Hi! I apologize if this has been gone over 100s of times before, but I swear I've been researching this off and on for some time! I just got gifted a relatively decent piece of kit for my birthday so I'm thinking I'm going to retire the machine currently running my Squeezebox Server and install it on the new box.
Obviously, a new install on a new machine is going to require a new scan of my music files. Is there any way to retain things such as the "new music" category - of the albums most recently added? Any other things I'm missing - stats, etc, that I will want to retain on a new box? How can I best accomplish this?
Results 1 to 4 of 4
2011-08-16, 20:47 #1
- Join Date
- Nov 2007
Building new Squeezebox server PC, wondering how to transfer stats.
2011-08-16, 21:26 #2
Also note that TrackStat will only be able to restore its statistics on the new machine if the paths to the music files is the same, so if the music was in D:\Music on the old machine it needs to be in D:\Music also on the new machine. It will work without this if you have musicbrainz tags in your music files and have perform a full rescan after you added them.
The "New Music" menu is based on the last time your music files were modified, so as long as they haven't been modified since your last rescan the "New Music" menu contents should survive the transfer.Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
(Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)
You may also want to try my Android apps Squeeze Display and RSS Photo Show
Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.
2011-08-16, 21:38 #3
- Join Date
- Apr 2005
New Music should stay the same. It's based on the date that the files were last updated, so that shouldn't change.
If you need to keep library stats, I would:
- Upgrade to 7.6.1 on the old server and run a full scan. Make sure you have the same number of songs in the new library as you had before upgrading.
- Copy the database file 'persist.db', located in the prefs directory, to somewhere safe.
- Copy the music library to the new server, keeping the library path the same as on the old one. For example, if it was at E:\Media\Music, then keep it at E:\Media\Music on the new server. Don't change the drive letter or add or eliminate directories in the path, or else the URLs for songs in the persist.db won't match.
- Install 7.6.1 on the new server.
- Stop Squeezebox Server on the new server and copy the old 'persist.db' to the new server's prefs directory, overwriting the one that's there.
- Restart Squeezebox Server on the new server.
Last edited by JJZolx; 2011-08-16 at 21:56.
2011-08-17, 06:53 #4
- Join Date
- Oct 2006
- Phuket & Singapore
Moving Music IP files is important
If you use MusicIP it certainly saves a lot of time if you set up MIP on the new computer exactly the same as on the original computer. Then copy default.m3lib from the Music IP App data source on the old computer to the new. Rescanning music SBS takes an hour or two, but rescanning a large library in MusicIP can take weeks.