Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 119
  1. #21
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Post #7. ;-)

    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...57&postcount=7

    I saw him sometime between 72 & 74 in Dallas. Fantastic!
    Sorry about that. That's what happens when one posts before finishing that first cup of coffee in the morning.

    I also saw Van in NYC during the same tour that "It's Too Late..." was recorded. Great show and fantastic band. I guess that we're giving away our age since that tour was 38 years ago.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,741
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Sorry about that. That's what happens when one posts before finishing that first cup of coffee in the morning.

    I also saw Van in NYC during the same tour that "It's Too Late..." was recorded. Great show and fantastic band. I guess that we're giving away our age since that tour was 38 years ago.
    Given most of the choices on this thread, we're all old guys! Ah, but it seems like yesterday....

  3. #23
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Given most of the choices on this thread, we're all old guys! Ah, but it seems like yesterday....
    True.

    Here's one of more recent vintage:

    David S. Ware Quartets - Live in the World (recorded 1998 through 2003)

    The 25 minute "Elder's Path" is absolutely mind blowing with a great piano solo by Matthew Shipp.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

  4. #24
    Member Percival Sweetwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    63
    Frank Zappa - Does Humor Belong in Music? - the video/DVD version.

    Brings back memories of good times. Fantastic musicians and some brilliant guitar solos from the great man. Was very fortunate to see Zappa at Wembley Arena before he passed away.
    Still got the original video on Betamax.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    850
    Don't know if this really counts here, but I had this flash of Big Brother and the Holding Company's - Cheap Thrills album. More than half of the original album is live. Just happened to see them on their summer tour in 1968 on my birthday. I think they performed about everything on this album along with a few cuts from their first album. The opening band for this concert was Blue Cheer. Yup, Utah did get some pretty good bands back in the 60's. The only huge band I can think of that we never got here was the Beatles.
    2 Duets - 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs
    Rock Solid with LMS 7.8.0 and WHS 2011

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,177
    I'm not familiar with the Van Morrison live recording mentioned earlier, but "A Night in San Fransisco" is top notch, showcasing a large ensemble, including vibes, and several guest stars. Joe Cocker's "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" is also good, with Leon Russell leading the band.
    Regards,
    Jim

  7. #27
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,021
    Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Don't know if this really counts here, but I had this flash of Big Brother and the Holding Company's - Cheap Thrills album. More than half of the original album is live. Just happened to see them on their summer tour in 1968 on my birthday. I think they performed about everything on this album along with a few cuts from their first album. The opening band for this concert was Blue Cheer. Yup, Utah did get some pretty good bands back in the 60's. The only huge band I can think of that we never got here was the Beatles.
    Sorry to disappoint you but NONE of "Cheap Thrills" was recorded live. The entire album was recorded in the studio and the audience sounds were overdubbed for effect.

    In 1968 I was just a wee bit young to be going to concerts but I did start attending concerts not too long after that and even caught a few shows at the old Fillmore East before the doors closed in 1971, including the aforementioned "Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore East".
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11,042
    Johhny Cash - At Folsom Prison



    Johnny Cash - At San Quentin


  9. #29
    Senior Member bakker_be's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kwaadmechelen, Belgium
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Van Morrison live recording mentioned earlier, but "A Night in San Fransisco" is top notch, showcasing a large ensemble, including vibes, and several guest stars. Joe Cocker's "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" is also good, with Leon Russell leading the band.
    +1 for Van in San Francisco, Johny Cash at Folsom is very good too, but my favourite must be Whitesnake: Live in the heart of the city. "Here's a song for ya!"
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; TMA Premium 905; TMA Premium 901; BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Wandboard Duallite + CSOS, integrated LMS activated

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Buckinghamshire, England
    Posts
    9,983
    (in addition to all the great picks so far...)

    UFO - strangers in the night
    AC/DC - if you want blood...
    Danny Gatton \ Robert Gordon - The Humbler
    J. Geils Band - Live Full House
    Nine Below Zero - Live At The Marquee
    Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74
    Zoot Money - Live at Klooks Kleek
    Georgie Fame - R&B At The Flamingo
    Hendrix - Winterland
    Wishbone Ash - Live Dates
    Elvis - 68 TV Special
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •