Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

duet getting "lost" on network (no player recognized)

strange thing happening here lately and it's very frustrating! first of all for my set up

duet connected via ethernet to a netgear switch which is connected to a Linksys E1200 router(problems happen even connected directly to the router).

squeezebox server v7.5.3 (tried 7.5.4 and had issues and seems 7.6 has issues) running on windows home server 2003 box I built connected to the same netgear switch. windows firewall on server allows squeeze server etc.

I built the server back in may and for the most part everything has been running fine. the switch has been in use since the server was built, the router a few weeks after that.

every now and then when trying to use the duet I find that it can not be found on the network. light on duet is always solid blue when this happens.

going into my router settings the duet doesn't even show up, can't ping it etc.

at first I thought it had something to do with the duet having a static ip (DHCP reservation as my router calls it). changed it back to normal DHCP and reset the duet (held button till red and reset up via ethernet).

this worked fine for a few weeks and then all of a sudden the same thing happened again. player not found and not showing up in router setting. fwi the diagnostics screen always looks ok as far as ports etc.

this time I thought maybe it didn't like the home server being a static IP so I changed it to DHCP. I then unplugged the duet, rebooted the router and plugged the duet back in. the player then showed up in router settings and was recognized by the squeeze server. this worked for a few days.

now today the same thing! the ip of the home server hasn't changed, there are plenty of free dhcp addy's for the duet just all the sudden "no player found" and duet not showing up in router settings. rebooting the router did not work this time. I had to do a reset on the box and reset up via ethernet. worked fine but who knows for how long?! and this is hardly an acceptable solution!

fwi I have my main pc, home server, a wdtv, & the squeezebox connected to the switch and everything else works just fine! only thing not playing nice is the duet. and again the issue happens even if plugged directly into the router.

I've had the duet for a few years now and haven't had too many issues. this one is very frustrating! any thoughts, help etc etc would be great!

first step: unplug duet receiver, turn off computer, unplug router and switches. then reboot router, let start, turn on switches, turn on computer, let SbS fully start, then last plug in duet.

Also, you might want to try a true static IP (what you're calling a static IP is just a DHCP reservation, but still being provided by DHCP). When you go into the networking menu of the duet, you can set a static IP. It should be an IP address OUTSIDE the router's IP address range. In my case, my router has a DHCP range of .100 to .254

My router address is 192.168.1.1
    So I give the duet receiver an address (within the duet receiver menu) of:

(the last .xx is just something above 1 and below 100)
    Subnet is 255.255.255.0
    DNS is 192.168.1.1
    DNS2 (if needed) 192.168.1.1

in SB, if it wants 3 digits for "1" enter "001"

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    first step: unplug duet receiver, turn off computer, unplug router and switches. then reboot router, let start, turn on switches, turn on computer, let SbS fully start, then last plug in duet.

Also, you might want to try a true static IP (what you're calling a static IP is just a DHCP reservation, but still being provided by DHCP). When you go into the networking menu of the duet, you can set a static IP. It should be an IP address OUTSIDE the router's IP address range. In my case, my router has a DHCP range of .100 to .254

My router address is 192.168.1.1
    So I give the duet receiver an address (within the duet receiver menu) of:

(the last .xx is just something above 1 and below 100)
    Subnet is 255.255.255.0
    DNS is 192.168.1.1
    DNS2 (if needed) 192.168.1.1

in SB, if it wants 3 digits for "1" enter "001"
    thanks for the reply! to get to the network settings on the duet (duet receiver menu) do I need to reset the box and then do the setup again? I don't see anywhere to change the IP in the remote settings or the advanced web based settings.

my router address is also 192.168.1.1 and have it set up to give out up to 15 dhcp addys. so 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.115

so would the same settings you listed work for my setup?
    Last edited by gordonlw; 2011-08-13 at 08:51.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonlw View Post
    thanks for the reply! to get to the network settings on the duet do I need to reset the box and then do the setup again? I don't see anywhere to change the IP in the remote settings or the advanced web based settings.

my router address is also 192.168.1.1 and have it set up to give out up to 15 dhcp addys. so 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.115

so would the same settings you listed work for my setup?
    1. Sorry, my one duet receiver has been in a drawer since I replaced it with a TOUCH a few years ago, so I can't check. I recall that you can go into the menu of the receiver, maybe ADVANCED>Networking. Just not sure. look at all the options under settings, advanced, etc. But if all else fails, a factory reset will work for sure.

2. Yes, settings I mentioned would work. Just make sure the IP address you give the duet receiver is less than .100, so you could use
    192.168.1.25 (I recall you'll need to enter 192.168.001.025)
    and the rest the same: 255.255.255.0; 192.168.1.1, etc.

1. Sorry, my one duet receiver has been in a drawer since I replaced it with a TOUCH a few years ago, so I can't check. I recall that you can go into the menu of the receiver, maybe ADVANCED>Networking. Just not sure. look at all the options under settings, advanced, etc. But if all else fails, a factory reset will work for sure.

2. Yes, settings I mentioned would work. Just make sure the IP address you give the duet receiver is less than .100, so you could use
    192.168.1.25 (I recall you'll need to enter 192.168.001.025)
    and the rest the same: 255.255.255.0; 192.168.1.1, etc.
    Another approach is to temporarily turn of DHCP on your router. Then do a factory reset on duet receiver. It will fail to get IP and then ask to try again. Say OK. It will fail again, then scroll down the menu on the controller and you see something like "self assign". Then select this and give it the static IP stuff....once it is all set, go back to your router and turn DHCP back to ON.

p.s. (this is how I also set up a static IP address for the CONTROLLER and TOUCH units as well).

hmm. advanced > networking on the remote only shows

choose network (in there are wireless networks available)
    remote libraries
    switch to mysqueezebox.com

edit: just saw the second post. I'll try that.

like I said, I just can't recall. but a factory reset should get you there too.

hmm. advanced > networking on the remote only shows

choose network (in there are wireless networks available)
    remote libraries
    switch to mysqueezebox.com

edit: just saw the second post. I'll try that.
    what happens when you select "choose network"

what happens when you select "choose network"

it just shows mine and my neighbors router. ie it's just finding wireless networks. gonna mess with this when my 8 month old goes down for her nap

it just shows mine and my neighbors router. ie it's just finding wireless networks. gonna mess with this when my 8 month old goes down for her nap
    so you ARE SURE that the receiver is connected via ethernet. When you look at the information tab in SbS > Settings, you'll see your players listed. If you are on ethernet you will NOT see the wireless strength listed there....

for example, note my radio is connected via wifi (and it tells me the strength) but my touch is ethernet and it doesn't mention wifi strength.

Player Model: Squeezebox Radio
    Firmware: 7.6.1-r9468
    Player IP Address: 192.168.1.61
    Player MAC Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Wireless Signal Strength: 100%

Player Model: Squeezebox Touch
    Firmware: 7.6.1-r9478
    Player IP Address: 192.168.1.21
    Player MAC Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxx