't like them.

In Setting\Advanced\Diagnostics\Network Health it says "All network tests passed successfully" and the Touch can play internet radio -- so I think it is indeed connected to the network. The problem is the connection between the Touch Server and Windows. I really need to make the Windows recognize the Touch and the Putty or Winscp work. I can't remember what I did the only time when the Touch showed up as "my network place".

Is firewall a problem? I didn't get any warning though.

I don't need to start my computer as a server, do I? I did try this option, it didn't help Windows recognize the Touch.

I tried Add Network Place Wizard. If I put the Touch IP in, the warning is "Windows requires a share to publish to. Please try another location". If I put \\squeezebox touch\usb disk or \\squeezebox touch\untitled, the warning is "the folder you entered does not appear to be valid, please try another" Should I attach the hard drive to my computer and give it a name? Can I do it without formatting it again?
    Last edited by verycd; 2011-10-02 at 01:28.

3)By "the prompt", did you mean the green mark as in the earliest Apple computers? Or "login as"? I didn't see "login as".I entered "root" instead of the password, the same warning popup came out "network error: connection timed out"
    I'm talking about the words 'login as:'. This is the prompt sent by the Touch.

4)I put "\\" before the IP address or the Touch name in Windows Explorer but I was told "Windows couldn't find the address"

5)I didn't change the default settings in sharing so the password is still 1234
    Are you sure you enabled file sharing at Settings > Advanced > USB & SD Storage > Sharing?

SSH and file sharing are two different things and are enabled separately.

By enabling SSH you can connect to a console session in a terminal program like PuTTY. Logged in remotely as root you can do things like view and edit files, start and stop services, and just about anything administrative.

Enabling file sharing allows you to see the computer on the network in a program like Windows Explorer and see the 'shares' that are configured to be shared over the network.

In advanced\Diagnostics\Network Health it says "All network tests passed successfully" and the Touch can play internet radio -- so I think it is indeed connected to the network.
    Right, there's no question about that. But you have to enable the other two services before you can use either an SSH client like PuTTY or SMB (file sharing) client like Windows Explorer.

1) I wanted to disable the auto-scanning on the Touch. Following a thread on this forum, I installed Putty (actually extraputty) on my Windows XP. I input the IP of my Touch (192.168.10.105), selected "ssh", and pressed "enter", a window came out with a green cursor at the upper left corner - I suppose if I type anything now, it will appear there.
    Did you enable SSH on the Touch at Settings > Advanced > Remote Login?

Are you designating port 22?

With PuTTY, the first time I set up a new connection and attempt to connect I get a warning popup. After dismissing it (and on subsequent connections) the first thing is the prompt

login as:

If you don't see the prompt, try hitting 'Enter' first. Most likely you won't be able to login until you see the prompt. Enter 'root', not the password at the first prompt. Then you'll get the password prompt, where you enter '1234', unless you've changed it.

2) The Touch says it is successfully connected to my home network wirelessly. But I can't find the icon in XP as "my workplace". It appeared there once - I tried to click and open it but a message popped out, saying I didn't have permission to access and needed to consult the administrator of the server.
    Have you enabled sharing under Settings > Advanced > USB & SD Storage > Sharing? I would also clear the password under 'Set Sharing Password'.

It doesn't always show up in My Network Places. I don't know why, but it can be flaky. That shouldn't matter, though. You should be able to enter the IP address of the Touch in Windows Explorer

\\192.18.10.105

Or you may be able to enter the name you've given it in Settings > Squeezebox Name.

\\Henry

Be sure to use the double backslashes.

I consulted myself - the admin of the Touch but of course no good news. Windows XP on my computer didn't ask the password of the Touch or anything when I clicked the icon. Now I can't see it in "my workplaces" even after restart my computer and the Touch.
    This is why it's a good idea to clear the password. It doesn't always play nice with Windows.

Plus, I never successfully opened the Touch IP in a web browser - IE or Firefox. I just try to transfer music files wirelessly so I don't have to unplug the hard drive everyday. Unfortunately I can't make it happen without more basic computer knowledge.
    The Touch's implementation of the server doesn't include a web server, so you can forget that.

3) If I disabled the Touch Server but didn't physically remove it (unplugging the USB) then the Touch would tell me something like "nothing was attached - but it couldn't connect the USB devices, try again!" when I tried to restart the Touch Server. I have to unplug the hard drive and replug it to get the Touch recognize it. Is that the case or I did anything wrong again?
    Not all USB devices work with the Touch. For whatever reason, it may be necessary to do that with the device you're using. Some hard drives have a hard time spinning up because of their power requirement - you'll usually hear a very faint ticking sound if you place your ear next to the drive when that's the case and you can often tell by the lack of vibration that the disk isn't spinning.
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2011-10-01 at 23:31.