Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    it's ethernet. verified where you said and it shows as LAN in my router, not wireless. I've never had it connected wireless (not in a few years anyway).

it's not working. just read many threads where sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't for the duet. I turned off dhcp and did a reset. instead of giving me the option to assign an IP it assigned an APIPA IP 169.254.xx (unusable). tried it numerous times and the same thing happened.

for the touch logitech tells you how to do it like you said

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...se-a-static-ip

the thing is in theory DHCP reservation should be all I need for it to lock in the IP and never get "lost" on my network but for some reason it's happening! gonna go back to reserving it's IP and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonlw View Post
    it's not working. just read many threads where sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't for the duet. I turned off dhcp and did a reset. instead of giving me the option to assign an IP it assigned an APIPA IP 169.254.xx (unusable). tried it numerous times and the same thing happened.

for the touch logitech tells you how to do it like you said

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...se-a-static-ip

the thing is in theory DHCP reservation should be all I need for it to lock in the IP and never get "lost" on my network but for some reason it's happening! gonna go back to reserving it's IP and see how it goes.

the ip you mention sounds like it is maybe connecting to mysqueezebox.com instead of your local SbS. When it is "not connected" if you go to mysqueezebox.com do you see the duet receiver as "connected" (you should NOT see it as connected unless it is connected to mysb.com)

and correct....you should be able to use plain DHCP and have no issues.....the static IP idea just removes any odd variables with your router, etc.

it's not mysqueezebox.com

it's an appipa ip

Short for Automatic Private IP Addressing, a feature of later Windows operating systems. With APIPA, DHCP clients can automatically self-configure an IP address and subnet mask when a DHCP server isn't available
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/p...ldef_apipa.htm

it's basically a useless private ip that the router assigns when there is no dchp.

it's not mysqueezebox.com

it's an appipa ip

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/p...ldef_apipa.htm

it's basically a useless private ip that the router assigns when there is no dchp.
    Interesting. New to me. But odd too, as I have two machines running Win7 (64), SP1, so I assume as new as you can get, and I can easily turn on DHCP temporarily in my router so I can assign a static IP address to something like a SB player. The duet receiver is connected via ethernet back to your router (maybe via some switches) but not directly to your computer, correct?

the thing I copied must be old it's been around since 2000 or xp at least.

I'm not alone with this happening

http://tinyurl.com/4yy5de7

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    The duet receiver is connected via ethernet back to your router (maybe via some switches) but not directly to your computer, correct?
    yes. directly to switch. then switch to the router. happened both ways (switch or direct to router).

odd. then should be no problem getting an IP address from your router and then keeping it. I'm out of ideas. I forget whether you've reported, but what router are you using?

Linksys E1200

It's not the router that assigns these addresses, but the devices themselves.

IIRC (typing a 63 bytes long WPA key with the Controller is a pain, so I tend to avoid unnecessary tries), you need to reset both the Receiver and Controller to factory defaults to go from a DHCP to a static IP configuration, because the Controller "forwards" its configuration to the Receiver it configures.

Even if you don't go the static IP route, double check that the machine running the Squeezebox Server has a proper DHCP reservation, and that you only have one device on your network acting as a DHCP server.

I encountered this problem one time or two when I used DHCP reservations, but it didn't occur any more since I configured the server and controller with static IP addresses.

I've also been told that forcing the network_lan_address parameter with Net-UDAP, even when using DHCP, cured the problem.