Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JonWill View Post
    I can't help you with the issues using TinySC as I've never tried, but by all accolunts running SBS on a sparate devices is *(a) mmore reliable and (b) gives you access to greater functionality and more plug ins ...

Just a quick pointer you do not connect your SBS device directly to the Touch via Ethernet - you need to attach both to the network via a routers/ switches. Wired connections are more reilable than wireless (although I have had no issues with my three wireless SBs).

Hope this helps,

Jon
    "you do not connect your SBS device directly to the Touch" My worst fear now has a confirmation... Hopefully, someone would come up with a workaround? Cheers!

I misunderstood what you've written.

Can you confirm that the files play okay using the Win 7 server? If so, then you're correct in assuming it's a TinySBS problem.

Have you tried any other SD cards, usb sticks, etc.?

Strictly speaking you can connect the computer or NAS running SBS directly to the Touch via ethernet, but that really is doing it the hard way. Configuring the network settings for a direct connection is a pain, especially if you also want the computer to connect to other things, such as the internet.

The standard setup is to use a home network router. The computer connects to the router, and so does the Touch. Done.

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Strictly speaking you can connect the computer or NAS running SBS directly to the Touch via ethernet, but that really is doing it the hard way. Configuring the network settings for a direct connection is a pain, especially if you also want the computer to connect to other things, such as the internet.

The standard setup is to use a home network router. The computer connects to the router, and so does the Touch. Done.
    I recognize you from other posts as one of the most helpful members, so I really appreciate your input, sir.

I see your point, but I'm not ready yet to give up my original idea. Of course, if I don't find the necessary information on how to figure it out it is doomed. My reason for a direct connection is that given the characteristics of my place in the world and my internet provider, I need to do the unplugging and plugging of the router too often and I would like to avoid as many playback interruptions as possible.

Again, I really thank you, and I'll be looking forward to hearing from you again.

Hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    I misunderstood what you've written.

Can you confirm that the files play okay using the Win 7 server? If so, then you're correct in assuming it's a TinySBS problem.

Have you tried any other SD cards, usb sticks, etc.?
    Thanks for asking.

Indeed, I played okay using the Win 7 laptop running the updated Squeezebox Server.

At this very moment, I'm hearing files stored in a USB powered drive. Along my purchase of the Touch I purchased a PNY Premium 32 GB Class 4 SD card. I tried USB sticks too. By the way, when one of them renders the Touch unusable (as you may have read in other threads it is needed to unplug the PS to restart it fully) I switch the storage and play until the next error and unplugging and rebooting.

As I stated, I screened all for files that might raise a flag in the full, Win 7 version of Sequeezebox Server before reattaching the media to the Touch.

The error is not related to a file as long as I can tell, as the scanning is usually finished without errors and all the files played at least once in standalone mode.

I'm really not going back to Tiny S.O.B, as I expect to receive the computer next month. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Solrac View Post
    I see your point, but I'm not ready yet to give up my original idea. Of course, if I don't find the necessary information on how to figure it out it is doomed. My reason for a direct connection is that given the characteristics of my place in the world and my internet provider, I need to do the unplugging and plugging of the router too often and I would like to avoid as many playback interruptions as possible.
    Thanks for the kind words. So if I understand you correctly (and it's very possible that I don't), you want your dedicated Win7 server to be connected directly to the Touch via ethernet, _and_ you also want that server connected to the rest of your network so that you can manage it via remote desktop and do other things with it. Assuming that the server's connection to the network is also wired, that means you're looking at a server with at least two network cards. Is that correct? And that one of the network cards will be configured to be a part of your home network, and the other will be configured to be part of a "special" network consisting of only the server and the Touch.

I am reasonably sure it is possible to set things up that way, but I am much more certain that I couldn't walk someone through the process without actually sitting at the computer. I get crosseyed even thinking about configuring two network adapters, and most of my experience with it has been trial and error. Maybe someone else will be able to help. Good luck.

I need to do the unplugging and plugging of the router too often and I would like to avoid as many playback interruptions as possible.
    It sounds like the best solution for you may be to get a cheap 5-port Ethernet switch, to use as the central Ethernet device in your network.

You plug your SBS computer, your Squeezebox, your Router, and all your other Ethernet devices into the switch. Then you can power cycle your router as much as you want without interrupting the rest of the network.

This allows you to connect everything without using crossover cables. As long as the router is running while you start your SBS computer and your Squeezebox, your devices will get their IP addresses from the router's DHCP service. The devices will continue to run (at least for several hours) without needing the router to renew their IP addresses.

How about this:

you get a separate wireless router, set it up with a different subnet and SSID than your "main" router. The Touch plugs in with an ethernet cable to the new router. The server also connects with a cable to the new router. The WAN port of the new router plugs into a LAN port of the main router. Your android phone connects to the new router SSID.

The Touch, the server and the phone all get their IP address via DHCP from the new router as usual, no special setup on any of the devices. Since the subnet is different it makes no difference if the main router is on or not. Its just there to connect to the internet for mysb.com or internet radio stations etc.

You have now created a completely separate network just for the squeezebox system that is self contained, it CAN connect to the internet if the main system is up and running, but it doesn't HAVE to.

If you want to control the server just connect the wireless on your laptop to the new SB net, it will get IP address from the new router and will be able to connect to the server.

The only setup issues will be in the new router itself. You will need to setup the subnet to be different than your main subnet and make sure you have a different SSID (wireless network name). For example if the main router has a subnet of 192.168.1.xxx make your new one is 192.168.2.xxx. An SSID of something like SBnet would make it obvious which one to connect to. If your router allows it, you CAN reserve static IP addresses for the server and the Touch, that way you always know what they are. You can let the router assign the address for a phone or laptop connected to the network.

This scheme actually works VERY well, I've done this many times. The fact that there are two routers in the path seems to work very well in most cases. The only problem is voip phones, so I reccomend you don't put voip phones on the SB network. (it CAN be done but its a more advanced topic) Going through two routers can slow down internet access slightly and add a little bit of latency, but you should never notice it for playing music.

John S.

I've just read your valuable "australian" post. I really look forward to hearing from you again, since I couldn't understand you remark "You are definitely headed for trouble free with a server over tnysbs." Would you please explain? Cheers!
    I said trouble FREE not trouble. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I said trouble FREE not trouble. ;-)
    That is your life will be easier. It will work well.